Best part of Christmas?

gwalchmai

New Playstation 5 AND new XBox X Series. Getting those is VERY hard, they sell out within seconds and are only offered online a few times so far. You can flip them on eBay for twice the retail price but I won't let them go. Had to wait through a couple nights for SAM's Club and Target doing a drop in the online shops.

image.thumb.png.55e1e663d9f7a8004948a0cea710dd61.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Batesmotel said:

December 26th. 

Ah, yes, the 2nd Day of Christmas is a good day! Personally, I prefer the 7th Day of Christmas. Fireworks, friends, & family staying up to welcome a new year.

But my favorite part of Christmas is...

At some point in the 12 Days of Christmas, before my tree and lights come down on/after Epiphany, I will sit alone in the living room after dark with only the Christmas tree lit and listen to Handel's Messiah (or at least select choruses from it) and let all the busyness, distraction, & seasonal hoopla fade away while I reflect on the One Great Christmas Gift and the grace He brings.

Second to that is time with family, including an annual viewing of Elf and Charlie Brown Christmas (and sometimes a version of A Christmas Carol or It's a Wonderful Life or A Christmas Story, but always the first two).

Third would be singing all the Christmas hymns at a candlelight service culminating with Silent Night & Joy to the World.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Maccabeus said:

I will sit alone in the living room after dark with only the Christmas tree lit and listen to Handel's Messiah (or at least select choruses from it) and let all the busyness, distraction, & seasonal hoopla fade away while I reflect on the One Great Christmas Gift and the grace He brings.

This is yet best part.

I have a hard time with Christmas. First, I hate the commercialization.

Second, my mother could not stand to see anyone happy. She used Christmas to torture my sister and I. Birthdays were another of her favorite targets. I now realize she had some serious mental issues but what she did was beyond cruel. But it left scars that still hurt. My sister is the same way. 

The best thing my wife and I ever did was to start Christmas shopping with the after Christmas sales. We were always done with everything for the kids well before the Christmas season started so we avoided all the commercial crap and focused on the true meaning of the season. It made the season much more special for the kids. Now that they are adults they have thanked us for doing it that way. 

To me Easter is a more important day. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Batesmotel said:

This is yet best part.

Second, my mother could not stand to see anyone happy. She used Christmas to torture my sister and I. Birthdays were another of her favorite targets. I now realize she had some serious mental issues but what she did was beyond cruel. But it left scars that still hurt. My sister is the same way. 

The best thing my wife and I ever did was to start Christmas shopping with the after Christmas sales. We were always done with everything for the kids well before the Christmas season started so we avoided all the commercial crap and focused on the true meaning of the season. It made the season much more special for the kids. Now that they are adults they have thanked us for doing it that way. 

Sorry for the childhood Christmas garbage you experienced.  Obviously, adults with emotional or mental issues don't always recognize what they're doing, but it's still a raw deal for any kids to have to suffer under the adult's baggage.  I'm glad you and your family have found ways to redeem the day and enjoy the season.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

19 hours ago, misterfox said:

Appreciating that after 20+ years, my wife still loves me.

What is wrong with her?

Yesterday I asked the wife of very many years, why she married me.  I keeping with "truth in marriage", she said "for my money!"  I laughed at her, a lot!

The jokes on her!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Batesmotel said:

This is yet best part.

Sounds like you need to look in a mirror and make the choice to lose the baggage. I understand to an extent, I went years feeling guilty for being happy. Different baggage, same train. It sucks.

Something I ran across one day in a class, and it was important enough to take a picture, and revisit on occasion. It had nothing to do with the class I was attending that day, I was early and it was left on the board. I took it as something I needed to see.

Merry Christmas.

You can Change The Ending.jpg

Edited by LostinTexas
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, ASH said:

rofl , Piper made cookies for santa and reindeer ,  

you got a carrot with icing with m and m's  

rrrrr.jpg.4bc07837fcb436d21b88b2e5e57a9848.jpg

That is awesome. Who could possibly resist such culinary achievement? I sure miss the little ones, especially this time of year.

Merry Christmas!

Edited by LostinTexas
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, janice6 said:

Yesterday I asked the wife of very many years, why she married me.  I keeping with "truth in marriage", she said "for my money!"  I laughed at her, a lot!

The jokes on her!

Asked my wife the same thing .  And, over the years, the answer has always been the same.  "You were tall enough".  ****** romantic as crap,  Right??

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, janice6 said:

I just got back from the liquor store!  The roads are almost impassible due to the white out snow storm.  The liquor store was packed.  

Priorities. Those government _________ who said liquor stores were essential were correct enough, but they overlooked and in fact shut down many many equally essential businesses... such as hair salons. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1