Old Pictures

Eric

On 4/12/2024 at 5:30 PM, pipedreams said:

Understand they would stand around like that and when a drunk came out they would talk them into signing on the dotted line and they woke up in uniform.

Royal Navy press gangs were even worse. They would just chase drunks out of the jails and onto the docks. Then force them onto a ship. Once on the ship, you were just in the navy. But the nave did provide a daily ration of rum. 

• Like 3

On 4/15/2024 at 6:09 AM, pipedreams said:

USA  Le pont mobile de Chicago, Merchandise Mart (1951)

image.jpeg.8a702c09317593a02bcde527e90c6cd1.jpeg

It's steep, but with enough horsepower and a few modifications a guy could still get across.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, railfancwb said:

Problem would be the transition from street to bridge. 

It's nothing more than an instantaneous rotation of a large mass about a single point in space.  Easy, Huh....:abovelol:

• Like 2

UPDATE: I WAS FOOLED !

Okay, for some reason when I searched for the Pickering Brook Heritage website the other day, I didn't see this link.

https://pickeringbrookheritagegroup.com.au/sawmills/steam-powered-whim-model/

Many more pictures and it turns out that the bottom picture is a model built by a man, Loek Proper, who wrote in to the PBH website who has built replicas of other lumber hauling machinery. If you search "van De Puffende Schoorsteen" - (The Puffing Chimney) or Loek Proper - you will pull up many of his videos of old logging equipment and YouTube videos.

Australian Steam Powered Whim. Only 4 ever made.
The steam Whim was designed to collect and deliver trees into a sawmill. It is believed they could lift 19 tons of timber.
The crew of a steam whim consisted of a driver, a fireman to operate the whim, and a faller and swamper on the ground to prepare and attach the logs for carrying.

Is this where the saying “I did it on a whim” came from? (Joking)

The last restored one was originally found on the Pickering Brook Heritage website which I could not find.

Australian Steam Powered Whim - 1.jpg

Australian Steam Powered Whim - 2.jpg

Australian Steam Powered Whim - 3.jpg

Australian Steam Powered Whim - 4.jpg

• Like 4

On 4/19/2024 at 7:44 AM, Schmidt Meister said:

Australian Steam Powered Whim. Only 4 ever made.
The steam Whim was designed to collect and deliver trees into a sawmill. It is believed they could lift 19 tons of timber.
The crew of a steam whim consisted of a driver, a fireman to operate the whim, and a faller and swamper on the ground to prepare and attach the logs for carrying.

Is this where the saying “I did it on a whim” came from? (Joking)

The last restored one was originally found on the Pickering Brook Heritage website which I could not find.

Australian Steam Powered Whim - 1.jpg

Australian Steam Powered Whim - 2.jpg

Australian Steam Powered Whim - 3.jpg

Australian Steam Powered Whim - 4.jpg

A successor?

IMG_7722.jpeg

IMG_4640.jpeg

IMG_3996.jpeg

IMG_3993.jpeg

IMG_4042.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

A successor?

IMG_7722.jpeg

IMG_4640.jpeg

IMG_3996.jpeg

IMG_3993.jpeg

IMG_4042.jpeg

Please see my update on my original post for multiple corrections.

I don't see that either of these machines would have had a very long life span because at that time advances were being made at a rapid pace, but they were impressive machines that made life incredibly less labor intensive.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

On 4/21/2024 at 3:50 AM, Schmidt Meister said:

Please see my update on my original post for multiple corrections.

I don't see that either of these machines would have had a very long life span because at that time advances were being made at a rapid pace, but they were impressive machines that made life incredibly less labor intensive.

Thanks.

The black & white photo I posted was something I found on the web, as was the high riding pickup photo. 

The two orange (yellow?) photos I took at Southern Forest Heritage Museum in September 2015.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, DAKA said:

Gone...

I remember as a kid, sitting in the Railroad station in downtown Minneapolis for the Zephyr to take my family to Chicago to visit relatives in New Lenox.  My father believed we deserved it as an "experience".  I still remember sitting by the window flying down the track over what looked like frozen swamp full of water.

We flew straight to the water, you couldn't see the left turn of the track and at the last moment we turned instead of going into the water.  It was hair raising at time.  A wonderful experience over all.

A few years ago I took my wife on a Zephyr dinner ride by a restoration group.  She had a wonderful time, it was her first time on a train.  Anniversary event.

My wife's family was poor and she had little to no experiences for memories.  She had never been out of her hometown till I dated her and when I heard this, I took her for an evening ride to our state's capitol city and drove around so she could see everything.

When I traveled for work, I took her along as much as I could afford.  She saw much of the United States and even had dinner on top of a 5,000 foot mountain in a little restaurant.

I tried to give her the memories my dad had given us.  She was like a little kid experiencing the carnival when I was in meetings in Seattle and she went to the space needle by herself. later we toured Pike's Market.  I tried to make up for all she had missed while growing up.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2