What Shotgun Brand Do You Trust For A Riot Gun?

Biff

Right now the only brand that I trust is Mossberg, and I prefer riot guns for defense over just about anything else. Buckshot and slugs make me happy, and not birdshot.

Here is a video of a cheap Turkish gun being tested, but I do not trust them. He notes that a roll pin came loose and locked up a Black Aces shotgun, after 400+ rounds. I don’t need to belabor that point too much, since it speaks for itself. That could be fatal if someone is shooting back.

• Like 2

On 12/23/2021 at 3:10 PM, jfost11 said:

The 590 retrograde is scratching me where I itch. 

Go for it. The only thing that can fix an 18 inch 590 is cutting four inches off the barrel.

That shotty is hell on wheels.

Buy the gun and send your barrel to Vang Comp Systems in Arizona and...don't look back.   

When i built my seriously social shotgun i sent the barrel there.  They made it a holly terror.

There is a reason why the DEA used to send barrels there.

• Like 7

I received a NIB 870 Police Mag for Xmas back in 2000 and it’s been my go-to HD shotgun ever since. Built like a bank vault, so an older 870 is GTG. Not sure is put my faith in anything Remington mfg’d after 2006-07?

Also have a Maverick 88, Mossberg’s budget shotgun mfg’d in TX and for the money it’s a great shotgun. Used to have a Benelli M2 Tac which was a fine gun, just preferred my old 870 so I sold it. 

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, Valmet said:

I received a NIB 870 Police Mag for Xmas back in 2000 and it’s been my go-to HD shotgun ever since. Built like a bank vault, so an older 870 is GTG. Not sure is put my faith in anything Remington mfg’d after 2006-07?

Also have a Maverick 88, Mossberg’s budget shotgun mfg’d in TX and for the money it’s a great shotgun. Used to have a Benelli M2 Tac which was a fine gun, just preferred my old 870 so I sold it. 

Hell I carried a Maverick as a patrol weapon for a while.

• Like 5

Mossberg 500 without a doubt.

i have had it since i was 16 it has gone from every variation of scatter gun and stayed long after the M1897s and Benellis and Franchi have gone.

we go way back and know each other well, it carries the Factory wood stock and Stream light Racker 18 1/2" Cyl. bore and has always been reliable.

if there's a bump in the Night, my handgun gets me to that Shotgun.

• Like 2

I've carried the same old remington 870 in my patrol car for 19 years. I had to buy it myself. Still works like a charm. It's funny that you call it a riot gun, since I have literally carried it into riots more than once. 

We also use a bean bag version of the remington 870. It is exactly the same gun, just loaded with bean bag rounds and bright orange stocks and fore ends. This is hopefully to avoid confusion.

I'm sure there are superior shotguns on the market, but I'll stick with my old trusty gun.

• Like 1

Just now, kerbie18 said:

I'm sure there are superior shotguns on the market, but I'll stick with my old trusty gun.

Kerbie, we both know there are many great shotguns like the Benelli Super 90.

But the 870 and 500 are pretty much fool proof and can be worked on easy.   They may not be a $5,000 bird gun...but you and i bought our shotty's for work.

And they just plain do the job very well

My Mossy might be the last gun i ever give up   It does everything.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

I’ve got an older 870 and 1100 that run great.  But an 1100 is my favorite.  I’d like to have one in 20 gauge but they have increased in price like Colt Pythons. 

in my younger days a Benelli M1 Super 90 was my go to problem solver but recoil with full power ammo was rough if you shot it much.  

• Like 1

• Administrators
8 minutes ago, 21 shooter said:

I’ve got an older 870 and 1100 that run great.  But an 1100 is my favorite.  I’d like to have one in 20 gauge but they have increased in price like Colt Pythons. 

in my younger days a Benelli M1 Super 90 was my go to problem solver but recoil with full power ammo was rough if you shot it much.  

If you use a 12-gauge for self-defense, you probably wouldn’t need to shoot it much.  :supergrin:

• Like 5