Anyone else here had a really good year despite it all.

jmohme

I'm in a lot better physical shape than I was at the start of the year. I'll turn 50 in a month, and I can do 50 standard pushups, 100 burpees in just over nine minutes (I call that the NDE workout. Near Death Experience), and am beating my personal records from last year on all conditioning workouts.

There are a LOT of people in a lot better shape, but this is all very good for me.

My major innovation was switching to "barefoot" shoes. That seemed to take about 15 years off my knees. I believe the folks who think that modern shoes are a major contributor to injuries, chronic pain, etc. The elevated heel and restraint are not natural or helpful.

Edited by Brad
  • Like 3

36 minutes ago, Duluth said:

I'm in the retail liquor business. Sales are great. People are working at home and drinking wine out of coffee cups in front of their bosses during Zoom meetings.

My wife is in the heart and liver replacement business.   And you can bet it's going to be great years from now.

• Like 1

This year was hard on me as a person who deals with depression.  But there were glimmers of light that made things better.

I could have done without a few funerals this year.  But i have a felling I'll get some baptisms to go to soon.

(i know what you people were doing during lock down!)

The family is healthy.  The wife is almost done with graduate school.  Praise be to God my parents are well.

And i raised over 5000 pounds of food for various organizations locally.   I also raised about $5000 for an ultra sound machine at a pro-life women's clinic.    Because i could work home about 50 percent of the time i was able to spend some very special time with my Little Historian who is growing up way to fast. 

Had some major projects at work complete.   The best was a ComVault installation with three locations and even a tape backup.   I feel we're secure for the first time in ever. 

And i feel very grateful for TBS and you guys.

It's pretty rare to find a mellow place like this.   Your really a bunch of good guys (and a few gals) out there.

Edited by Historian
  • Like 10

I finally reached one goal of jogging at four miles an hour for 20 minutes straight on my treadmill. For a some what fat guy I was happy but my  knees weren’t but the hell with them. Still alive got a home got food so there’s that. I lost one of my closet friends which really sucked. I found turning off the gloom and doom news does a lot for your sanity. Watch a cartoon and laugh. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm alive, didn't have to go to any doctors the entire year, bought 2 cars and a ton of other "****", spent tons of time at my local beach, so yeah, I shouldn't complain.

Regarding the virus, I can deal with that... even walking around with a mask in stores etc. But what really fucked this year up is the massive voter manipulation and the left seemingly getting away with it. I'm 100% certain that 2020 is the turning point for America. So no matter how ignorant one wants to be, this year is in fact a nightmare.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Politics aside, and also aside from having to deal with some other people's mental issues re:Covid and 2020 BS, I had a decent year, personally.  I got a lot done on the farm/garden/animal/bee front.  I found a massage therapist who is good enough that I can stand up straighter than I have been able to in several years, with a lot less pain.  I had a chance to test some prepping stuff in this faux emergency.  I didn't run out of toilet paper or ammo, although there were a couple calibers that obviously needed greater stockpiles going forward. Nobody died.  And while not all the people I care about are healthy (Cancer sucks!), they are still enjoying life.

I would prefer 2021 to be a little less stressful for my oldest daughter than 2020 has been (she graduated HS this year, and started college, and it sucked, and she made the US National Team again (kettlebell), but obviously couldn't go to Worlds in Russia, and that was seriously disappointing for her.  And with her gym closed for so many months, her performance has seriously suffered (even though she kept up workouts at home, it wasn't the same without her coach present, and she doesn't think she'll even be back to her 2019 Worlds performance by tryouts in 2021...So, while my year was personally ok, I spent a lot of it concerned for her.

I just have this nightmare that 2021 will look at 2020 and say, "Hold my beer..."

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

Politics aside, and also aside from having to deal with some other people's mental issues re:Covid and 2020 BS, I had a decent year, personally.  I got a lot done on the farm/garden/animal/bee front.  I found a massage therapist who is good enough that I can stand up straighter than I have been able to in several years, with a lot less pain.  I had a chance to test some prepping stuff in this faux emergency.  I didn't run out of toilet paper or ammo, although there were a couple calibers that obviously needed greater stockpiles going forward. Nobody died.  And while not all the people I care about are healthy (Cancer sucks!), they are still enjoying life.

I would prefer 2021 to be a little less stressful for my oldest daughter than 2020 has been (she graduated HS this year, and started college, and it sucked, and she made the US National Team again (kettlebell), but obviously couldn't go to Worlds in Russia, and that was seriously disappointing for her.  And with her gym closed for so many months, her performance has seriously suffered (even though she kept up workouts at home, it wasn't the same without her coach present, and she doesn't think she'll even be back to her 2019 Worlds performance by tryouts in 2021...So, while my year was personally ok, I spent a lot of it concerned for her.

I just have this nightmare that 2021 will look at 2020 and say, "Hold my beer..."

I remain optimistic about 2021 and hope I am not spitting into the wind.

Regardless. I found ways to keep things bright through all of the 2020 crap and will do my best to make the best of this coming year. I hope that you and your daughter can do the same.

• Thanks 1

When ya get to be older, and crap like this BS virus hype, and other hype... gets to "mezmerzing" everybody...My lady and I go back to when we lived over seas.  We mix our drinks bout 6, and play Backgammon, till we put dinner on.  If you've never lived as a minority, in another country...It's an interesting thing. 

Backgammon, sittin across from my lady,...talkin ****...After 52 years of marriage...Yeah, Life is good...:biggrin:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Jan- visited my parents in NC.

Feb- Got hired to work as a NP in my ER.

Apr- Furloughed when covid spun up and nobody was going to the ER.

May- New urgent care NP gig started.

Early July- I got tha rona. Like ta died.

Late July- Wrecked my truck.

Oct- Opened new clinic in Phoenix

Nov- Got promotion and raise.

So, 2 months off work with no pay, a life threatening illness, a vehicle accident. Not to mention the stresses that we are all undergoing with all the societal and medical concerns. Funny thing is, I've always been a bit on the negative side, but somehow, I've accepted and bounced from all the hits so far this year. I really think my perspective changed with getting so sick. I'm by no means an optimist now, but processing and dealing with problems happens without the negativity and excess worry. The missus is able to not work while she's in school, and somehow, the numbers in the bank and retirement accounts continue to go up. I think things are going superbly, considering all the hits I've absorbed. Somehow, I became the voice of reason, patience, and temperance among my friends. This would have never happened before July. As mentioned, there have been a few funerals, a few births. I'm fortunate that my parents have maintained vigilant distancing. I miss them horribly, but we talk regularly. Hopefully soon, we'll all be able to hang out without fear of bringing illness to the dinner table. 

• Like 3

Tad you are going to remember this last year as a year of changes.  I bet....in some ways 10 maybe 20 years from now....

You'll remember the positive more than the negative.

You say your not an optimist...i don't know about that...more like a positive realist who chews on challenges...and makes something of it.

Edited by Historian
  • Thanks 1