"firearm handed to Alec Baldwin on Thursday was declared a 'cold gun,' meaning it was declared unloaded"

gwalchmai

1 hour ago, Ricordo said:

Recreational shooting happened at the ranch---because it's not only a great idea, it couldn't be safer to mix-n-match blanks and live ammo.

That pistol did what pistols do.  The problem was in the thinking portion of "how do we do this safely?"

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Fog said:

I'm not an expert on movie sets, but have a friend who was an armor for the movies, handed out the prop guns.

It is totally different than we understand firearms handling. Actors are not allowed to check a firearm to see if it's loaded, EVER! My friend would pack up his props and leave the set if it happened even once. He said he was liable for what happened and not the actors so he was really careful. 

He would load the effects into the guns and then followed the gun around, it never left his sight. Usually there was an armorer for every single prop gun in a scene. I don't know if that is standard or if that was just the bigger budget stuff he worked on.

I've not talked to him about the incident in question. He had some really cool guns, but was at least a FUDD if not an outright anti. He basically made his living with guns as props, but thought he was the only one professional enough to keep everyone safe around guns. So we didn't really stay in touch the last few years.

As I said, I'm no expert, but in talking to him I was quite surprised at what a different world it was. I thought a little bit about how I'd reconcile my firearms training with the rules hollyweird lived by on film sets, and I don't know that I could. Maybe if I was there and watching as the armorer loaded the effects? I don't know, not likely a problem I'll ever face. He seemed to be sure he was legally liable for anything that happened with props on the set.

From my understanding nothing will come of it at all, except maybe the prop guy will be in trouble. Unless, and this is pure speculation, the way the prop was used was not consistent with the directions for the scene in question, then you might get criminal negligence on the actor.

They live by different rules folks.

This.

But don’t confuse this crowd with reality. The hate is too strong. 

• Thanks 2

We love the guy.

Who else could have won "Father of the Year" after that loving, caring phone call to his daughter?

Who else could have won both an Emmy and a Grammy for his wonderful rendition of "Memories" in Cats?

Who else could possibly be in contention for the Non-binary Producer of the Year in next year's Oscars?

maxresdefault.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Batesmotel said:

This.

But don’t confuse this crowd with reality. The hate is too strong. 

Reality is Baldwin negligently killed one of his coworkers and wounded another. "This crowd" holds him, and the "armorer", responsible by the same standards we apply to ourselves, regardless of whatever we may think of Baldwin personally. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

https://rumble.com/vo4rig-watch-this-is-who-was-in-charge-of-firearms-during-baldwin-shooting.html?mref=4pvd7&mrefc=2

image.png.dde2865465148c31ac8bdbbbd5c9c25b.png

image.png.ad0e1a64d8e3651684acf86c7e133a65.png

24 year old female, aspiring model Hannah Gutierrez-Reed was the so-called "Armorer" for this movie.  She had already been noted for dangerous,  sloppy gun handling on this, and a previous, movie set.

Young millennial females, raised on video games and Hollywood bullshit movies with imaginary female action heroes, love to play with guns and shoot TikTok videos with them.  But they rarely take the time and trouble to master them before considering themselves experts.

https://americanmilitarynews.com/2021/01/first-female-green-beret-facing-charge-for-accidentally-firing-gun-in-apartment/

The first, and so far only US Army female Green Beret has already had a publicized negligent discharge in her off-post quarters, with LE response.  Name:   Agnija Reke.   So much for the G.I. Jane myth.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Silentpoet said:

I think Baldwin is a big douchebag but I don’t think, based on what I’ve learned so far, he is criminally responsible. I can only hope this will perhaps humble him. But being a Hollywood type I doubt it.

Baldwin made a conscious decision to take the word of an obviously mentally deficient woman that the firearm was safe. Even if we ignore the "obviously mentally deficient" part, when we take someone else's word that the gun's safe WE assume full responsibility for the consequences. That's why most of us don't take someone else's word for it. I wouldn't take that "armorer's" word for it. I wouldn't take your word for it, nor the BGH's, nor any other person on this board or anywhere else. Because before I pull the trigger on that allegedly empty chamber I have one last opportunity to prevent the tragedy by checking it myself, and I am thus responsible. And, sorry, but I do not accept any of this "that's the way it's done in Hollywood" bullshit. That's just doublespeak for agreeing to let the rules slide for the popular crowd. Gun safety only works one way or people die. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

There was no reason for him to point the gun at the victim and pull the trigger, no matter if it was loaded or not. There was a long discussion today at the home I am in about movie sets and prop guns. One of the people involved in the discussion has worked on many movie sets where firearms were involved.  Protocol was ignored. Big. Time.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

40 minutes ago, Walt Longmire said:

There was no reason for him to point the gun at the victim and pull the trigger, no matter if it was loaded or not. There was a long discussion today at the home I am in about movie sets and prop guns. One of the people involved in the discussion has worked on many movie sets where firearms were involved.  Protocol was ignored. Big. Time.

There was something I read...where baldwin...joking about something that happened earlier..."I'm gonna shoot ya both"...That's why he pointed the "cold gun" at her...the producer was behind her...

• Sad 1

"Is it significant that this amoral, leftist, Trumpophobic gun grabber has personally executed more mass shootings than any Christian conservative Trump-loving NRA member? Not in any kind of intellectual sense – it’s just a thing that happened – but it makes a helluva meme." - well said, Kurt.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"Reports in the New York Post indicate that union representatives say the gun Baldwin fired contained a live round. But even if a staffer told Baldwin that the gun was unloaded, the first rule of gun safety ultimately makes the accident Baldwin’s responsibility. Baldwin was the one who pointed the gun at Hutchins and pulled the trigger.

Baldwin obviously never had the intent to kill Hutchins, but if you drive a car recklessly and kill someone, you are still liable for negligent manslaughter. The fact that you deeply regret the accident is completely irrelevant. If they had only observed the proper caution to begin with, the death would have been avoided." - John Lott, 10-25-21

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1