Anybody seen any good movies lately?

I just managed to stream "The Red Right Hand" with Orlando Bloom and Andie MacDowell. It was XLNT. Andie Mac Dowell was kind of sexy when she was young but she's 65 now and plays the hard-ass boss of a ruthless local criminal gang and Orlando Bloom plays a reformed criminal and highly skilled hit man who was once part of the gang but now his single father alcoholic brother gets in debt to the gang and the hero has to work for the evil woman gang leader to pay off the debt. And if he doesn't, they will lose their ranch and the evil woman threatens to kill the man's brother and the hero's gutsy little 14 year old niece.

Lots of tense moments when you think the hero has no chance but gets help from another reformed criminal turned Preacher. Good action movie without a lot of thing blowing up but with good hand-to-hand fighting and gun fighting. It takes place in present day but the plot is a classic western that could have taken place in the 1880's

• Like 3

Just now, Valmet said:

I re-watched Once Upon a Time in Hollywood yesterday- best film I’ve seen in years. 

I recently re-watched that in January.   Seriously under rated.  

Most movies I see now are streamed.  We saw a movie in a theater 6 months ago.  It was a horror flick but can't remember it, Sound of Freedom?

Lots of Heat fans here and I am halfway thru the book, Heat 2.  I suggest you give it a look.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Valmet said:

I re-watched Once Upon a Time in Hollywood yesterday- best film I’ve seen in years. 

Once Upon A Time In America is worth a re-watch too. 😎

• Like 3

10 hours ago, MO Fugga said:

Nothing new, just finished Carlito's Way. It's been a few years. 

I liked that movie The soundtrack had one of my favorites songs from when I was in High school, "El Watusi" by Ray Barretto.  I had a 45 rpm record and I wore it out.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, MO Fugga said:

Nothing new, just finished Carlito's Way. It's been a few years. 

Hmmm, Penelope! 

Luis Guzman, proof positive that  man desended from the apes. Gene Rayburn too! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Batesmotel said:

The kids are coming over this afternoon to re-watch Dune part 1. Then after dinner we are going to the theater to watch part2. 

These days you have to specify 1984, 2002, or current.  😁

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Rellik said:

Hmmm, Penelope! 

That dude turns up everywhere. Funny in The Cowboy Way.

• Like 1

• Administrators
37 minutes ago, Rellik said:

Hmmm, Penelope! 

I liked Guzman as José Gacha in the TV series Narcos. Him and his rocket launcher.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, El Spicoli said:

Not a movie but the Shogun series on FX is pretty dang good.

The recent TV series are a lot better than most movies these days. I really liked The Old Man with Jeff Bridges and John Lithgow and the recent Reacher series, and Justified with Timothy  Oliphant and Walter Goggins And there was also a detective series with Walter Goggins in it that was good. And I really like Bosch because I've read all the books. I never could get interested in Yellowstone but the prequels, 1884 and 1924 were Really good, much better than Yellowstone.

What made Justified so good was that it was written and produced by Elmore Leonard. one of my favorite authors who has written some good westerns. And that was what made Bosch so good also was that it was written and Produced by Micheal Connolly who wrote all the Bosch books and the Lincoln Lawyer books as well.

I only heard about Shogun a couple of days ago but have already seen episodes 1 and 2 and look forward to episode three and I've recently heard that there's going to be a season 2. and years ago when the Shogun book first came out I stayed up all night and read it and then called in sick and slept in and continued reading. And I also liked the 1980 mini-series with Richard Chamberlain and Toshiro Mifune.

• Like 3

TCM (the Turner movie station) just finished with "29 Days of Oscar", with all movies having received nominations and won the category. ALOT of VERY good and cool movies.

Now they have switched into a Film Noir mode...

which is very cool.
  • Like 3

On 3/10/2024 at 10:54 AM, Batesmotel said:

The kids are coming over this afternoon to re-watch Dune part 1. Then after dinner we are going to the theater to watch part2. 

Part 1 was pretty good. I have not seen part 2 yet

• Like 2

You can't make this stuff up.

A writer for lefty woke outlet Medium is facing ridicule for penning an article complaining about the lack of black actors in a new TV show about Samurai warriors in Japan in the year 1600.

The show, produced by FX, is a remake of the popular Shōgun series from 1980, which also featured no black actors.

Because it’s about ancient Japan.

The network’s guide to the series states “FX’s Shōgun, based on James Clavell’s bestselling novel, is set in Japan in the year 1600, at the dawn of a century-defining civil war. Lord Yoshii Toranaga (Hiroyuki Sanada) is fighting for his life as his enemies on the Council of Regents unite against him, when a mysterious European ship is found marooned in a nearby fishing village.”

There are European people in the series too, because Europeans travelled to Japan in boats at that time.

Japanese and Europeans, but no blacks? Medium writer and critical race theorist William Spivey cannot abide that.

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️ pic.twitter.com/pQYDFcaHb3
    — Asian Dawn (@AsianDawn4) March 11, 2024

He writes “The white characters appearing in the first episodes representing Portugal, Spain, England, and Holland could hardly be deemed heroic. However, the character John Blackthorne, now played by Cosmo Jarvis, is already a pivotal figure and will be a hero, along with several Japanese characters.”

Oh no! the horror.

” I ask the question now that I naively didn’t ask in 1980. Where are the Black people?” he adds.

In Africa, that’s the short answer. But no, Spivey isn’t done. He goes on to claim that there absolutely were black people in Japan in 1600 and some of them were Samurai warriors.

“I don’t ask out of a desire to see representation when it wasn’t historically accurate. I inquire because there were Black people in Japan in 1600 and before, though Japan could teach Florida a thing or two about rewriting history,” he claims.

Spivey continues, “According to multiple sources, one of the early real-life Shoguns, Sakanoue no Tamuramaro (758–811), was Black, though denied by others. There is a consensus he was something other than pure Japanese, and he is often considered descended from the Ainu, the darker-skinned indigenous people of northern Japan who were subjected to forced assimilation and colonization.”

Not content with that unverifiable and inaccurate claim, he made up a ‘Japanese’ proverb, that goes “For a Samurai to be brave, he must have a bit of Black blood.”

Note Spivey’s capitalisation of the word ‘black’. This proverb, if it exists at all which it likely doesn’t, is not referring to black people, but rather darkness of the soul.

Respondents, including black people, pointed out that all of this is nuts and yet another example of the insane fringe effort to blackify history, which has included baseless claims of black ancient Britons, Romans, scholars, Mesolithic hunter-gatherers, and the list goes on.

There's no evidence that it's any kind of Japanese proverb. Proverbs come from somewhere. They are normally attributed to a person or some literary source. Without a source, then there's no reason to believe it's a legitimate saying.
    — Final Legion (@THEFinalLegion) March 9, 2024

In other words, no, you don't have a source.
    — Final Legion (@THEFinalLegion) March 9, 2024

1) He can't source this proverb because it doesn't exist

2) It doesn't need capitalizing of "black" because it's a color

3) It doesn't refer to black people (even if the proverb existed) – it refers to darkness (capability of violence)
    — AlphalphaMale (@pdoherty972) March 11, 2024

You made it up, bro. You are retconning Japanese culture to include black people as some kind of pivotal component to boost your pride. Also–Ainu aren't black.

Take the L.
    — dmduncan (@dmduncan2010) March 11, 2024

this is like insisting that "black-hearted" refers to blacks.
    — Goebbels (@NationofArya) March 11, 2024

Where are the black people in Shōgun?

Exactly where they actually were in 1600–Not Japan.
    — Clawed Monet (@jackalspat) March 12, 2024

Ummm in Africa? Which is not in Asia?
    — ج (@herebczadhd) March 11, 2024

The belief that it is an automatic natural force of nature that black people should somehow inherit part of all other communities and groups is maybe the reason why sub-Saharan Africa never achieved anything.
    — Velvet Robot Elvis (@avelvetrobot) March 11, 2024

William Spivey writes books on critical race theory…nothing more to be said really.
    — 卂几卂ㄥ ㄒ乇匚卄几丨匚丨卂几 (@AnalTechnician) March 11, 2024

There is an anecdote that a black samurai named "Yasuke" served Nobunaga.

As Japanese, we do not care which race plays such a role in the tradition, and we welcome it.

Of course, as long as it is enjoyable.
    — せぶ (@SebuAPH) March 11, 2024

I'm Japanese, a native speaker, born in Japan, grew up in Japan and learned Japanese history in Japan. But I have never heard such a proverb: Don't make up your own theory.
    — Manchun Milky Naomi Tåkãnø🏊 (@honten) March 11, 2024

Just because one random black guy write a nonsense article does not mean we asked or share his views. Ok ✌🏿🤷🏾‍♂️
    — K. N. T. C (@ColeKamil) March 11, 2024

African/black people have wonderful culture and history. How about you write about that instead of trying to inherit someone else's culture
    — Schmogli (@SchmogliMakaron) March 11, 2024

It's a story about European settlers trying to get a foothold in Japan, not everything needs to be about black American representation. Finding a black person that's not a tourist in Japan today is next to impossible, let alone in the 1600s.
    — Lunaetic (@Lunaetic66) March 11, 2024

Shogun, a story written by a white guy about feudal Japan who was racist against blacks making everyone white. After all, the world is racist against blacks because the entire world is black. And they are responsible for all the advances of civilization, except black countries.
    — Odinn (@OdinnAuga) March 11, 2024

Uhhhh, let me be frank. When this sort of nonsense is put forth, you mostly just put people off and make them resent you more than they already do.

That's a bold statement, but you know it's true.
    — Pedro Poloma (@PPoloma26325) March 11, 2024

Search twitter no one black is asking this we aren’t even watching this show. Don’t care .
    — Hebrew Thought 🧠 💭🔯 (@KangsBurner) March 11, 2024

He must have used Google's Gemini AI to research the series.
    — 𝐀𝐧𝐚𝐜𝐨𝐭𝐭𝐒𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐥 (@anacottsteel) March 12, 2024

Literally only one black samurai. Sure you can add him but that’s it
    — TDawg (@TDawg8509) March 11, 2024

They think Japanese and Chinese were black and that wakanda is real.
    — (Uncivilized) 🇹🇼🇹🇭🇰🇷 (@Mokrewki) March 11, 2024

We wuz Shoguns and shieeet
    — William Nashton (@NashtonWilliam) March 11, 2024

Where are the Inuit trans one armed dwarves?
    — Stand and Deliver (@DandyHywayMan) March 11, 2024

https://modernity.news/2024/03/12/writer-ridiculed-for-asking-where-are-the-black-people-in-ancient-japan-samurai-tv-show/

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

For people that have little history to call their own, they sure want to be included in everything everyone else has done.   Sure there were some talented ones that did good things but it's not their norm.

• Thanks 1