Name A Simple Food...

Eric

I would have to say heavily Buttered toast, nearly black, with Strawberry Jelly.  I often have 4 pieces for breakfast with the ever present Black coffee.  I'm not to imaginative or creative when it comes to food so I stick to simple favorites.

Edited by janice6
  • Like 3

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, janice6 said:

I would have to say heavily Buttered toast, nearly black, with Strawberry Jelly.  I often have 4 pieces for breakfast with the every present Black coffee.  I'm not to imaginative or creative when it comes to food so I stick to simple favorites.

I prefer grape jelly. We grew up putting peanut butter and sometimes jelly on our pancakes, under the syrup. Having PB&J + syrup pancakes is an interesting flavor and I liked it back then, but I’ve settled on just creamy peanut butter and syrup on my pancakes. I especially like Mrs Butterworth syrup. I was saddened to see that they gave her bottle a double mastectomy a while back. Old trademarks are falling like dominos. 

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Eric said:

I prefer grape jelly. We grew up putting peanut butter and sometimes jelly on our pancakes, under the syrup. Having PB&J + syrup pancakes is an interesting flavor and I liked it back then, but I’ve settled on just creamy peanut butter and syrup on my pancakes. I especially like Mrs Butterworth syrup. I was saddened to see that they gave her bottle a double mastectomy a while back. Old trademarks are falling like dominos. 

OH, I'm fussy about my Syrup.  I want the original Log Cabin.  It's made with Sugar and it's a thinner syrup, so it soaks into the cakes.  I use a lot of Syrup and my menu is based on a lot of Sugar for everything, so I like Pancakes Buttered when they are hot, then floating in Syrup, then I nuke them in the microwave till the Syrup bubbles.  Now the cakes are saturated.

My wife used to worry about my Sugar intake, but the doc says I higher than average, but not high enough to be cautioned.  I am careful to never tell him how much I consume.

• Like 1

• Administrators

I really love raisins as well. As a snack, not cooked into something. I really hate the texture of raisins cooked in things, but I’ll snack on raisins all day long. They taste good and they really help move the mail, if such GI encouragement is desired. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Administrators
Just now, Historian said:

My mother's kitchen smells like this...

I was just cleaning up earlier, after making my Bolognese sauce. I use Palmolive dish soap. Every time I open that container, I am taken back to my childhood, standing in my grandmother’s kitchen. That kitchen always smelled like Palmolive and percolated coffee. It always smelt clean and good and full of sunlight. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Scottish shortbread.  Recipe came from a children's cookbook we had back when I was a kid (and my mother still has)

2 cups flour, 1 cup butter (softened), 1/2 cup powdered sugar.  Some vanilla in it too if you want, but not necessary.

Mix ingredients, put into 8x8 or 9x9 pan, push it down to compact it

poke it a whole bunch of times with a fork to let the steam escape (very important, you really can't overdo it).

bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes, so it's browning on the edges, but mostly so it's dried out all the way through.  

Now it's also one of my son's favorite things as well.

Edited by Cougar_ml
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

a grilled cheese sandwich.  whether absolutely simple with Kraft slices, or fancy with sourdough and gouda, there's just something peaceful about that sammich to me.

a close second- bum bread. self-rising flour and water, pressed, and fried in a pan.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Eric said:

I was just cleaning up earlier, after making my Bolognese sauce. I use Palmolive dish soap. Every time I open that container, I am taken back to my childhood, standing in my grandmother’s kitchen. That kitchen always smelled like Palmolive and percolated coffee. It always smelt clean and good and full of sunlight. 

There are moments like that when a scent can bring you back.   Basil is that way for me.  English Leather after shave reminds me of dad.  

I also enjoy the smell of fresh dirt from the garden.

Edited by Historian
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Eric said:

...That really brings you joy? For me, it’s buttered toast. It doesn’t get much more basic than that, but I love it. How about you?

You and me bud!!!  I use to eat 4 pieces of Liberally Buttered cinnamon toast every night when I was a little younger.  Only thing I would add to that is BACON!!!!!!

• Like 2