Name A Simple Food...

Eric

25 minutes ago, Historian said:

You clearly know how to use your tools and what the conditions are that make great bread. 

Apparently, the art to bread is temperature, heat control and quality grains and yeast.

I would look forward to this tasty challenge!

If you haven't read Jim Leahey's book "No Knead," and like bread, it is worth a read.  I almost always have some of his type fermentation going on.  If you don't have, or don't want to pull out the stand mixer, this is the way.  Baking in a cast dutch oven gives the bread a good steam spring like a wood oven, and a great crust.

11 minutes ago, Al Czervik said:

If you haven't read Jim Leahey's book "No Knead," and like bread, it is worth a read.  I almost always have some of his type fermentation going on.  If you don't have, or don't want to pull out the stand mixer, this is the way.  Baking in a cast dutch oven gives the bread a good steam spring like a wood oven, and a great crust.

Well..i'm just going to have to order this book.  Working part-time from home it will get used.

Thank you for the offering.  This pretty much how i got very serious about mustards.

• Like 1

On 4/20/2020 at 12:26 AM, Historian said:

Basil and tomatoes.  With a little olive oil and salt. 

I may have to dig through the spice cabinet the next time I cut one. Normally just salt and pepper make tomatoes disappear around me.

Edited by jfost11
I've been drinking and the phone keyboard is too small

On 4/20/2020 at 8:23 AM, tadbart said:

a grilled cheese sandwich.  whether absolutely simple with Kraft slices, or fancy with sourdough and gouda, there's just something peaceful about that sammich to me.

a close second- bum bread. self-rising flour and water, pressed, and fried in a pan.

I can think of a certain fellow from Muscogee who would probably have some tales about sammiches, grilled cheese in particular. I actually made a grilled cheese tonight. Followed by sitting on the back porch with a beer, listening to the birds and watching the dog sleep in the chair next to me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Historian said:

Well..i'm just going to have to order this book.  Working part-time from home it will get used.

Thank you for the offering.  This pretty much how i got very serious about mustards.

Do you make your own?  I have a big bag of mustard seeds just for making mustard and my own version of mostarda.

2 hours ago, Historian said:

My method differs from the book in that the book calls for the last rise on a well floured kitchen towel placed in a bowl and rolled into the heated dutch oven.  I just put the dough on a parchment sheet and lift it into the heated dutch oven, so I can make fun designs on the top.

54 minutes ago, jfost11 said:

I can think of a certain fellow from Muscogee who would probably have some tales about sammiches, grilled cheese in particular. I actually made a grilled cheese tonight. Followed by sitting on the back porch with a beer, listening to the birds and watching the dog sleep in the chair next to me.

I just finished one. White Mountain Bread, 2 slices of American, 2 slices of sharp cheddar.

I raise my glass to that feller. A friend to all.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Al Czervik said:

My method differs from the book in that the book calls for the last rise on a well floured kitchen towel placed in a bowl and rolled into the heated dutch oven.  I just put the dough on a parchment sheet and lift it into the heated dutch oven, so I can make fun designs on the top.

Ahh you've taken it to an art rather than just something one eats.  What a joy.

I feel that way about the mustard i make or the beer i brew.   The more you learn about what makes something work the more there is to learn.

Have you considered making your own butter?  I find it interesting that butter from different time's of year are used for baking or eating.    There's a world out there that people like you understand but is missing most mortals.

3 hours ago, Al Czervik said:

Do you make your own?  I have a big bag of mustard seeds just for making mustard and my own version of mostarda.

Been making mustard almost as long as beer and that is almost 25 years now.

It is not hard to do but you certainly will not be buying your mustard at the store after you start.

• Like 1

I don’t know if this counts, and get ready to turn you nose up, but a basic, one topping Tombstone frozen pizza tells me that I’m home, I’m clean, I’m warm and dry, and I’m bone tired.

Shes reclining on one end of the couch, me on the other, with her feet on my lap as I give them a little squeeze now and then as we watch mindless sitcoms on network TV.

what can I say?  I’m a simple man.and although I have champagne taste, a beer and a cheap pizza is usually all I need.

• Like 1

On 4/20/2020 at 10:56 PM, Pima Pants said:

Sour cream pickled herring. I can't find any locally here in the Heart of the Old West, Prescott, Arizona.

I love that stuff too, but I've always been able to find it everywhere I've lived on the West coast. Try contacting the company that makes th Lascco brand and see if you can order it online from someplace or if ther's anywher near you that has it or can get it.

Ocean Beauty Seafoods
1100 W. Ewing Street

Seattle, WA 98119

206-285-6800

21 hours ago, Borg warner said:

I love that stuff too, but I've always been able to find it everywhere I've lived on the West coast. Try contacting the company that makes th Lascco brand and see if you can order it online from someplace or if ther's anywher near you that has it or can get it.

Ocean Beauty Seafoods
1100 W. Ewing Street

Seattle, WA 98119

206-285-6800

Thank you my friend. I'm aware of the brand. The Costco in Prescott used to stock it but no more. Now I have a starting point, thanks to you. 

• Like 1

• Administrators

Another simple favorite is a rare or medium-rare steak, seasoned only with salt and pepper. That really is all a good cut of meat needs. In my opinion, if a steak needs steak sauce, it isn’t a good steak.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Eric said:

Another simple favorite is a rare or medium-rare steak, seasoned only with salt and pepper. That really is all a good cut of meat needs. In my opinion, if a steak needs steak sauce, it isn’t a good steak.

Yeah, you could sous vide a bottom round steak in Blake Lively's underwear just right, but I'm still going to want it sliced thin and served with a bottle of A-1.

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, Al Czervik said:

Yeah, you could sous vide a bottom round steak in Blake Lively's underwear just right, but I'm still going to want it sliced thin and served with a bottle of A-1.

Why not just slather it in ketchup? :biggrin:

• Haha 1