What do you use to lubricate hinges?

gwalchmai

A new wrinkle. Someone pointed out the tactical advantage of having a squeaky door and knowing just exactly where in its arc it squeaks. They said not to forget that movie in which Kim Basinger pinches tails and sucks heads... And a gerbil may have been tangentially involved. 

• Like 1

On 9/15/2022 at 12:51 PM, Mrs.Cicero said:

White grease.  I'm waiting for someone to complain that's racist, but since it works...

problem is white grease doesn't penetrate, to get it to work properly you have the pull the hinge pin apply the lube then put the pin back in

• Like 2

On 9/15/2022 at 2:58 AM, gwalchmai said:

OK, it's Autumn. Seems about this time every year I notice a door hinge squeaking and go around and oil the worst ones. Currently our bedroom door has a squeak for about the first 10 - 15 degrees before it closes. Mary Ann the Cat has learned that at 2AM she can gently open and close this door and I'll eventually get up, grumble, and latch the door. At this point Mary Ann giggles archly, elbows her two sisters, and they all have a good snicker at my expense. 

Any suggestions for a long-lasting lubricant that will stay put and stop the squeaks? Mobile1 synthetic is my goto lube but I'm bendy...

Spit on it.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, geeorge said:

problem is white grease doesn't penetrate, to get it to work properly you have the pull the hinge pin apply the lube then put the pin back in

I’ve always pulled the pin.  Even when I used something other than white grease.  Every door in the house squeaks if you just spray stuff at it.   

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

I’ve always pulled the pin.  Even when I used something other than white grease.  Every door in the house squeaks if you just spray stuff at it.   

I have "safety hinges" and the pins have to be driven out from the bottom. I use a needle bottle to put a drop on the crack around the pin, but sometimes I have to drive one out a little to get oil on the pin. 

• Like 2

On 9/15/2022 at 5:12 PM, railfancwb said:

Once upon a time “white lead” was an industrial lubricant which could have worked. But lead…

Years ago I stopped in a Montgomery Wards hardware section on my way home from work.  I asked the old lady that waited on me for "White Lead Putty". I had some windows to redo.  She went on a tirade about "Lead".  I walked away and found a clerk that was a big help.  I know of very few people that eat windows.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

I have a fascination for Marvel Mystery Oil.  It's good light oil I use for everything.  Back when cars required work, I added it to the gasoline occasionally as an upper cylinder lubricant.  Very high detergent and good film strength.

Besides!  How could it not be marvelous with a name of "Marvel Mystery Oil???????????

• Like 6

8 hours ago, tous said:

I thought that Georgia folk lubricated everything with hog fat.

Was I misinformed?

:eyelashes:

I've been advised, by someone who should know, that possum fat is slicker than hog fat. I believe that Red & Tacky is developing a possum flavor, to be sold exclusively at Dollar General.

• Haha 5

8 hours ago, janice6 said:

I have a fascination for Marvel Mystery Oil.  It's good light oil I use for everything.  Back when cars required work, I added it to the gasoline occasionally as an upper cylinder lubricant.  Very high detergent and good film strength.

Besides!  How could it not be marvelous with a name of "Marvel Mystery Oil???????????

You know what they make that out of, right?

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, janice6 said:

This stuff work great on door hinges.

20220917_055505.jpg.f46bd792b33caafa7de5be6a43a5a07a.jpg

• Like 3

16 hours ago, janice6 said:

Years ago I stopped in a Montgomery Wards hardware section on my way home from work.  I asked the old lady that waited on me for "White Lead Putty". I had some windows to redo.  She went on a tirade about "Lead".  I walked away and found a clerk that was a big help.  I know of very few people that eat windows.

Don't you sop that lube up with a biscuit? Probably goes great with cornbread, but a bit crumbly for the purpose. You don't know what you are missing.

Many of the folks here are from the eating paint chips (I never remember seeing any of these, but they were in the wheelhouse of my childhood), water hose drinking, back of the pickup riding, walking to school, riding in the back glass deck, gettin a whoopin generation. Somehow we survived.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, janice6 said:

Back when someone thought it was a good idea to put paraffin in motor oil, I had an intake screen sludge up. It was a common problem. PITA, and went ahead and replaced the oil pump while I was in there, because it was only 2 or 4 more bolts, don't remember, but cleaning the screen and uptake was a mess.

Every oil change, it would get a dose of MMO and run for 40-50 miles then drain oil. Never had another one do that. Not sure I would have anyway, but it was cheap insurance and when a head was taken off to replace something, the shop commented on the condition of the engine. Said it was pristine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/16/2022 at 6:48 PM, gwalchmai said:

I have "safety hinges" and the pins have to be driven out from the bottom. I use a needle bottle to put a drop on the crack around the pin, but sometimes I have to drive one out a little to get oil on the pin. 

I pulled the pins on my doors in 2001 and lubed them with soap. I haven't had a squeaker since then. A little extra work, so often saves you more work later on.

Edit: 2011, not 2001. oops

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I have Ballistol in my gun bag that I use for general gun cleaning and a quick lube. Before I had that, I had a can of Rem-oil. It's now on a shelf by itself in my closet. Since I no longer use it for gun purposes, the Rem-oil is easier to grab for hinges than the WD40 in the garage or the Ballistol with the gun stuff.

To summarize Paul Harrell, I'm in no way telling you what YOU should use. I'm only telling you what I use. 

• Thanks 1

I had a bedroom door that squeaked. This post prompted the pins to come out and be cleaned. They were still pretty wet. 

Put generous rub of bar soap ( I had completely forgotten that old hack) and all is quiet and life is as it should be again.

Can't really complain, none of them have been serviced in 19 years. Might should pull all of them and service.

• Like 1