If you had a time machine...

Would you want to meet any of your ancestors? I don't think I would. The Grandfather Paradox is scary to think about, although it's possible that you'd doom the present just by your presence. Or maybe not. Or maybe both at the same time. And what about the Conservation of matter? A human-size hun of matter just appears in the past. Where did it come from? How do those atoms square the state of the universe before the atoms arrived? 

• Like 2

I was a history teacher. I would like to go back and observe some events in history. Not so much meeting ancestors.

Benny Goodman. Carnegie Hall 1938.

The moment Edwin Hubble confirmed his calculations on Andromeda.

Von Stubin’s report to Washington

• Like 3

I would first go forward in time and aquire a large bag of quarters, Then I would go back in time and deposit those quarters in the Oak Island Money Pit.  Then back to present time to watch the Curse of Oak Island every week until they dug them up. :dancinsmiley:

I would also love to have the opportunity to sit down and have a cup of coffee with Albert Einstein. I bet than man was a blast to hang out with! Probably a lot more fun than my ancestors.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'd like to go back and meet my Great-grandfather on my father's side He was a newspaper cartoonist in London and moved to Toranto, Canada and got a job at a newspaper there. On the journey from England, his wife died and he had two children to raise He had a number of business dealings and once had a cattle ranch in the American Southwest, He was a writer and a poet and wrote a book called "Tales of the sagebrush trails" Our family used to have a copy of that book along with some of his political cartoons From the Toronto Newspaper which were anti-American. But we've moved around a lot and those things have been lost. Later my great-grandfather moved back to Ontario Canada and remarried, and my grandfather was a child of his second marriage.

My dad knew a lot of the details of his grandfather's life and I wish he had written them down or better yet, I wish he were still here so I could ask him about those things and a lot of other things as well. I was able to meet both my Dad's grandparents on his mother's side just before they died in the early 50's and they were French Canadians and didn't speak much English. And on my mother's side both great-Grandparents were still alive in 1958. They emigrated here from Germany around the time of the civil war and settled in Iowa  in an area around Waterloo where everyone was from the same region in Germany and they were all farmers.

Other than that, I'd like to go back in time to the early 1980's when I was first married to my first wife and she was young and beautiful and were having sex constantly.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, jmohme said:

I would first go forward in time and aquire a large bag of quarters, Then I would go back in time and deposit those quarters in the Oak Island Money Pit.  Then back to present time to watch the Curse of Oak Island every week until they dug them up. :dancinsmiley:

Which would be more stunning to the discoverers, the dates on the coins or absence of silver?

• Haha 2

I'd like to meet the ancestors that moved up to PA from SC in a covered wagon pulled by two oxen, until a mountain lion jumped down out of a tree and broke on the ox's shoulders, and they had to make the rest of the trip with  the milk cow hitched in place of the dead ox after they had to put it out of its misery.  I just think it would be interesting to listen to their stories.  Also, I'd like to listen to the ones that were living in NC/TN in the late 1700s.  

• Like 4

If I could hold time in a bottle....

Funny you posted this.  My devotion yesterday was about God making all things new and after returning from seeing my wife's family and attending a memorial, it definitely meant more.  Time is our most valuable commodity.  A day is coming where God restores and renews, a new heaven and a new earth as the old passes away.  New bodies and fellowship with God and those who went before.

I think even the earth groans from the weight it carries.   Stewie went back in time and he didn't do so well.  

• Like 6

One Grandpa was a extremely political Admiral during the war. "Son, I am dissapoint".

I'd like to meet the some of us that trapped muskrat, practiced spitting at targets, and had a stash of hootch out in the hills.

We'd par-tay.

(oh, and I'd make him a gazillionaire so we could properly party by the time I came along)

• Like 1

First I would go back and save Marilyn  then I would

go  and deal with shooters on the grassy knoll before they got to fire any shots, then tell JFK that Lyndon Johnson and the mob were out to kill him.

Then go home to Marilyn and do the nasty again

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, geeorge said:

then tell JFK that Lyndon Johnson and the mob were out to kill him.

LBJ is a strong contender for a position on my list of three worst presidents. There’s a lot of competition to be on that list. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/6/2024 at 12:41 PM, Huaco Kid said:

I read a lot of sci-fi.  I'd take some of those storylines,  amplify them, and absolutely mess up our existence.

mash.webp.3b879211813c70f7c728d0994288f3e4.webp

I know Calvin developed a transmogrifer. Wonder if it also had settings for time travel. 

IMG_8821.jpeg

• Haha 4