How would you tell someone you're from the future?

gwalchmai

Dress up in a hazmat suit and stand over them while they were sound asleep, and start randomly blast Van Halen into their skulls, using a Sony Walkman, while verbally explaining the situation.

Completely vanish and just let the explanation work itself into their subconscience.

Plausible.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

18 hours ago, Batesmotel said:

You couldn’t just tell people and have them believe you. You were probably need to show them something. And even then it would take time. 

When I de-moleculed a big boulder with my ray gun they would believe by jiminy. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Inyo Tim said:

When I de-moleculed a big boulder with my ray gun they would believe by jiminy. 

What if that's the boulder that falls on Bad Billy Pratt and saves our democracy? :(

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 3/12/2024 at 4:38 PM, gwalchmai said:

Say you were. How could you convince someone that you're from the future without introducing information that might change your past? 

AFF

But I am not from the future. Today is 3.14, not 4.20.    Put down the blunt and step away.   I have some Doritos right here for you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

More alternate universe than time travel…

I recall a short science fiction story sited in a North American city with subways - maybe Boston or NYC. A regular commuter always bought a newspaper at the stand by the entrance to read on his journey. One day he got a strange dime in his change. Laid it aside on his dresser, then sometime later absent mindedly picked it up with other change. Used it for next newspaper, then came home to the woman he had not chosen. Great times for awhile, then he noticed a dime strange there but common where he had been with the women he had chosen. Later used that dime by choice to go back to the woman he had chosen. Once again great times for awhile, but he was watching his change for another strange dime. So by watching his dimes he could alternate between two universes and two wives.

The story never mentioned the other husband. I resented that omission. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Eric said:

I would warn them that someone was going to take a shot at them tomorrow. Then, I would take a shot at them tomorrow.

Thats almost cheating, but I like it a lot!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Eric said:

I would warn them that someone was going to take a shot at them tomorrow. Then, I would take a shot at them tomorrow.

Bullet goes somewhere, kills a butterfly, and eventually changes your past. Or not, and then we're off down another rabbit hole. Time travel is like a room full of mousetraps and ping-pong balls. :supergrin: 

• Like 1

Rabbit hole - 

Could you change the past if you went back? Or is it immutable? Like when Jimmy tried to prevent Lincoln's assassination only to fall asleep outside the stage door at Ford's and miss the whole thing. Or does every possible random event have its own timeline that doesn't "exist" unless it occurs? Or both and neither? 

• Like 1

A recurring theme in science fiction is that parallel universes exist. Supposedly a person “in the know” can travel back and forth. This was the theme in the short story I mentioned earlier.

In reality, if alternate universes exist they probably spread like the tines of a leaf rake - nothing parallel there. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, gwalchmai said:

Rabbit hole - 

Could you change the past if you went back? Or is it immutable? Like when Jimmy tried to prevent Lincoln's assassination only to fall asleep outside the stage door at Ford's and miss the whole thing. Or does every possible random event have its own timeline that doesn't "exist" unless it occurs? Or both and neither? 

Yes. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, gwalchmai said:

Rabbit hole - 

No.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Administrators
7 minutes ago, gwalchmai said:

Bullet goes somewhere, kills a butterfly, and eventually changes your past. Or not, and then we're off down another rabbit hole. Time travel is like a room full of mousetraps and ping-pong balls. :supergrin: 

Or that bullet was meant to be fired and me not firing it would change the timeline. Or, no matter what one does, they simply cannot alter time's flow. It is happening, it has already happened, it will happen, all simultaneously. It could be that the appearance of a linear flow of time is simply an artifact of our limited perception.

• Like 3