Nerds Rise Up!

Maser

Among other things, I made a bird feeder that's 6 feet long with the usual accoutrements for low income diners, and critter proof from the ground. 

My goal was to keep the area under the roof (2 x 4 x 6 feet) as free of structure as possible so the birds had ease of flying under the roof without structure in the way.

To add fun to the project, I eliminated the ridge pole and constructed a steel adjustable torsion bar assembly (so I had an excuse to weld) to adjust the roof.  If the roof sags, you take a wrench and adjust a nut to bring the ridge back into proper alignment.  it hasn't sagged yet, but I hold out hopes.

To hold the roof panels from sagging at the lower edges, I constructed  (IIRC) Robertson beams.  (It's been a while since I constructed it) along their length.

I did it simply for a fun thing to do.  It was fun, I succeeded.  I go through an average of 80 lbs. of seed every three weeks.  My four legged ground crew keeps the clutter to a minimum on the ground.

Edited by janice6
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Maser said:

Don't try to deny it.  We all do nerdy things so be up front and embrace your nerdiness in this thread and share your main act(s) of nerdism.  I'll start.

The playlist I listen to when I'm driving is mainly video game music.  

• Like 2

im trying to think ,   all i got is  i started collecting  video game  consoles and games years ago as teenager .  i got every one ever made ,  and lots of games .   but ive sold off like half of them  last few years ,  wife wanted one of the spare bedrooms .  so i made a deal she buy me a gun safe , i sell games .      

• Like 2

I suppose this might qualify.

I had a bunch of ham equipment and surplus military crap when I was in Jr. High.  So I got a big 6 Volt Dynamotor to supply 500 Volts to a 50 Watt modulator for an AM  transmitter I built.  then I put a couple of old 12 inch speakers behind the grille of my fathers car.

I would get some idiots like me and we would drive around town with the PA system making smart ass remarks.  It wasn't common back then to have PA systems in your car so people would look all around to see where all the crap was coming from.  All the work was worth the few moments of fun.  My father was not amused!  It was a hell of a load on the generator/battery.

Edited by janice6
  • Like 2

I know all the full names, powers, backgrounds, and storylines of all the Marvel super heroes characters the way most guys know stats for ball players or performance cars.  Worse, I knew all this before any of these movies were made or became popular.

• Like 2

• Administrators
17 hours ago, Eric said:

I am at this minute converting two old HP Win 7 laptops and an older HP Win Vista laptop to Ubuntu for a guy I know, so they will be usable for basic web surfing.

This is the USB flash drive I am installing Ubuntu from.

GoT.jpeg.3754152f1262901993514dbec6987501.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Maccabeus said:

I know all the full names, powers, backgrounds, and storylines of all the Marvel super heroes characters the way most guys know stats for ball players or performance cars.  Worse, I knew all this before any of these movies were made or became popular.

And your user picture here is from Robotech.  The TV show.  I think.

Edited by Historian
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Dric902 said:

I like cosplay chicks

Couple years ago i was at a very formal state level fraternal event that required a tuxedo for one of the evening events.  It was quite an amazing experience.

However, we shared the massive hotel with a stunning Indian wedding where the groom arrived on an elephant.    Not sure how much that event cost those people but it was probably the national income of a small third world country.

Also at the same hotel were a lot of people attending a ComicCon event at the convention center across the street.

So our hotel was a mix of fantastic wedding dresses, formal Indian men's wear (you should have seen the young men with blood red baldrics and perfect white suits with the correct head-ware) a bunch of us in tuxedos and some devotes of ComicCon.  I had a beer with The Tick.

Anyway.  I took too long getting to the point.  

Dressed in a tuxedo i entered an elevator to find a stunning blonde wearing next to nothing as a costume.  She looked at me and said, "Who are you?" Well, i did the only thing a man in a tuxedo could do when facing a woman so lovely she could have stopped traffic.

I told her I was, "Bond, James Bond," and exited the elevator.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Dric902 said:

Excellent ‘off the cuff’ reply

I would have spent have the night in the bar and front desk smiling

the best (?) I had was a MILF convention at out away from home hotel.

scary

I should have asked the valet for my Astin Martin.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Historian said:

And your user picture here is from Robotech.  The TV show.  I think.

Well, I am a Robotech fan, too.  Not many knew that show to begin with.  Fewer still remember it now.  Count me impressed. ? And, while the avatar does look a bit like Robotech's Rick Hunter, it's actually a close up on Captain Harlock, another nerdy Japanimation favorite of years gone by.  

harlock_9309.jpg

See the source image

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Maccabeus said:

Well, I am a Robotech fan, too.  Not many knew that show to begin with.  Fewer still remember it now.  Count me impressed. ? And, while the avatar does look a bit like Robotech's Rick Hunter, it's actually a close up on Captain Harlock, another nerdy Japanimation favorite of years gone by.  

harlock_9309.jpg

See the source image

Gotcha, for a moment I thought it was star blazers but it's the space pirate. I had originally thought it was Dusty Ayers. 

Well done!

• Like 2