What is a good first car?

kerbie18

older  Toyota camry ,  got one for my oldest way back , reliable ,cheap ,  then she handed it down to her sister , then I kept it around awhile ,   when I sold it ,there was 475,000 miles on it , and only thing I ever did to it was usual stuff  , but I did have to replace wheel bearings .  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Others here can give you better advice on a car than I.

When my daughters began driving, I shared my experience with them. Don't hurry. Once you buy a car you'll never have extra money in your pocket. Both daughters later admitted I was right on this. I wish you better luck.

• Thanks 1

Used Kia or Hyundai car.  Heck, even something a little taller like a Santa Fe is decent.  The Korean brands really stepped up the the plate about 15-20 years ago, and they seem to last pretty well without many major issues.

Either that or get her an old Jeep Cherokee, a tool kit, and a repair manual

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

find a reasonable price range and safety rating, a car that meets the needs and go from there.

Toyota Corolla has been said and cant really go wrong with them,not enough power to get into trouble but enough to move along and efficiently.

the Maintenance is simple enough to teach her how to do it herself, and we all should know how to do the basic stuff.

find one cheap enough to not worry about dents and foolish novice driver errors so your not upset, but not so cheap your fixing someone else s heap.

and good luck because this is harder then picking a car for yourself.

• Like 2

I got no advice. I asked my dad what car he was gonna buy when i graduated high school he said i dont know how much can you afford to spend from your job? I said i aint working yet he said well better get on it then. I was like you aint gonna buy me a car he said nope my dad never bought me one so get a job like i did. I busted my ass working to buy my first used chevy truck. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, GT4494 said:

1968 Mustang coupe.

I had a couple 68's.  I also had '66's, and 67's.  I preferred the 66's then the 67. 

I changed cars so often the insurance company told me they cancelled my policy and were starting a new one so they could get current.

I liked Mustangs.  

• Like 2

Friend at work had a Sunbeam Tiger.  His stories of trying to drive in Minnesota Winter were a hoot. 

Daughter had a Mustang that was the fastest production car of that year.  Damn T roof leaked like hell from the day she bought it till she got rid of it.

Edited by janice6
  • Like 1

My youngest three will get cars based on grades.

In his first year of HS my son pulled a 4.11 GPA (12 As and 2 Bs). If he does that this year he’ll be choosing between a Mustang and a Challenger.

My daughter, in 8th grade, has never made less than an A. She is sounding like she’ll end up with an Accord or a Maxima. 

If I were picking the cars they would all end up in something big that had a zillion airbags and weighed at least 4,000 pounds.

All of them will have cars equipped with a monitor that reports how they’re driving and where they are going.

Don’t overlook Scion vehicles. The 2nd Gen XB is a Camry drivetrain, Corolla “frame” with a ton of space, good visibility, and super-easy to work on. Plus, just enough “Different” that they stand out in a crowd. 

I can also testify to their crashworthiness as the Wife walked away from a wreck that likely would have killed her in a small sedan. (Ford Excursion hit her in the rear at 60+ mph while she was stopped for a red light.)

• Like 1

I did own a VW Jetta TDI about 2001 vintage.  Got T-Boned  on divers side and totaled.  I was walking around (got out on passenger side), when the officer showed up they looked  at the car and asked me where the driver was.  I said it was me and they wanted to call an ambulance.   

Long story short I was hit in drivers door post by a caravan going 45-50mph (ran red light) , drivers side airbags went off. Bent the floor so bad I couldn't get the rear mat out and  I broke the ign key with my leg from the force.  I still crawled out found my glasses on the passenger side floor.    It is a VERY safe car!!

Edited by GT4494