Hostess has made the ultimate

geeorge

Gone are the days of the Banana Flip, the real Chocolaty Hostess cupcakes, the Ding dongs of old, all which were loaded with the ingredient Palm oil that tasted so good when accompanied by untold quantities of sugar.

Not to mention those shredded Coconut covered cupcakes with the stretchy covering of foamy goodness.

These current dry as a desert confections that now require a liquid to allow them to be swallowed.  I fondly remember the three major food groups that made everything taste like a dream. Fat, Salt, and Sugar.

And they were loaded with preservatives that account for our present large number of aged.

• Like 2

I used to be quite fond of Twinkies. I found some with strawberry creme filling and ate the entire box on my way home from the store. Then the strike/closure/reopening happened. I've tried two Twinkies after that and they were both nasty. It's been years since I've bought a hostess product. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Is the chocolate coating that they use just flavored candle wax?

3 hours ago, jfost11 said:

I used to be quite fond of Twinkies. I found some with strawberry creme filling and ate the entire box on my way home from the store. Then the strike/closure/reopening happened. I've tried two Twinkies after that and they were both nasty. It's been years since I've bought a hostess product. 

I had the same experience with Coca Cola when I stopped drinking the stuff. Years later I tried a can and threw it away.  I don't really think anything changed. I am pretty sure it was alwasy nasty, just now, my pallet has cleansed and reset so that I can now taste the true liquid garbage it always was.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, jmohme said:

Is the chocolate coating that they use just flavored candle wax?

I had the same experience with Coca Cola when I stopped drinking the stuff. Years later I tried a can and threw it away.  I don't really think anything changed. I am pretty sure it was alwasy nasty, just now, my pallet has cleansed and reset so that I can now taste the true liquid garbage it always was.

On the Coca-Cola you may have gotten caught as they phased out sugar in favor of corn syrup. So-called “NewCoke” covered that transition. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, railfancwb said:

On the Coca-Cola you may have gotten caught as they phased out sugar in favor of corn syrup. So-called “NewCoke” covered that transition. 

My children recently discovered what a "Mexican" Coke is and the difference with white sugar vs corn syrup. Although I think mostly they prefer to play with the glass bottle afterwards.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Eric said:

I tried one. Meh. 

Good more for me. 

Been looking for them at my local wally mart for over a month.

Today we struck gold , they had 10 boxes out on the shelf, I bought two and put them in the freezer to forget about then find then later as found treasure

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 12/20/2023 at 4:33 AM, janice6 said:

Gone are the days of the Banana Flip, the real Chocolaty Hostess cupcakes, the Ding dongs of old, all which were loaded with the ingredient Palm oil that tasted so good when accompanied by untold quantities of sugar.

Not to mention those shredded Coconut covered cupcakes with the stretchy covering of foamy goodness.

These current dry as a desert confections that now require a liquid to allow them to be swallowed.  I fondly remember the three major food groups that made everything taste like a dream. Fat, Salt, and Sugar.

And they were loaded with preservatives that account for our present large number of aged.

Banana Flips were the THING! during my childhood. My cousin and I fought wars over the last banana flip. We scoured the ditches for soda bottles alongside roads and railroads to cash in for banana flips. We licked the cardboard insert and cellophane wrapper to get every bit of goodness.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, aomagrat said:

Banana Flips were the THING! during my childhood. My cousin and I fought wars over the last banana flip. We scoured the ditches for soda bottles alongside roads and railroads to cash in for banana flips. We licked the cardboard insert and cellophane wrapper to get every bit of goodness.

For two years in Highschool I had a Banana Flip and a bottle of Creme soda for lunch.  I still remember all the palm oil on my fingers and how good that Banana Flip was.......   Good days are gone forever since some butthole decided to change good food for healthy food.