"firearm handed to Alec Baldwin on Thursday was declared a 'cold gun,' meaning it was declared unloaded"

gwalchmai

7 hours ago, Batesmotel said:

On a movie set, an actor physically checking a gun is not allowed. The thinking is that a professional armorer has checked it and declared it safe. The production company doesn’t want an actor who might not understand weapons messing with it and possibly loading it or introducing an obstruction into the barrel that becomes a projectile when a blank is fired.  

I can't begin to describe how stupid I think that policy is.  Or how they manage to get insurance doing it that way.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

i`m Betting the Gun was a Shotgun.

seems more likely that a wad from a shot gun Blank would hit two people one enough to Kill her and other enough to put him in Critical Condition.

Either way i kinda feel for everyone involved, shitty way to Die and have all those Jobs Taken away.

one more reason for Firearm Facts and Safety to be Taught to Everyone again.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Ricordo said:

Found in another forum---- https://ascmag.com/blog/filmmakers-forum/filming-with-firearms

Apparently as a producer, Baldwin is a cheapskate too.

What a sorry excuse for a human being.

Oh, The "Fickled ******* finger of Fate'...:anim_lol:"The Dangling diggit of destiny":anim_lol:...BOTH...right up your ass baldwin.  **** you.:patriot:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, holyjohnson said:

i`m Betting the Gun was a Shotgun.

seems more likely that a wad from a shot gun Blank would hit two people one enough to Kill her and other enough to put him in Critical Condition.

Either way i kinda feel for everyone involved, shitty way to Die and have all those Jobs Taken away.

one more reason for Firearm Facts and Safety to be Taught to Everyone again.

It was a .45 Colt, single shot, Old school western revolver from the picture I saw...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm not an expert on movie sets, but have a friend who was an armor for the movies, handed out the prop guns.

It is totally different than we understand firearms handling. Actors are not allowed to check a firearm to see if it's loaded, EVER! My friend would pack up his props and leave the set if it happened even once. He said he was liable for what happened and not the actors so he was really careful. 

He would load the effects into the guns and then followed the gun around, it never left his sight. Usually there was an armorer for every single prop gun in a scene. I don't know if that is standard or if that was just the bigger budget stuff he worked on.

I've not talked to him about the incident in question. He had some really cool guns, but was at least a FUDD if not an outright anti. He basically made his living with guns as props, but thought he was the only one professional enough to keep everyone safe around guns. So we didn't really stay in touch the last few years.

As I said, I'm no expert, but in talking to him I was quite surprised at what a different world it was. I thought a little bit about how I'd reconcile my firearms training with the rules hollyweird lived by on film sets, and I don't know that I could. Maybe if I was there and watching as the armorer loaded the effects? I don't know, not likely a problem I'll ever face. He seemed to be sure he was legally liable for anything that happened with props on the set.

From my understanding nothing will come of it at all, except maybe the prop guy will be in trouble. Unless, and this is pure speculation, the way the prop was used was not consistent with the directions for the scene in question, then you might get criminal negligence on the actor.

They live by different rules folks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Stories today include:

A firearm "misfired" twice in a log cabin set while "only" being held in the hand of the handler---you know how that goes, "The Colt revolver fired all by itself";

Recreational shooting happened at the ranch---because it's not only a great idea, it couldn't be safer to mix-n-match blanks and live ammo.

I wonder what's next, Russian roulette? You know, like they show in the movies!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Ricordo said:

Stories today include:

A firearm "misfired" twice in a log cabin set while "only" being held in the hand of the handler---you know how that goes, "The Colt revolver fired all by itself";

Recreational shooting happened at the ranch---because it's not only a great idea, it couldn't be safer to mix-n-match blanks and live ammo.

I wonder what's next, Russian roulette? You know, like they show in the movies!

No, like in real life. Russians had one empty chamber. If it went click, you went over the top.

• Like 2