The snowpocalypse/snowmagedon

Sparks

9 hours ago, Walt Longmire said:

You get no sympathy from me. Welcome to my world for 6 months of the year. Went out ice fishing again today. Yesterday too. And the day before that. Oh, and the day before that too. Riding the Polaris Dragon. It's a rough life.

Walt has forgotten about more chainsaws than my local Home Depot has ever seen. :anim_rofl2:

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

I'm all for nukes, philosophically. I understand that statistically it just makes sense. However, between the suits & beancounters trying to squeeze out that last half-percent of profit and the politicians trying to micromanage and diversify the workforce (All Hail Diversity!), we'd wind up with a Fukushima in every backyard rather than a Mr. Fusion in every garage.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

Paying paying paying... Seems the Enron lessons have been forgotten.

https://news.yahoo.com/5-152-power-bill-texas-192316981.html?.tsrc=daily_mail&uh_test=2_15

I've worked at power plants during winter hell-freezes and summer incineration,  where the customer paid dozens of us to sit around the hotels for weeks,  with 100%+ compensation, plus overtime, because they were making so much money by running at maximum+ output,  and they wouldn't vary their output,  all up and down, to accommodate our testing.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, tous said:

I survived.  I could read while there was daylight, but at night I was pretty much left with  nothing but my mind to entertain me.

We were, again,  cooking breakfast on the front porch (camping equipment) after two weeks without power,  after a hurricane.

Suddenly,  the electricity came on.  My young daughter said, "Awww!",  and ran around the house shutting all the appliances off, and came back out to help with the cooking.

She really enjoyed the candle, frying pan, reading, board-games existence

• Like 4

Living rent free in another forums head. Clipart Illustration of a Man Wearing Shades And Drinking A Cocktail While Lounging I woke up to 8+ inches Monday AM. Drifts over a foot. Never seen this in Texas. -1 Tuesday AM. Sustained for over a week sub freezing temps. All new territory for us.

Power was spotty, but has been reliable for the past two days, water is the concern now but still running. Service is compromised. Pipes were a concern, we don't bury them very deep around here. The snow was very welcome in that regard. Inconvenient, but not a lot more than that. We fared well though.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Walt Longmire said:

This cold snap shows how stupid it is to have water pipes in the attic where they are unprotected from the cold. Also shows those who didn't have enough sense to turn the water off before those pipes froze and flooded the place. Live and learn.

It has been the craze for a while and PEX salesmen gloat over how it can freeze and not burst. Better than the other stuff they run like that. Well the problem is it freezing. Don't get me started, I've really miffed some "Enlightened" people over that stuff over the past several years.

They like it because it is cheap, can be run by a drunken monkey, and no need to read a tape or any trade requirements.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LostinTexas said:

Living rent free in another forums head. Clipart Illustration of a Man Wearing Shades And Drinking A Cocktail While Lounging I woke up to 8+ inches Monday AM. Drifts over a foot. Never seen this in Texas. -1 Tuesday AM. Sustained for over a week sub freezing temps. All new territory for us.

Power was spotty, but has been reliable for the past two days, water is the concern now but still running. Service is compromised. Pipes were a concern, we don't bury them very deep around here. The snow was very welcome in that regard. Inconvenient, but not a lot more than that. We fared well though.

Pipes are buried below frost depths in Minnesota.  Approximately 60 inches deep.

• Like 1

28°. Snow banks piled 5 feet high in the parking lot. I’ve been out in it working or running errands all day in just jeans and a polo shirt. 

We call this “Thursday”. It’s just about what you’re used to and prepared for. Including building codes. 

But we put Greatest Snow On Earth on our license plates. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Sparks said:

P.s.    I survived the blizzard of 1978!

There were several years in a stretch, where you couldn't find the mailbox.

One storm drifted wet snow against the front of the house at 45°, up to the roof.  Had to use the back door.

We had a great time building tunnels  that we could ride sleds through.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, janice6 said:

Pipes are buried below frost depths in Minnesota.  Approximately 60 inches deep.

Yea, about a foot is where ours land depending on the water main depth, but that is average. Our frost line is normally only a few inches and that is an unusually "cold" winter. It will be good at that depth for the next few, or ten, decades as the averages go. Under the meter cover and cut off access is concerning since it is air covering it other than a plastic lid.

The main on our street is about 18 inches, maybe, down. I know that because they dug it up when building the house. It veered out of the easement a bit. Quite entertaining watching a 2 inch main with 90 PSI water pressure get hit with a back hoe. There were some very red faced electric linemen. They were burying the power service under the driveway, or where the drive was going to be, to the meter. Thankfully the other two residents on the particular line were more entertained than we were.

Edited by LostinTexas
  • Like 1

Seeing people lined up to get propane tanks filled had me shaking my head. Do you only have one tank? And why is it empty? A Coleman lantern puts out a lot of heat and can be run on unleaded gas. Kerosene lanterns put out heat and light and can be run on diesel. You can flush the toilet by dumping water in it. Take a leak outside. Dig a latrine for the turds. I swear people are stoopid. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Walt Longmire said:

Seeing people lined up to get propane tanks filled had me shaking my head. Do you only have one tank? And why is it empty? A Coleman lantern puts out a lot of heat and can be run on unleaded gas. Kerosene lanterns put out heat and light and can be run on diesel. You can flush the toilet by dumping water in it. Take a leak outside. Dig a latrine for the turds. I swear people are stoopid. 

It reminds me of everyone panicking at the grocery store......  6 hours before the hurricane hits.

This Texas mayor had to resign after posting this:

rant.jpg.c521ddea6f1f29e0c079f7dcf86a0029.jpg

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Huaco Kid said:

It reminds me of everyone panicking at the grocery store......  6 hours before the hurricane hits.

This Texas mayor had to resign after posting this:

rant.jpg.c521ddea6f1f29e0c079f7dcf86a0029.jpg

A bit harsh, but someone said what a lot of others think. Making a week or so without services is inconvenient as all get out, but most folks can't even dream of life without and making a grocery run and watching Oprah every day.

Edited by LostinTexas
  • Like 1

Yesterday, I managed to get the 4WD truck stuck in the snow on flat ground.  Took 2 of us 3 hours to dig it out.  This is what happens when you get lazy and don't want to walk 75 yards from the vehicle to the house with the groceries three times to get them all to the house.  I've NEVER managed to get that truck stuck anywhere in 213,000 miles.  Til yesterday.  

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1