Old Pictures

Eric

On 3/27/2024 at 7:04 PM, Eric said:

434386599_10232962075740518_1355637116815737157_n.jpg

Around 1912, 1914?

What model automobile is in the foreground, the one with the unusual (for the time) front?

I have seen them before and knew the manufacturer, but it stuck on the tip of my brain.

At first I thought that the driver was a nun, but now I believe that that is a nurse's headgear.

• Like 2

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, tous said:

Around 1912, 1914?

What model automobile is in the foreground, the one with the unusual (for the time) front?

I have seen them before and knew the manufacturer, but it stuck on the tip of my brain.

At first I thought that the driver was a nun, but now I believe that that is a nurse's headgear.

The car on the left is a Renault, probably a 1914 or '15.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
6 minutes ago, tous said:

Thank you.

I knew that it was European.

That was about to drive me crazy, and it's not a long journey at all.

:599c64bfb50b0_wavey1:

I had a guy come into my dad's shop in Houston one day who was restoring an early twenties Renault. He was looking for someone to fabricate new pistons and bore the cylinders out. The problem with boring the cylinders was the fact that the cylinders were blind bores. There was no removable head. No machine shop around was capable of machining blind bores. I don't know what they guy ever did about that. It was a bizarre looking engine.

• Like 2

One of the things that I like best about the turn-of-the-century automobile, motorcycle and aircraft companies that was few of them were well-funded and staffed with expert engineers to start.

The guys that invented the cars, planes, and motorcycles were tinkerers, guys with maybe a high school education that just loved to play around in their garages with machines and made that into industries.

Here's to you, lads.  :cheers:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, pipedreams said:

German bricklayer, circa 1928.

995500858_Screenshot2024-03-28at17-22-09Tekgirl(@tekgirl)Gab_com.png.298e9dbfa48b91a4d94dbac996922436.png

The guy that carried the supplies to the brick layers was the "Hod Carrier".  'Cause the carrier was called the "Hod".

• Like 4

1 hour ago, tous said:

One of the things that I like best about the turn-of-the-century automobile, motorcycle and aircraft companies that was few of them were well-funded and staffed with expert engineers to start.

The guys that invented the cars, planes, and motorcycles were tinkerers, guys with maybe a high school education that just loved to play around in their garages with machines and made that into industries.

Here's to you, lads.  :cheers:

In that context, a fellow worker asked me what i did?  I said I remembered what he forgot.

• Like 2

On 3/25/2024 at 8:26 AM, pipedreams said:

Portland, Oregon, 1939...

Woodpiles along the street are a characteristic of Portland, Oregon. Costs five dollars and fifty cents per cord,

and must be hauled thirty-five miles. (Shows homeowner on porch.) Portland, Oregon...

image.jpeg.4845f5f76479efa14f3e8ff04cb5fb0a.jpeg

Nice stacks!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, janice6 said:

The guy that carried the supplies to the brick layers was the "Hod Carrier".  'Cause the carrier was called the "Hod".

I had a professor named Hodler whom everyone called "the Hod", because he said he carried the Bricks of Knowledge that build the Wall of Science. :greensupergrin:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
1 minute ago, tous said:

You gotta love a store where you can get furniture, hardware and shoes all in the same place.

:biggrin:

Yeah, I got a chuckle out of that.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, tous said:

You gotta love a store where you can get furniture, hardware and shoes all in the same place.

:biggrin:

The old general store in the town I grew up in was like that.  After all, it was the General Store.

• Like 6

Heading north into town, you would turn left on StLouis St and the Western Auto was the first store on the left. The old General Store was on the right at the end of the same block.

There was nothing that you could not get in that little town!

• Like 5

• Administrators

The caption where I found this pic said that it is the oldest known surviving picture of a woman, taken in 1839. 

IMG_0817.jpeg

• Like 4

I was occasionally brick hod or hoddy as a kid. Hard work but I’m glad the family taught me to work.

The masons were mean. They would yell BRICK! or MUD!  Then I will turn from the mortar mixer to see who needed mud. If I couldn’t hear them over the mixer they would pick up a bit of mortar on the tip of a trowel and flick it as my back to get my attention.

To have fun with me they would flick the mud as they yelled MUD!  I would turn as the mud hit me in the face.

Overall a good experience. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1