Nerds Rise Up!

Maser

1 hour ago, Historian said:

... I had originally thought it was Dusty Ayers. 

That was a good episode.  You do know your Robotech!

I got my son hooked on it years ago.

Watched Macross with my youngest daughter (the whole family, actually, but her for the first time) this past summer.  I don't think she's interested enough to sit through Southern Cross yet; although, if we skipped ahead to 3rd Generation, she'd probably like it.  Rand & Annie keep the childish humor going.

For anyone else in the mood for classic 80's animated Sci-Fi space opera, you can find Robotech on Netflix and Amazon Prime.

https://www.amazon.com/The-Macross-Saga-Boobytrap/dp/B01I4ICUAC/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=robotech+prime&qid=1578797046&sr=8-1

If you're not into anime, you'll probably want some kids or grandkids around as the excuse to watch it, but you may find that you enjoy the story.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Maccabeus said:

That was a good episode.  You do know your Robotech!

I was about...i don't know...13 when i found that.    Thanks for the compliment.  I enjoyed that a lot back then.  Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

Star Blazers was another good one.  Voltron was a predictable as the sun rise.

Edited by Historian
  • Like 1

• Administrators
22 minutes ago, kerbie18 said:

My new galaxy note 10plus phone has more storage space than my desktop computer. Something about that hurts my brain a little....

It’s crazy. This little flash drive has 16gb of storage. When I was in college in the late eighties, after I got out of the Army, I did some part-time work at UTSA, installing 10mb hard drives. These were full-height 5-1/4” drives. A  modernish PC 5-1/4” CD/DVD multi drive is actually a half-height drive. These old 10mb hard drives were twice as tall and ran almost to the back of those PC-XT computer cases. They weighed about fifteen pounds and they cost more than $6,000 each, back then.

I remember wondering then how anyone would ever need 10mb of storage. Now I have an six terabyte RAID NAS drive array and it is a little over 1/3 full. Times change. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/10/2020 at 5:58 PM, Historian said:

I get delivery of printed circuit boards from China...my designs.   Mostly for ham radio projects.

I've made them from the kits,  where you mark your design on solid-copper boards,  with the special tape and markers,  and then soak it in some acid-stuff.  Hand-drill the holes.

I copied and bootlegged a motorcycle alarm with a remote beeper.  There wasn't much to it.  Radio Shack had everything needed.  I'd sell them to the bikers.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Eric said:

It’s crazy. This little flash drive has 16gb of storage. When I was in college in the late eighties, after I got out of the Army, I did some part-time work at UTSA, installing 10mb hard drives. These were full-height 5-1/4” drives. A  modernish PC 5-1/4” CD/DVD multi drive is actually a half-height drive. These old 10mb hard drives were twice as tall and ran almost to the back of those PC-XT computer cases. They weighed about fifteen pounds and they cost more than $6,000 each, back then.

I remember wondering then how anyone would ever need 10mb of storage. Now I have an six terabyte RAID NAS drive array and it is a little over 1/3 full. Times change. 

Very similar story here.  A TB isn't what it used to be.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Huaco Kid said:

There wasn't much to it.  Radio Shack had everything needed.  I'd sell them to the bikers.

That was back when The Shack was the shack.  Now it sells cell phones.  Gone on the parts needed for real projects.  Unless you go online.  They still have some stuff there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Historian said:

That was back when The Shack was the shack.  Now it sells cell phones.  Gone on the parts needed for real projects.  Unless you go online.  They still have some stuff there.

We used to have a number of surplus electronics outfits here but all of them went to Internet selling now.

Hell, we have a few Pawn Shops that have store fronts but only sell through the Internet, dammit!

2 hours ago, Historian said:

Very similar story here.  A TB isn't what it used to be.

I have 4 TB drives outside of the computer in fan cooled stand alone boxes ($12 ea), and can't find much of anything to put on them.

I do have two of them on USB3 connected to the computer. One is empty and the other is every file and app I use.  Nothing except the OS is on the computer itself (another TB drive)

When I lost the computer the other day, I fired up the new one and essentially plugged the drive into the USB port and everything I previously had was there to use.

10 hours ago, Cubdriver said:

I collect and have a house full of old electronic test gear from the heydays of Hewlett-Packard, Tektronix and Fluke.

Oh, and I prefer the term 'geek'

-Pat

That right there is hard core.

I have an HP oscilloscope,   Mine was certified just before they surplussed the thing.  Hell of a device.

• Like 1