"Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds."

Duluth

2 hours ago, pizzaaguy said:

LOL  Take that to the local postmaster...if it's genuine.

When I worked for a public television station, one of tge perks to donors/members was a monthly program guide. These were prepared and delivered to the post office so they would be received prior to the start of each month. We continually received complaints about late delivery in one community. In a meeting with the postmaster whose area included that community, it was revealed that nothing could be done until the delivery person on that one route retired. 

• Sad 2

the vehicles here all have snow chains as well.

Of course in vehicles with front wheel drive and open diffs, they don't help a whole lot when the mail van is driving uphill, gets too close to the curb, knocks off one of the chains, and can't move away from the curb far enough to reinstall it.  

But they were still trying, and finished the rest of their route that day after someone hooked up a rope and drug them onto pavement that didn't have lots of snow on it.

• Like 1

That motto was created by the Post Office when, exactly? Oh, 1914. Back when there were wealthy people, and everyone else was a plebe whose life was forfeit. 

So.....if that was your job, would you be interested in crashing and possibly getting injured or killed for $30K a year? If you answer yes, you're stupid.

I'd leave the same note. Clear the snow and ice properly, or pick your mail up at the office. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, M&P15T said:

That motto was created by the Post Office when, exactly? 

IIRC it was on some ancient statue Mr. Peabody & Sherman showed us once. Not official USPS guarantee, though. 

ETA: I looked it up. The official USPS Motto is I'm on my break...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, gwalchmai said:

IIRC it was on some ancient statue Mr. Peabody & Sherman showed us once. Not official USPS guarantee, though. 

The phrase's association with the U.S. Mail originated with its inscription on New York City's General Post Office Building, which opened in 1914.[4] The inscription was added to the building by William M. Kendall of the architectural firm of McKim, Mead & White, the building's architects. The phrase derives from a passage in George Herbert Palmer's translation of Herodotus' Histories, referring to the courier service of the ancient Persian Empire:

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, M&P15T said:

The phrase's association with the U.S. Mail originated with its inscription on New York City's General Post Office Building, which opened in 1914.[4] The inscription was added to the building by William M. Kendall of the architectural firm of McKim, Mead & White, the building's architects. The phrase derives from a passage in George Herbert Palmer's translation of Herodotus' Histories, referring to the courier service of the ancient Persian Empire:

Yeah, Herodotus. That's the one. ;)

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, M&P15T said:

That motto was created by the Post Office when, exactly? Oh, 1914. Back when there were wealthy people, and everyone else was a plebe whose life was forfeit. 

So.....if that was your job, would you be interested in crashing and possibly getting injured or killed for $30K a year? If you answer yes, you're stupid.

I'd leave the same note. Clear the snow and ice properly, or pick your mail up at the office. 

Where I come from, regardless of pay, if you take a job you're expected to do your job.  If you can't or won't, then find another job.

Ya gotta love the new mantra for the left.  Pay a living wage...for an entry level job like cashier or fry cook at McDonalds.  Demanding higher pay, then complain when the cost of everything goes up when they get it.  I'm sorry but if you're working at McDonalds and expect to feed a family of four on that salary, well I have a bridge to sell you.  Entry level jobs are for high school students or meant as stepping stones to gain experience for the next higher level job.  Just because the CEO of a company is a billionaire doesn't mean the stock boy should be making six figures.

/rant

• Like 3

If everyone's first job was like most of the jobs I've had in my life, they'd start out with some very important lessons. Or they'd wash out the first day. Maybe be killed. This country is currently populated mostly by a bunch of incapable whimps. Present company excluded of course. We (TBS) are the salt of the earth.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Pima Pants said:

Duluth (OP): Is your carrier a contracted employee? If so, I'm sure she's violating her contract with the Post Office.

She's a postal employee. I live in a condo. The association is responsible taking care of the snow. It was plowed out 8 hours after the snow storm. Yes, there is some ice on the roads, but she doesn't get out of the truck to deliver the mail. I've been here over 10 years. I've never had an issue with mail delivery until this.

• Like 3

At $.60/letter, who the heck is still sending mail, anyway?   I don't even send Christmas cards anymore.  The vast majority of my mail is adverts, coupons, and catalogs from companies that haven't yet figured out I'm not buying what they are selling, and a couple catalogs I do buy from (it's always nice to page through the seed catalogs, plus the one remaining fabric catalog that comes by mail).  And I mail one envelope a month (that ends this month) to the one local credit union that has no electronic bill payment for the loan on the ZTR that I'm paying off Feb 1, anyway.  Everything else is online.  I'm not fond of that, but I'm less fond of the ridiculous prices the PO is charging.  I found some $.24 stamps in my desk this week.  but I remember when it was $.03 to mail stuff... 

• Like 1

On 1/15/2023 at 9:43 AM, minderasr said:

Where I come from, regardless of pay, if you take a job you're expected to do your job.  If you can't or won't, then find another job.

Ya gotta love the new mantra for the left.  Pay a living wage...for an entry level job like cashier or fry cook at McDonalds.  Demanding higher pay, then complain when the cost of everything goes up when they get it.  I'm sorry but if you're working at McDonalds and expect to feed a family of four on that salary, well I have a bridge to sell you.  Entry level jobs are for high school students or meant as stepping stones to gain experience for the next higher level job.  Just because the CEO of a company is a billionaire doesn't mean the stock boy should be making six figures.

/rant

Where you come from doesn't matter. Never did, doesn't now. People aren't going to risk death or injury for their job, nor should they be expected to. Maybe this particular delivery person is being ridiculous, and it's not dangerous at all, but that's a different conversation.

Why you're blathering on about McDonalds and leftist isn't clear.

3 hours ago, M&P15T said:

Where you come from doesn't matter. Never did, doesn't now. People aren't going to risk death or injury for their job, nor should they be expected to. Maybe this particular delivery person is being ridiculous, and it's not dangerous at all, but that's a different conversation.

Why you're blathering on about McDonalds and leftist isn't clear.

You better be ready to risk life and limb for a logging job in the PNW or SE Alaska, or commercial fishing in Alaska. Or stay on the porch with the puppies.

• Like 1