Insurance problems.

Batesmotel

A friend just lost his auto insurance. He had one of those devices installed to give the insurance company feedback on his driving to get a good driving discount. It backfired.

He works at a petroleum refinery. His job requires him to drive all over manually inspecting gauges, sensors etc as a backup to the automated systems. He does this with a little cart or walking in good weather. In the cold he drives his car.

The insurance company found his day filled with dozens of trips as short as 40 feet suspicious. Strike one.

They couldn’t understand why all of these trips were at the same time every night and within one square mile. Strike two.

The killer was that he doesn’t put on his seatbelt for these 40 foot trips. At 5 MPH. On private property. At night. With no other traffic. Strike three  

The device in the car logged that he wears his seatbelt less than 10% of the time.

The investigator’s kconclusion. Unsafe driver involved in illegal activity in a car they insured. Insurance cancelled.

• Like 3
  • Sad 5

1 hour ago, Batesmotel said:

A friend just lost his auto insurance. He had one of those devices installed to give the insurance company feedback on his driving to get a good driving discount. It backfired.

He works at a petroleum refinery. His job requires him to drive all over manually inspecting gauges, sensors etc as a backup to the automated systems. He does this with a little cart or walking in good weather. In the cold he drives his car.

The insurance company found his day filled with dozens of trips as short as 40 feet suspicious. Strike one.

They couldn’t understand why all of these trips were at the same time every night and within one square mile. Strike two.

The killer was that he doesn’t put on his seatbelt for these 40 foot trips. At 5 MPH. On private property. At night. With no other traffic. Strike three  

The device in the car logged that he wears his seatbelt less than 10% of the time.

The investigator’s kconclusion. Unsafe driver involved in illegal activity in a car they insured. Insurance cancelled.

They are watching  I think that is Allstate??

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Batesmotel said:

I get it. It bites, and they don't care to understand, but yep, I get it.

Sad part, even if a stellar report, he probably wouldn't have saved enough to matter much. It may make it hard to get a new policy at a decent rate now. Double whammy.

Keep Big Brother out of your business.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, Batesmotel said:

Who was the carrier?  Maybe a good injury trial attorney is needed.  We tried that with Liberty I think.   The app was showing a lot of BS.  It was quite sensitive.  We ditched it and when s9meone asks we always decline.   Don't lots of cars have black boxes anyway?  We have a tracker in the Work SUV and boss said no one checks it.  He is right after 7 years of driving some HNW people around even after a hit n run.  When no one is in SUV, it gets driven hard.  I requested a front/back cam system after hit n run but no one seemed too interested.

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, Batesmotel said:

If he protested and told how he was using it off road for his job, they would probly then cancel him for using his personal vehcle for work purposes.  I know that I was asked specificly by an insurance agent once if I used my pickup for my job. I don't know what would have happend if I had answerd yes. At the very least, I would guess that my rates would go up.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, minderasr said:

Most insurance carriers are trying this.  For me GEICO is forever trying to get me to install their app on my smart phone (which will serve the same purpose as the device) "to save even more".  No thank you.

I see no way that a company supplying a service to me will grant me any benefit from their monitoring my personal habits.  Quite the contrary.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 12/23/2023 at 1:04 PM, Fog said:

Insurance is a government mandated scam, brought to you by your clueless elected legislators that are bought and paid for by the insurance companies.

If it was not mandated it would be much cheaper.

If that wasn’t the case, vehicle liability coverage would be provided per driver rather than per vehicle. I’m the only person in my household. Why should each of my vehicles have liability coverage? ANS: Insurance company/agent profits. 

• Like 4

On 12/25/2023 at 5:01 PM, railfancwb said:

If that wasn’t the case, vehicle liability coverage would be provided per driver rather than per vehicle. I’m the only person in my household. Why should each of my vehicles have liability coverage? ANS: Insurance company/agent profits. 

If you have a meeyun dollar personal umbrella policy can you opt out of the vehicle liability requirement? 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, gwalchmai said:

If you have a meeyun dollar personal umbrella policy can you opt out of the vehicle liability requirement? 

Probably not. Most such umbrella policies require first liability coverage to be provided by basic vehicle and homeowner or tenant policies. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As a rule illegals don't have insurance, license, or registration.

They get stopped, car gets towed, they paid way less for it than a year of insurance.

They get a ticket, no matter, they won't show up or pay.

The car gets sold at auction, their buddy buys it, he's semi-legit, just enough to get the paperwork the state requires for the auction, he pays $150 for the clapped out junker.

Next illegal buys clapped out junker for $900 and starts driving with no insurance, no registration, no license. 

81 days later the car gets towed again, for no insurance.

First guy bought another car for $1000 He drives 6 months and then gets stopped for expired registration. No insurance, so car gets towed.

He is arrested for failure to appear, taken to jail and fingerprinted, then released due to lack of room and given a court date, lost a whole four hours of his life, but they fed him once.

No matter, he won't appear and won't pay.

He calls his buddy and buys another car for $800.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

Well we had Farmers and home ins. Was up for renewal.  $800 increase with no claims since we started with them 2 yrs ago.  

A local Allstate office sent a ltr out so I call.  $900 savings on home and a grand on the cars.  My credit score went up lately and I think an accident dropped from our history.  I check carriers once a year.  It is freaking crazy.

• Like 4

On 12/27/2023 at 4:43 PM, Fog said:

As a rule illegals don't have insurance, license, or registration.

They get stopped, car gets towed, they paid way less for it than a year of insurance.

They get a ticket, no matter, they won't show up or pay.

The car gets sold at auction, their buddy buys it, he's semi-legit, just enough to get the paperwork the state requires for the auction, he pays $150 for the clapped out junker.

Next illegal buys clapped out junker for $900 and starts driving with no insurance, no registration, no license. 

81 days later the car gets towed again, for no insurance.

First guy bought another car for $1000 He drives 6 months and then gets stopped for expired registration. No insurance, so car gets towed.

He is arrested for failure to appear, taken to jail and fingerprinted, then released due to lack of room and given a court date, lost a whole four hours of his life, but they fed him once.

No matter, he won't appear and won't pay.

He calls his buddy and buys another car for $800.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

Absolutely correct,.............

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

I had to drive through Killadelphia's worst area for a week, at work.

They TRY to get you to crash into them. Wave you on at a light or sign and Bam!, your fault.

The always-assembled street crowd then pulls you out, stomps and robs you, and the police and ambulance-chasers are already on scene by the time you regain consciousness, with every witness saying it was your fault.
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

On 12/22/2023 at 9:26 PM, Cougar_ml said:

I did the little tracker thing through progressive years ago not too long after they started.

My rate went down a decent amount.  My wife's did not.

Even the insurance company agreed that I'm a better driver than her.

No doubt the gentleman in you has kept you from EVER mentioning it. Right?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1