The snowpocalypse/snowmagedon

Sparks

On 2/16/2021 at 12:32 PM, M&P15T said:

Chicago just got over 2.5' of snow. Texas is frozen and largely without power.

Weather forecasting isn't perfect. In fact it's usually wrong.

I was without electric service from Sunday from about 01:00 hours until Tuesday at around 19:00 hours.

Temperature in the house went from 68F to 42F.

I survived.  I could read while there was daylight, but at night I was pretty much left with  nothing but my mind to entertain me.  :dancinsmiley:

I shall engage in the useless, but again assert: let engineers, not politicians,  solve engineering problems.

Politicians can set policy.  If they believe, or more likely it is to their advantage, they can propose a policy that the country transition from fossil fuel-powered power plants to so-called green solutions.

Politicians then should determine a schedule, come up with a budget and then get the Hell out of the way.

That is how we got fellers walking around on the Moon.

Yes, I am old and tend to engage in unattainable fantasy.  :sigh:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, tous said:

I was without electric service from Sunday from about 01:00 hours until Tuesday at around 19:00 hours.

I survived.  I could read while there was daylight, but at night I was pretty much left with  nothing but my mind to entertain me.  :dancinsmiley:

I shall engage in the useless, but again assert: let engineers, not politicians,  solve engineering problems.

Politicians can set policy.  If they believe, or more likely it is to their advantage, they can propose a policy that the country transition from fossil fuel-powered power plants to so-called green solutions.

Politicians then should determine a schedule, come up with a budget and then get the Hell out of the way.

Good to see that you made it thru that nastiness. tom. :cowboy2:

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, tous said:

As I recall Ted Kennedy kept windmills away from the coast of Cape Cod because they would spoil his view. 

42 minutes ago, tous said:

Need some good old nuclear power

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Dric902 said:

Need some good old nuclear power

I agree, but that is politically and culturally unlikely due to the public's fear of so-called China Syndrome.

They ignore the facts that very few people have died as a direct result of a nuclear plant failure and more folk have died as the result of fossil-fueled plant failures by a large margin..

If they just get that cold-fusion thing working, we'd be saved.

That is, until people begin to believe that the cold fusion facility was so dangerous that it could kersplode the planet.

Ban them!.

It's for the children!

Edited by tous
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Batesmotel said:

18” on the deck. 22”+ in the yard. 

My little dog is only is only about 17” tall. I had to shovel the deck, stairs and a part of the yard so they could go poop. 

Looking out the front I can’t even see that there is a road between me and my neighbors. But it’s just a good heavy storm for us. We really need the water. 

I hear that. I own a beagle puppy. It turns out beagle puppies ain't built for foot deep snow. It sure is fun to watch them try, but gotta get inside before too long.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, kerbie18 said:

I hear that. I own a beagle puppy. It turns out beagle puppies ain't built for foot deep snow. It sure is fun to watch them try, but gotta get inside before too long.

I’ve had 13 dogs. 3 beagles. 2 beagle mix. 3 poodles. 2 terriers. 1 cocker. 1 boxer. 1 golden- husky mix. 

The beagles are my favorite. They seem to hate the snow more than the others. And they are the hardest to train. 

I ordered some medicine on Monday, I usually receive it Tuesday, Wednesday at the latest. Fedex hasn’t picked it up yet. They are crying weather. Is this the first time it has snowed in the United States? Is this the first time it has gotten below zero in the United States? We have become a nation of excuses. 
i reject the race card, the bat soup croup card, the weather card. Shut the **** up and do you job card, how about that!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, railfancwb said:

Maybe...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thorium-based_nuclear_power 

According to some sources thorium was initially rejected as reactor fuel because its waste could not easily be refined into bomb material  

It’s a shame that France is leading the world in nuclear power. America should be developing 4th Gen reactors

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tous said:

i got more then enough room Tous, i don't have a Wood Stove any more but we can sit by the Heater and Grumble about the Feel good B.S. that caused such an Energy Rich place to be at the Mercy of Do Gooder nonsense.

Stay Warm Brother.

12 minutes ago, Paul53 said:

Texas quit the "National electric grid," except for El Paso County. Below is what Texas' electrical grid would look like to the space station on a flyover. (I labeled the pic "Estupido gringos on facebook and was promptly labeled "Hate speech")

texas.jpg

Paying paying paying... Seems the Enron lessons have been forgotten.

https://news.yahoo.com/5-152-power-bill-texas-192316981.html?.tsrc=daily_mail&uh_test=2_15

• Like 1