What Shotgun Brand Do You Trust For A Riot Gun?

Biff

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/18/2022 at 6:54 PM, Batesmotel said:

I still want a 10 gauge side by side that will handle modern rounds. That doesn’t cost as much as a Ferrari. 

A lot of 3 1/2 inch 10 Guage magnums were imported in the 70's from Spain. There were several gunmakers in Eibar Spain that made them and I bought one in 1970 and no longer recall who made it. Stoeger imported one called the Zephyr,  AYA made one called the Matador, and another company was Zabala and I think that's what mine might have been. They were well made and only sold for $150-200 bucks in the early seventies. They were very nice but bigger and heavier than a 12 guage and usually had long, heavy, 32 inch full choke barrels.  They were made for magnum ammo but not for steel shot.

They can be found today for $7-800 on gunbroker, gunsamerica,  and similar auction sites if you are patient enough to wait around for one.

• Like 3

As far as actual "Riot Guns", I'm old school and like the early Remington 870's and I have a Winchester 1897 with a 20 inch barrel and really like that. I also like the Winchester model 12 and Winchester actually made some model 12's in riot gun configuration and they we also used by the military. Winchester model 12's were strong, reliable guns that rarely if ever wore out or needed repairs

But ideally, the perfect riot gun would be a reliable semi-auto like a Benelli M4 or a Mossberg 930, both with a 20 inch barrel and  an extended magazine and possible even with a folding stock.

Advantages of semiautos over pumps are numerous. they can be operated with one hand and have less recoil than a pump and I'm not sure about this, but I know pumps are not drop-safe but I would think that a semi-auto with a good safety should be able to be kept at the ready with a loaded chamber and the safety on.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, miketx said:

Winchester 1300. Extended mag, foregrip light, in the 40 watt range.

The Model 1300 Shotgun, the final Winchester shotgun from the fabled gun valley of Connecticut.

I have an 8 Shot Speed Pump Defender 1300, bought it new years ago.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
  • Administrators
On 2/18/2022 at 8:54 PM, Batesmotel said:

I still want a 10 gauge side by side that will handle modern rounds. That doesn’t cost as much as a Ferrari. 

There was a movie named Appaloosa, with Ed Harris and Viggo Mortensen. Mortensen carried an 8ga side-by-side shotgun and when that thing spoke, people listened.

AppaloosaSK8Gauge-8.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m not a huge fan of shotguns. ;)

I have three Winchester 1897s, an A5 Browning, four SKBs, an H&R Pardner a couple of Remington 870s and a Mossberg 930 SPX. When a guy made the mistake of breaking into my house a few years back I grabbed the Mossberg. It functioned flawlessly then sat in a police locker for just over a year.

16 hours ago, Walt Longmire said:

Mossberg 590. Same as the military uses. Speed Feed stock, rail, 20" heavy barrel, full magazine, holds 9 rounds plus 4 in the stock, dual slide levers. What's not to like.

Also, isn't the Maverick 88 assembled from the same parts as the Mossberg 500 series, except that it is Hecho en Mexico? I'd be fine with one of those.

https://www.mossberg.com/firearms/shotguns/maverick-88.html

I saw a video one time of a shooting instructor working through a course of fire with a single shot shotgun.  It was humbling, to say the least.  But apparently, with training, it can be enough.

On 2/14/2023 at 2:38 PM, Eric said:

Appaloosa, with Ed Harris and Viggo Mortensen. Mortensen carried an 8ga side-by-side shotgun and when that thing spoke, people listened.

Robert B. Parker's Virgil Cole and Everett Hitch.  In the novels, Everett always mentions that Virgil is the one that people pay attention to. These other guys should have noticed that 8 gauge.  It sort of defines the phrase, "I got your back."

https://www.bookseriesinorder.com/robert-b-parker/

• 2 weeks later...

I have asome very good things to say about Maverick 88. I prefer the location of the safety on it over the Mossberg 500 series. Plus it's won't break the bank. If one buys the combo (two barrels version) it's even better value - especially after selling the longer barrel.