How would you tell someone you're from the future?

gwalchmai

26 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

A recurring theme in science fiction is that parallel universes exist. Supposedly a person “in the know” can travel back and forth. This was the theme in the short story I mentioned earlier.

In reality, if alternate universes exist they probably spread like the tines of a leaf rake - nothing parallel there. 

However, if the altrenate univreses were truly parallel, would they not then be identical?  

That would make for some truly boring Si Fi.

• Like 2

• Administrators

I also really enjoyed Micheal Crichton's Timeline. I never saw the movie, but I heard bad things about it. I thought the book was very interesting though. I enjoyed the way Crichton told a story.

MichaelCrighton_Timeline.jpg

• Like 4

Does the theory of alternate universes violate the principle of conservation of matter and energy? Or is the principle consistent within each universe? If it's consistent how do you move between them? 

Do objects have color in the dark?

• Like 1

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, gwalchmai said:

Does the theory of alternate universes violate the principle of conservation of matter and energy? Or is the principle consistent within each universe? If it's consistent how do you move between them? 

Crichton explained a version of the experiment in the link below to prove the multiverse theory, in the book Timeline. 

https://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=966.0

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, gwalchmai said:

Issac Asimov answered that question in The Gods Themselves.

:biggrin:

:599c64bfb50b0_wavey1:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gwalchmai said:

Bullet goes somewhere, kills a butterfly, and eventually changes your past. Or not, and then we're off down another rabbit hole. Time travel is like a room full of mousetraps and ping-pong balls. :supergrin: 

Watch The Family Guy episode where Stewie goes back in time.  All your questions will be answered.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

19 hours ago, Eric said:

Robert Heinlein's Number of the Beast had the most unique take on sci-fi time travel that I have read.  Anyone read it?

Notb80.jpg

Yes. Good read. Apparently he wrote an alternate second half which hid in his archives until recently. It was published as…

IMG_5524.jpeg

• Like 2

• Administrators
6 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

Yes. Good read. Apparently he wrote an alternate second half which hid in his archives until recently. It was published as…

IMG_5524.jpeg

I'll have to check that out. Thanks for the heads-up.

• Like 1

I think you'd have to introduce dangerous twonky knowledge in order to make stuff like "Nanoo Nanoo" work. "There's gonna be a TV show where the main character says that" is WAY too much contamination to the timeline. Or not, depending on one's opinion of those infernal multiple universes...

• Like 1