Random Posting

Eric

25 minutes ago, tous said:

Consider that in order to attain a post-graduate degree, one must a) write a master's thesis (at least in my day) and b) write a doctoral dissertation.

None of these documents are considered valid if poorly written and the degree will nor be awarded.

I understand that it is popular to characterize those with post-graduate degrees as somehow being oafs, absent-minded, eccentric or just plain clueless compared to the cool kids.

Oh he is not an oaf. His scholastic works took years or months to write and rewrite. Lots of support in review and revision. Even tougher because English is not his native tongue. 

It is a lot different in industry where he gets hit with short timelines to have grants, proposals or technical manuals due. His strength is not writing. He hires someone who has those skills. 

I think it is crappy to think someone is an oaf because they are not experts in every aspect of their field. But they are smart enough to find people who are better in those facets of the job. 

6 minutes ago, Batesmotel said:

Oh he is not an oaf. His scholastic works took years or months to write and rewrite. Lots of support in review and revision. Even tougher because English is not his native tongue. 

It is a lot different in industry where he gets hit with short timelines to have grants, proposals or technical manuals due. His strength is not writing. He hires someone who has those skills. 

I think it is crappy to think someone is an oaf because they are not experts in every aspect of their field. But they are smart enough to find people who are better in those facets of the job. 

I may be odd in that I like to write and I take pride in doing it well, but there were instances where my attention was focused on solving the problem, not documenting it.  We had others that did that.

I agree that one should spent their time doing what is valuable, not what is required.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tous said:

Consider that in order to attain a post-graduate degree, one must a) write a master's thesis (at least in my day) and b) write a doctoral dissertation.

None of these documents are considered valid if poorly written and the degree will nor be awarded.

I understand that it is popular to characterize those with post-graduate degrees as somehow being oafs, absent-minded, eccentric or just plain clueless compared to the cool kids.

I never intended to ridicule the possessor of an advanced degree.  I did, however, experience that some highly intelligent people wrote poorly when the writing was not of primary importance to them.  The idea was.

A thesis was the culmination of years of hard intensive work.  As such, it had the advantage of many, many hours or review and re-writing by alternative editors.  

Our Company proposals didn't get that kind of critiquing.  We also acquired Billion dollar programs as a result of our proposals.

Edited by janice6
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, railfancwb said:

Spam is a diet staple and menu item in Hawaii

I remember seeing gift packs of Spam in South Korea when I was there.  I didn't know there were that many varieties (and frankly never cared) but I thought it was interesting that a product like that was considered to be an appropriate gift.

3 hours ago, Cougar_ml said:

I remember seeing gift packs of Spam in South Korea when I was there.  I didn't know there were that many varieties (and frankly never cared) but I thought it was interesting that a product like that was considered to be an appropriate gift.

A variation on the gift card with less versatility. 

• Eric changed the title to BookFace
  • Eric locked this topic
  • Eric pinned this topic
  • Eric unpinned and unlocked this topic