Name A Simple Food...

Eric

Today for lunch i had the tomato, basil, salt olive, oil, some wonderful olives...a can of sardines, a bit of French bread, and some nice cheese.

Yeah.  That's pretty much where it is.

Going to call mom tonight.  It's been a day or two since i talked to her.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Pretty much this right here.. My bread, from fresh ground wheat, my mom's jelly.. I get a care package every year, as do all my siblings, and a few chosen people.. LOL I don't know how long she will still be able to make it. The poms are from trees in their "front yard" they planted the year they bought the property, part of an orchard area my dad wanted.. 50 years later still producing well. But at 80, she is getting to where it is a lot more work then she likes, to make up 200 or so jars every fall.

Bread_zpsbef96285.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, SFCSMITH(RET) said:

Pretty much this right here.. My bread, from fresh ground wheat, my mom's jelly.. I get a care package every year, as do all my siblings, and a few chosen people.. LOL I don't know how long she will still be able to make it. The poms are from trees in their "front yard" they planted the year they bought the property, part of an orchard area my dad wanted.. 50 years later still producing well. But at 80, she is getting to where it is a lot more work then she likes, to make up 200 or so jars every fall.

Growing up my dad would make the best jelly from blackberries and raspberries on our property.   We moved away, sadly, from that place but we live in strawberry and blueberry county. 

Every once in a while i present him with a five gallon bucket of fruit that gets turned into a memory.

Edited by Historian
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, Redhookbklyn said:

Now I want an English muffin with strawberry preserves.

Real english muffins.  Not the kind that come in a bread-loaf wrapper from the supermarket.  They're just brown hockey pucks.

(Like most all bagels.  Just hard chewy jerky.

My friend once took me to ye olde bagel place in some decrepit neighborhood in NYC.  I think they steamed (?) them.  Melt in your mouth.  With cream cheese made by some old grannies (babushkas).)

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Zonny said:

Melted butter? Or just softened?

Just softened, not sure what it would do if it was melted, probably at most would change the texture a little is all.

I've also covered it in dark chocolate.  Best done after it's cooled and cut into squares, of it will break off when you try to cut it.

• Thanks 1

French bread.

Not made in America.

Made in France, by someone who buys small batch grain, who puts a finger in the air and says the temperature is 58 degrees, so we need this much yeast, this much water...and an old stove that has made generations bread.

25 minutes ago, Historian said:

French bread.

Not made in America.

Made in France, by someone who buys small batch grain, who puts a finger in the air and says the temperature is 58 degrees, so we need this much yeast, this much water...and an old stove that has made generations bread.

I challenge any Frenchman (or Frenchwoman....which I'll have to thoroughly inspect first to qualify), to out bread me in my wood fired oven. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Huaco Kid said:

I get these frozen tuna "steaks" that are 4" across and 2" thick.  Let them thaw in the fridge overnight and eat them with only a sharp knife.  Fresh soy,  if I have it.  Old soy just turns into vinegar.

And Of Course room temperature.  I actually prefer eel sauce.

On 4/19/2020 at 10:57 PM, Eric said:

...That really brings you joy? For me, it’s buttered toast. It doesn’t get much more basic than that, but I love it. How about you?

That, and also peanut butter on toast. Both with a glass of milk. 

19 hours ago, Huaco Kid said:

Real english muffins.  Not the kind that come in a bread-loaf wrapper from the supermarket.  They're just brown hockey pucks.

(Like most all bagels.  Just hard chewy jerky.

My friend once took me to ye olde bagel place in some decrepit neighborhood in NYC.  I think they steamed (?) them.  Melt in your mouth.  With cream cheese made by some old grannies (babushkas).)

In my youth, babushkas) were a common article.  Now most haven't heard of them.  Those were good years.

17 hours ago, Al Czervik said:

I challenge any Frenchman (or Frenchwoman....which I'll have to thoroughly inspect first to qualify), to out bread me in my wood fired oven. 

You clearly know how to use your tools and what the conditions are that make great bread. 

Apparently, the art to bread is temperature, heat control and quality grains and yeast.

I would look forward to this tasty challenge!

Edited by Historian