I have been shaken

NPTim

When we first moved to Tempe, where I had lived in the late 80’s, I got lost. No big deal, right? Wrong, I don’t get lost, like never since I was 3 or 4 years old. This shook me pretty hard, scared shitless that I was loosing my mental abilities.

Fast forward to today. I’m in wally world. They put my favorite chip, basically on the floor. I get down on all 4’s and fish out my chips. I had real difficulties getting back up, almost didn’t. I applied pressure and there was nothing. I feel like I’m dwindling down like my 87 year old neighbor, AT 55! I am way too young to be this debilitated.

I’m going to start getting down on a mat and practice getting back up with minimal use of my arms.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

• Administrators
7 minutes ago, NPTim said:

When we first moved to Tempe, where I had lived in the late 80’s, I got lost. No big deal, right? Wrong, I don’t get lost, like never since I was 3 or 4 years old. This shook me pretty hard, scared shitless that I was loosing my mental abilities.

Fast forward to today. I’m in wally world. They put my favorite chip, basically on the floor. I get down on all 4’s and fish out my chips. I had real difficulties getting back up, almost didn’t. I applied pressure and there was nothing. I feel like I’m dwindling down like my 87 year old neighbor, AT 55! I am way too young to be this debilitated.

I’m going to start getting down on a mat and practice getting back up with minimal use of my arms.

Like Radiohead once said, "Gravity always wins."

Not for nothing, but the fresh fruit can generally be found at waist level. :biggrin:

• Haha 6

• Administrators

Seriously though, increasing your activity and exercising will always yield results. I've been working on that myself.

Alternatively, go to Walmart's website and order your groceries online, for pickup at the store. Let someone else bend over to get the chips. :599c64bfb50b0_wavey1:

• Like 4

6 hours ago, NPTim said:

That day comes to us all, or most of us, anyway. The problem is that we successfully concentrate our efforts on one area, usually our jobs, to the exclusion of others. I find that exercise is something I can always put on the back burner, and that's a real problem. I think that's why classes and having coaches, etc. help. That makes you set aside time on a regular basis to work out. It's easy to say "I'll just walk around the block every morning" but it's even easier to skip it if there's nobody with a whip.

Good luck, and remember - it all starts getting better at 55. :greensupergrin:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, NPTim said:

Wait for twelve years and get back to us. tom. :fred:

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

My test involves sitting on the floor, lotus position without legs on thighs, and trying to stand without the use of the arms, hands and hopefully, head.

I haven't done that in a while. I'll try it now.

Be back in about 45 minutes. If I don't, would somebody please call 911?

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, deputy tom said:

Wait for twelve years and get back to us. tom. :fred:

Exactly my point. I honestly don’t see me hitting 60. Not that I’m giving up, but my current path is a downward spiral.

• Sad 5

I can sit down onto the floor cross-legged and get up both without using my hands, but I sound like a bowlful of Rice Crispies when I do it.  Snap,Crackle,Pop for the win!  On the other hand, I have absolutely NO sense of direction.  If the sun isn't out, don't ask me.  Because I WILL BE WRONG.  Having said that, I have no problem at all memorizing a map and giving you good directions to places.  I just can't tell you which way to turn if I'm in the car without a map and you want to drive north toward somewhere and there is no sun for me to orient on.  Needless to say, I'm the reason you see those little piles of stones on hiking trails... I'm hiking pile to pile, or landmark to landmark, because I sure don't know which direction I'm traveling in.  This alternately amuses and exasperates Mr.C.  No one is ever surprised when I get lost...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

No doubt a very humbling experience. 

I had a much milder one this spring. I've been a bull all my life, and this spring as usual I muscled the outboard motor on the back of the boat... after 3 tries. It's always been a chore, but this felt like a strain on my ligaments and entire system. I think what really caused the extra effort was the balancing of the awkward weight (outboard motors are very top heavy to those unfamiliar with handling them) and the shifts while moving. Guess I don't compensate as quickly as I use to. Might be time to just winterize it and leave it on the boat instead of wrestling with it twice a year. 119344066_angeldevil.gif.e69c0a3e42bc4066955b426c39dd0587.gif

• Like 2

8 hours ago, NPTim said:

giphy.gif

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, NPTim said:

I don't know what age it happens at, and it's probably different for everyone, but at a certain age an ankle holster is no longer a viable means of concealed carry because it would take too long to get down and access the gun and get back up again.

I did construction work all my life and that kept me in good shape. But after I reached my 70's I wasn't as active anymore and when the local community center started offering yoga lessons I took a few classes but gave it up because it was just too damn hard. I wish I'd started taking those classes in my 40's.

• Like 4

I figured out a few years ago to never get in the floor without a definite plan on getting up. A backup may be frugal.

Kinda sucked, I had a very hard time getting in the floor to play with the grand daughter when she was itty bitty. She is 5 going on 35 now and is a lot of help when grandpa needs it.

• Like 4

I'm 68. Worked hard all my life starting with logging, then oilfield and commercial fishing. Just retired from my gravel business. I find myself struggling to do things that used to be easy. (well at least for me anyway) It's embarrassing to ask someone to do something I used to do that I now struggle with. That said, I cut and split firewood yesterday, then rode the wheeler into my remote cabin to work on my damaged chimney. I got up on the metal roof all alone. Did that also a few days ago to inspect the damage. I worked up there for a bit prepping the chimney for replacement. When I had done all I could do, I waited on the roof until my son showed up to help. I didn't want to tackle the trip down the ladder alone. We got the new chimney installed and working. In my mind I'm still a tough man. Right up until I have to face the fact that a girl could probably kick my ass now days. Que in the whimpering. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Walt Longmire said:

I'm 68. Worked hard all my life starting with logging, then oilfield and commercial fishing. Just retired from my gravel business. I find myself struggling to do things that used to be easy. (well at least for me anyway) It's embarrassing to ask someone to do something I used to do that I now struggle with. That said, I cut and split firewood yesterday, then rode the wheeler into my remote cabin to work on my damaged chimney. I got up on the metal roof all alone. Did that also a few days ago to inspect the damage. I worked up there for a bit prepping the chimney for replacement. When I had done all I could do, I waited on the roof until my son showed up to help. I didn't want to tackle the trip down the ladder alone. We got the new chimney installed and working. In my mind I'm still a tough man. Right up until I have to face the fact that a girl could probably kick my ass now days. Que in the whimpering. 

Couldn't have put it any better myself.  At 73 I know I can still get up on the roof to clean my Chimney.  But the wife would absolutely Kill me, and she CAN Kick my ass now days.  Then I got out of bed this morning and could barely move.  Guess what is out by the Trash right now.  That's right...That miserable Bed!!!

• Like 2