Saint Patrick's Day Celebration??

FullClip

Think the extent of my Saint Patrick's Day festivities this year will be having a few cans of Guinness while watching The Player's golf tournament. Supposed to be a cold rainy day here.   I prefer the canned over the bottled stuff as the cans have the "widget".   No stinking "corned beef and cabbage" in my house despite my Irish genes.

Anybody here make a big deal of the "holiday"??

• Like 8

17 minutes ago, DAKA said:

Corned beef on rye bread  at the local Jewish Deli !!  :anim_rofl2:

Bringing some corned beef ruebens over to my parents for lunch from a local deli (chef owned).  He makes some awesome concoctions.  But the parents wanted ruebens.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, minderasr said:

Bringing some corned beef ruebens over to my parents for lunch from a local deli (chef owned).  He makes some awesome concoctions.  But the parents wanted ruebens.

Great idea... maybe some potato pancakes and applesauce too

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, DAKA said:

Great idea... maybe some potato pancakes and applesauce too

That deli has full St Paddy's Day dinners on the menu.  Everything made in house.  But the parents wanted ruebens.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, minderasr said:

That deli has full St Paddy's Day dinners on the menu.  Everything made in house.  But the parents wanted ruebens.

Sounds great   Where ?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Salt Lake holds a pretty good parade. I used to participate with the Shrine Band but the band disbanded a few years ago. I haven’t been to the parade since.

Lots of Irish and English pubs here also so finding a party and good food is easy.

• Like 3

Wife already got the head of cabbage, and corned beef ready to go plus I got a few bottles of Guiness laying around.  Don't like the can because of the widget.  First time I ever had one I thought it was a manufacture defect and threw the whole six-pack away.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I played bagpipes in the St. Paddy's Day parade for thirty some years until my knees went bad and I couldn't march any more. When we got the latest Sheriff, he moved the  after parade party out of Pittsburgh to his home town so I haven't attended the party since covid cancelled them in 2020. I'll just enjoy some whisky and corned beef with cabbage, potatoes and carrots. tom. :kiltsmilie:

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Batesmotel said:

Salt Lake holds a pretty good parade. I used to participate with the Shrine Band but the band disbanded a few years ago. I haven’t been to the parade since.

Lots of Irish and English pubs here also so finding a party and good food is easy.

I marched in our Shrine band as well. The Sheriff was President of the Shrine Pipe band for a few years so the Shrine band was the Sheriff's band on St. Paddy's day. The rest of the year we were the Shrine band for around fifty parades and performances per year. tom.

• Like 7

I don't mind the widget so much in the can of draught Guinness, it's the flavor that gets me.

The bottle version is carbonated like I'm used to and has a rich sour flavor.  The can version is nearly 100% flat and has much less taste.  That widget sure does not work very well.

If you like Guinness, seek out the Foreign Extra Stout.  It comes in a 4 pack of bottles and is out of this world good.

gfxs.PNG

• Like 3

I've already started celebrating. I had corned beef and cabbage last night and tonight I'll have some leftover Corned beef on Rye with Swiss cheese. Orowheat makes a really good Jewish Rye.

My mother was German on both sides and my father was English and French with a little bit of Irish on the English side. He traced the family back to the 1600's and went to the village in England where the family came from. Our people were the shoemakers of the village.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, FullClip said:

Think the extent of my Saint Patrick's Day festivities this year will be having a few cans of Guinness while watching The Player's golf tournament. Supposed to be a cold rainy day here.   I prefer the canned over the bottled stuff as the cans have the "widget".   No stinking "corned beef and cabbage" in my house despite my Irish genes.

Anybody here make a big deal of the "holiday"??

I'm with ya on the corned beef and cabbage.

My dad always insisted on that nasty stuff on St Patricks day and we don't even have any irish in our family.

Not at all a fan of Gunniss either, but would not complain about a touch of Irish Whiskey.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, jmohme said:

I'm with ya on the corned beef and cabbage.

My dad always insisted on that nasty stuff on St Patricks day and we don't even have any irish in our family.

Not at all a fan of Gunniss either, but would not complain about a touch of Irish Whiskey.

Not everybody likes cabbage but being half German, how could I not like it? And I love saurkraut as well, and Kim Chee, too. (edit) And Cole Slaw! cabbage is good stuff,

But the thing is with corned beef and cabbage, you first boil the corned beef and the spices in water, and for good measure I further season  mine with Old Bay Lemon and Herb, Cavender's Greek seasoning, and Cayenne Pepper, and then when the corned beef is done,  cook the cabbage in the same water as the corned beef, and that's the ONLY way to make good corned beef and cabbage! It's also important not to overcook the corned beef, or under-cook the cabbage. :599c64b15e0f8_thumbsup:

• Like 4

Last time I bought a corned beef I got it home froze it and got it the night before and thawed in the fridge and went to cook it and it was rotten. I checked them out at the store and I ain’t paying damn near 30 bucks for one. I’ll just do a nice steak and some mushrooms. Don’t care for any brand of Guinness so probably some local beer. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Borg warner said:

Not everybody likes cabbage but being half German, how could I not like it? And I love saurkraut as well, and Kim Chee, too.

But the thing is with corned beef and cabbage, you first boil the corned beef and the spices in water, and for good measure I further season  mine with Old Bay Lemon and Herb, Cavender's Greek seasoning, and Cayenne Pepper, and then when the corned beef is done,  cook the cabbage in the same water as the corned beef, and that's the ONLY way to make good corned beef and cabbage! It's also important not to overcook the corned beef, or under-cook the cabbage. :599c64b15e0f8_thumbsup:

I love cabbage raw or as sauerkraut.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Huaco Kid said:

Do brussel sprouts count?

I prefer them cooked very soft in a huge glub of butter but just-plain-steamed, and all manner in between, is fine.

I'll bet we don't have any.

dang.

Cabbage on a stick!. 

• Haha 3