Things You Have To Buy Over and Over

Eric

• Administrators

What are some things that you have to buy over and over, because you can never find them when you need them a second time?

One item that comes to mind for me (Because I just had to buy it again) are rolls of teflon thread tape. I just had to replace a sink faucet and ended up having to replace the cold water shutoff valve when it started leaking, the second my fingertips brushed the knob. I went to gather the tools I needed, including the roll of teflon tape I bought not two months ago, and the freaking tape was nowhere to be found. I always keep such things in the same place. I have no idea how it could have gotten away from me. So, I bought another roll of the stuff.

I have probably bought twenty rolls of teflon tape in the last decade and as far as I can remember, I've never gotten to use any of them twice. How is that possible? Anyway, I placed the roll I just purchased and used (Yeah! No leaks.) in the same place I am morally certain I placed the last roll and the one before that. I wonder if it would still be there if I went and checked right now? I am not going to, of course. I'm not stupid. What would the teflon tape tommyknockers do if I caught them in the act of absconding with my new roll of tape? Some doors (and drawers) are best left unopened. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
Just now, railfancwb said:

Hammers oddly enough 

When all you have is a nail, everything starts looking like a hammer.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators

Boxes of replacement staples for my staple are another one. I have used the same Swingline stapler for twenty years or more. I've purchased a dozen or more boxes of staples, but never got more than one or two refills out of them before they disappeared, or morphed into a staple type that does not fit the only stapler I own. How the hell does that happen? I'm telling you, someone or something is screwing with me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Pruning shears and garden trowels.  The cheap ones disappear every time I turn around.  Kids don’t put them back where they belong when they are done with them.  Or the organized eldest child gathers them all up… and creates a new storage space for them someplace they’ve never been stored before.  Some of them ended up in the chicken processing bucket for cutting off chicken feet and the blades were crap after that.  Never around and sharp when I need them… which is now, this week, before the crazy weather causes the buds to break.

• Like 3

Tools. I grew up in the trades. I did construction or property management and maintenance much of my life. So many times when working for friends and family when they had an “emergency” it was cheaper or easier to just hit the store to buy a tool instead of driving all the way back to the shop to buy one simple tool.

I have an extensive collection of tubing cutters, razor knives, pipe wrenches, sockets and screwdrivers. Things a normal homeowner should have. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Maser said:

HDMI cables.  Oddly enough I have an entire drawer dedicated to USB cables. 

and you need USB A, C, Mini, Micro and the good old "C"...  That's not including the good old Apple types.   And when you think you are done with the oldest ones and you get rid of them....  You need it..  :anim_rofl2:  

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, GT4494 said:

and you need USB A, C, Mini, Micro and the good old "C"...  That's not including the good old Apple types.   And when you think you are done with the oldest ones and you get rid of them....  You need it..  :anim_rofl2:  

My house has no Commie Apple products in it. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Administrators
10 minutes ago, gwalchmai said:

20240306_192651.jpg

If you were to put on all those glasses at once, you would probably be able to see sound.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Painters 5 in one tools. Bet I’ve bought 5 of them. I don’t know where they end up but they are a single use item. Wire nuts. I buy 500 of them every time I do an electrical project use 3, buy another bucket of them next time. I gotta have a semi load around here somewhere by now. And I agree on thread tape too. Probably have as much of that as wire nuts. Can’t find a roll when I need it, go get another case.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, GT4494 said:

And whoever the dick head was that came up with this one needs his ass kicked.image.thumb.jpeg.a8904a347762eec3c8689c66c376fa9c.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3