Unwanted morning visitors…

Mrs.Cicero

Freaking Amazon delivery at 4:30AM this morning… set off the dogs, made me get out of bed (can’t claim I was asleep cause I wasn’t cause the heavy sleeper was snoring) anyway, it woke up everyone.  So I go stomping out on the porch gun in hand (I could see the van up at the driveway in front of the pole barn, but not the delivery guy walking toward my house because stupid skyrocket juniper has gotten fat from snow weighing down the branches).  I had to explain to him, as I have to explain to ALL the delivery drivers, that the reason their little computer thinks my house is the wrong address is because it still believes the old farmhouse (that was much closer to the road before we knocked it down) is still there, and they should just drop stuff on the table in front of the pole barn where their stupid computer will accept it as delivered.  

I tried not to be too irritated, but it’s damn stupid to be delivering to farms before sunrise.  There’s folks around here with LGDs out at night.  They might do rather more than just alarm back to wake everyone up.

he did apologize for that.  I blame Amazon for running deliveries in farm country in the dark.  I’m sure it’s a dipshit city person without a clue in charge of that schedule.

oh, and it’s NOT the first time.  The first time, the idiot driver drove all the way (50yds) across the lawn from the pole barn where the driveway stops, to my front door.  Nearly hit one of my maple trees.  Expletives deleted, insert appropriate insults here!

Edited by Mrs.Cicero
lack of sleep caused typo
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 4

Hell, I got a free archery target from Amazon so I aint saying anything negative about them.  Plus, they just deliver my **** and have no interaction with me.  Now when it comes to USPS services, **** those people!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Huaco Kid said:

I frequently get deliveries up to 10pm (as they usually show on the package-tracking page).

I don't think they ever come before afternoon, these days.

Same here. Never get morning deliveries. Amost always after dark.

5 hours ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

Freaking Amazon delivery at 4:30AM this morning… set off the dogs, made me get out of bed (can’t claim I was asleep cause I wasn’t cause the heavy sleeper was snoring) anyway, it woke up everyone.  So I go stomping out on the porch gun in hand (I could see the van up at the driveway in front of the pole barn, but not the delivery guy walking toward my house because stupid skyrocket juniper has gotten fat from snow weighing down the branches).  I had to explain to him, as I have to explain to ALL the delivery drivers, that the reason their little computer thinks my house is the wrong address is because it still believes the old farmhouse (that was much closer to the road before we knocked it down) is still there, and they should just drop stuff on the table in front of the pole barn where their stupid computer will accept it as delivered.  

I tried not to be too irritated, but it’s damn stupid to be delivering to farms before sunrise.  There’s folks around here with LGDs out at night.  They might do rather more than just alarm back to wake everyone up.

he did apologize for that.  I blame Amazon for running deliveries in farm country in the dark.  I’m sure it’s a dipshit city person without a clue in charge of that schedule.

oh, and it’s NOT the first time.  The first time, the idiot driver drove all the way (50yds) across the lawn from the pole barn where the driveway stops, to my front door.  Nearly hit one of my maple trees.  Expletives deleted, insert appropriate insults here!

We have similar confusion here, but in my case it is the post offices fault. Our house is on the corner of Sage Rd and Paintbrush Ln.   In 2011 the house burned to the ground. At that time our address was on Paintbrush. When we rebuilt, we rebuilt about 100 yards to the west. The post office then informed us that our address was on Sage road, but the county insists that we are still on Paintbrush and that the post office can't do that, but they did and will not back down., so now I have two addresses on my mailbox to confuse anyone trying to deliver to my house.

Most deliveries get dropped at my garage door, but some get dropped at my shop in the back and occasionally they just leave it by the power pole on Paintbrush.  It's like haveing an easter egg hunt for Amazon boxes.

• Sad 3

5 hours ago, Huaco Kid said:

I frequently get deliveries up to 10pm (as they usually show on the package-tracking page).

I don't think they ever come before afternoon, these days.

3 hours ago, Batesmotel said:

We get deliveries at 4:00 all the time. But usually office or work related when we order next day. 

This is NOT the first time I've gotten deliveries after 11PM, and before sunrise.  And it's annoying as hell!

• Like 3
  • Sad 4

Amazon deliveries are mostly UPS in your little slice of heaven. FedEx on rare occasion, or UPS dumps it on the post office. Amazon vans get close but we are beyond the line in the sand, so to speak.

Today was the rare occasion. Mail chick delivered a collapsible hand truck, about 5 pounds. FedEx delivered a queen matters in a box. No notification of the mattress. I'm glad mail chick didn't have to rodeo with that mattress it is a handful. I'd have made sure to be home if I had known it was coming, and would have had a dolly out to move it for them, either one of them.

Some deliveries are later evening, 6-7PM, but rare. Our UPS guy is good people.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Hauptmann6 said:

Big difference between livestock and crop farmers.

Maybe some areas, around here they all start early. Livestock guys pretty much have hired help working in shifts, they start early out of habit.

Crop guys also seem to do it out of habit. 

Diner here opens at 4am, someo of the coffee shops at 3am.

But they are all closed on Sundays, well, most of 'em, coffee shops are 7 days a week.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/5/2024 at 10:24 PM, Fog said:

If it was really farm country you would have been up and going at 0430hrs and offered him coffee.

It’s real farm country but my 48 acres of it is a tiny subsistence level homestead surrounded by beef cattle ops and corn/soybean fields run by real farmers, which I am not.  The beef guys don’t work in the dark here, and it’ll be a few months before the corn/bean guys are in the fields again at all hours.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

It’s real farm country but my 48 acres of it is a tiny subsistence level homestead surrounded by beef cattle ops and corn/soybean fields run by real farmers, which I am not.  The beef guys don’t work in the dark here, and it’ll be a few months before the corn/bean guys are in the fields again at all hours.

My company was looking at selling technology to "Farmers", think thousands of acres.  We devised a system that could allow farming well into the dark, even starting in the dark.

Then we talked to the farmers and found none that wanted to spend 12 to 16 hours farming.  We forgot that Farmers were people and people need their rest so they didn't burn out.......

Technology couldn't solve the "human" problem.

• Like 1

I live in real farm country an hour or two - depending on time of day - from a rapidly growing city. The local real farmers frequently carve their county road frontage into 1 acre lots for McMansions as soon as a county water line is installed along the road. FWIW an acre lot is a rectangle about 200 feet along the road and 220 feet deep.

• Like 1

Here in south Florida many farms are being/have been, bought up and turned into "Communities",  I guess if I were a farmer owning, a big piece of land, worked 7 days a week 365 days a year making a descent amount of money,

along comes a "Developer", offers a big pile of cash, I'd think about retiring and taking the money...

Builder, pays off commissioners for .. Rezoning the agricultural land into residential use....  Traffic, Water use, Sewage,etc ,  Commissioners and Builder  takes his money and moves on...all the mess,,,who cares... 

(I guess I was/am part of the problem....I moved here)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, railfancwb said:

I live in real farm country an hour or two - depending on time of day - from a rapidly growing city. The local real farmers frequently carve their county road frontage into 1 acre lots for McMansions as soon as a county water line is installed along the road. FWIW an acre lot is a rectangle about 200 feet along the road and 220 feet deep.

That's sort of what happens here - little lots at the edge of a road, or in some cases (like ours) a 200 acre farm was cut roughly in half, and then that was later cut roughly in half again, etc.  Our local ordinance that you cannot have large animals on less than 10 acres has helped keep the parcels above that size, although there are some one-five acre lots, usually an old farmhouse followed by some manufactured homes in a row.  Going down my road - north of me are two fields of several hundred acres of corn/soybeans, with a separate 10 acre lot with house at the road, then us on our weird L-shaped property (very little road frontage, but lots of river frontage at the back), followed by a 35 acre lot with house, followed by a 2 acre lot, another lot whose size I don't know, followed by a road intersection.  On the opposite side from us to the north is a field (size unknown), then a 30+ acre lot with house, a 1 acre lot with house, followed by a big pasture for beef cattle that runs to the road intersection.  Everything around here is weird like that.

• Like 1