Old Pictures

Eric

1 hour ago, Batesmotel said:

I was occasionally brick hod or hoddy as a kid. Hard work but I’m glad the family taught me to work.

The masons were mean. They would yell BRICK! or MUD!  Then I will turn from the mortar mixer to see who needed mud. If I couldn’t hear them over the mixer they would pick up a bit of mortar on the tip of a trowel and flick it as my back to get my attention.

To have fun with me they would flick the mud as they yelled MUD!  I would turn as the mud hit me in the face.

Overall a good experience. 

I agree, hard work is good experience.  My first job was in a Paper mill.  My friend and I cut wet pulp off the roller folded it, went down a short ladder and placed in on a Pallet.  Ran back up the ladder to catch the nest pulp mat coming off the roller.  We got one break of 15 minutes for lunch, no more for the 8 hours.  I worked my ass off, I was young and could do it.  I got paid a lot compared to other workers since it was a killing job.

I learned that if you did a job well, that required your skill, you got good pay.  I believed that for my whole life.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, pipedreams said:

Ethel Rhodes, born Oct 22, 1896, Victoria BC, Canada. Married John Thomas Dovey, died 1981.

Photo retouched and colorized by Tekgirl.

8e84879b9bae1e4c.jpg.bd3ea5ea5a17f2cd9bcb7e832b5d6614.jpge3cae5036997b3e4.jpg.223f18a7a8b65f46725d5894f787bd39.jpg

I just called my wife into the room to see this photo. It could be our grand-daughter's photo. tom.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, deputy tom said:

I just called my wife into the room to see this photo. It could be our grand-daughter's photo. tom.

I have a picture of my mother in law on her wedding day, and she is one of the most beautiful women I have ever seen.  She was and has been a wonderful woman that I loved as much as my own mother, during my marriage.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, pipedreams said:

image.png.c74ceb924d3daaee3af96ed799740cb6.png

Caring for animals is an admirable trait, even if you do it for economical reasons.  Critters are important in our lives for innumerable reasons.

• Like 4

On 4/2/2024 at 2:16 PM, pipedreams said:

Back in a decade far away a kid with a toy gun could point it at a cop

and it was just goofing around, and nobody lost their ****.

image.jpeg.b13892500cdb9d4f093a94da85b1d264.jpeg

You think so?  Just look at the expression on the cop!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Schmidt Meister said:

Road Grader - Hialeah, FL - 1925

Road Grader - Hialeah, FL - 1925.jpg

When MEN were MEN and MACHINES were MACHINES,  now some of the equipment has Air Conditioning  !!

• Like 4