Anyone else here had a really good year despite it all.

jmohme

I'm retired, and my wife has worked from home since mid March.  They have been very busy - 3 to 5 times Christmas volume all year.  So financially, we're good.

When the lockdown/limited hours, etc hit - I realized that boredom would be a problem.  We have a really nice dinner at least once a week.  And MANY movies.

During the summer, our MGB was our main entertainment.  Nice evenings, top down, my wife, and fun roads.  A lot of driving to go 'nowhere'.  ?

My daughter has been at school in France - that is a bunch of different adventures, right there,  but she's doing well and that's what is important

We know a few folks who caught the 'rona...  and recovered.   But they don't recommend getting it.   One friend is still dealing with it 6 months later....

Being away from folks has been a bummer.  All car club events cancelled has been a bummer....

We had our first ever Thanksgiving NOT surrounded by a bunch of family and friends.  We had a nice (but a bit weird) Thanksgiving on our own.

First time in almost 100 years my extended family is not having our Christmas eve party.  Lots of old folks.

So, for me, 2020 is kind of neutral.  We've enjoyed as much of our time as possible,  but it has distanced a lot of friendships.

• Like 1

Rona reminds me that the Black Plague killed half the population of Europe and still they managed to keep an upper lip stiff. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcbR1J_4ICg

Things could be better, things could be worse. All in all, a normal year.

Highlight, new neighbor with three delightful kids and the cutest Pyrenean Mountain puppy ever. As the little one says, Jasper loves me.

The neighbor on the other side keeps sending lighted messages and the two main surveillance cameras haven't moved.

So yeah, normal year. Alle Jahre Wieder! ?

Edited by Ricordo

It’s been weird. Me and my wife(firefighter and ER nurse) have been working. So that hasn’t changed. But work for both of us had gotten different between patients, PPE, and protocols. I ended up getting COVID from work. So far she’s been healthy.

Social life had been different. We don’t go out much.

My family had been healthy. But we don’t see them.

I was thinking about retirement this year. At this juncture, what’s the point. Maybe next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have survived another year with no major health issues(that's a minor miracle in itself), my wife, son, and everyone else in my immediate family are doing well, my wife is working,  I have my SSI/disability, and the dogs and cats are good. We are warm, our bellies are full, and we have a roof over our heads. I cannot complain at all.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Fnfalman said:

It’s called The Fall of Saigon. 

My neighbor lived next to Ton San Nhut Air Base when South Vietnam fell. A few years later he and his family escaped, and he and a few others made it after their boat sunk. I am not sure what country they made it to(we were drinking a bit when he told me about it) but he spent 5 years in an internment camp. I now understand how you feel about having experienced a societal collapse.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've been struggling with health issues all year but things are finally looking up. I havn't been able to walk very well and needed surgery on my foot and the surgery was delayed at the VA hospital because of the effing Covid shutdowns. But I finally had the surgery done last month and just had the stitches taken out the other day and now I can walk without crutches and I can drive my car and the foot appears to be healing nicely.

I would have liked to have had the surgery done and be on crutches when the weather was nice and there was no snow on the ground, but so far this winter had been very mild  and there hasn't been much snow. I didn't like having to depend so much on my family while I was laid up, but I'm thankful that I have family who is there when I need them.

All of my minor trials and tribulations don't amount to diddly squat compared to Joe Biden getting elected president in a dishonest election and putting the corrupt Democrats in charge of our government.

Edited by Borg warner
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Clancy said:

My neighbor lived next to Ton San Nhut Air Base when South Vietnam fell. A few years later he and his family escaped, and he and a few others made it after their boat sunk. I am not sure what country they made it to(we were drinking a bit when he told me about it) but he spent 5 years in an internment camp. I now understand how you feel about having experienced a societal collapse.

My family only spent three years in a refugee camp because luckily my father was an ARVN officer and my mom was a translator for the US Embassy and the American government was avid to track down and verified that information. 

some people spent ten years or more in refugee camps. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Fnfalman said:

My family only spent three years in a refugee camp because luckily my father was an ARVN officer and my mom was a translator for the US Embassy and the American government was avid to track down and verified that information. 

some people spent ten years or more in refugee camps. 

You have shared a lot with us over the years.   Have you considered putting your family history in a book?  If nothing else for your family to have?   Things like this are important to remember forever.

• Like 1

On 12/18/2020 at 9:36 PM, Swampfox762 said:

When ya get to be older, and crap like this BS virus hype, and other hype... gets to "mezmerzing" everybody...My lady and I go back to when we lived over seas.  We mix our drinks bout 6, and play Backgammon, till we put dinner on.  If you've never lived as a minority, in another country...It's an interesting thing. 

Backgammon, sittin across from my lady,...talkin ****...After 52 years of marriage...Yeah, Life is good...:biggrin:

52 years, holy cow. Congratulations. I wish you many more.

We hit 36 last August and I hope that we will make 52.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As bad as 2020 was for some, I will be turning 70 though I do not feel 70, I have my health, a great daughter and Son-in-Law who treats her as a queen and 2 beautiful, healthy grandsons that I get to see almost everyday. So as far as I am concern the saying "Life is Good" applies to me and missus.

Edited by VinD
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1