Newfangled Wallet

Brad

I've been upgrading my everyday carry stuff for my Christmas present(s) this year and am thinking about getting one of those newfangled wallets like at: https://www.ridgewallet.com

Seems pretty compact compared to my big leather wallet.

Has anybody tried one of these? Pros and cons? One brand better than another?

image.png.7162ca9e84bad310ff0f93d3689c4c37.png

Edited by Brad
  • Like 4

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Brad said:

My wallet only has seven cards plus 3-4 greenbacks. It takes a whole bunch of layers of leather to keep those separated. Seems inefficient.

I was just kidding. I don’t carry much in mine either. I do like that my wallet has a removable folder for my Driver’s License and Concealed Carry card. I can grab just it with maybe a CC or a few bills tucked into it, if I don’t want to carry the whole wallet. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm cheap. A wallet is something to put money in, not spend it on.

If you plan to keep that for the duration, then I guess the $100+ isn't too bad, but I don't see that sort of coin in the thing. RDIF blocking is a feature that I demand in this day and time, especially since everyone has gone with chips on cards. Remember when they were the scourge of the economic community a few years ago? Now they are the scream of the world. Go figure.

Anyhoo,,,,,,,,,,Happy Shopping and Merry Christmas.

Edited by LostinTexas
  • Like 2

Since you are looking for this sort of thing, check this company out. SBA, veteran friendly, First Responder friendly and seem like just good folks. Their product still checks the boxes for things I want and you can spend as little or as much as you like. Get on the email list, they have special pricing several times a year.

I would opt for the money clip instead of the strap type bill holder, if I were buying. Tryvax

Happy Shopping

Edited by LostinTexas
  • Like 1

That option in the OP looks sturdy, but  even with only 2 bills and 3 cards (as shown) it would still be WAY too thick for my preferences.  At least the many layers of leather in a traditional wallet are flexible.  That one not only has thick side panels, but doesn't look comfortable to me.

Over the years, I went more and more minimalist.  Trifold to bifold to bifold with as few pockets as possible to reduce layers of leather.  For the past decade or so, I've been pleased with a simple business card case.  

One pocket on each side provides plenty of room for several credit cards, licenses, insurance cards, business cards, bandaids for the kids, etc.  Even with all that content, when closed, it's the same thickness as a Streamlight Microstream, which I keep clipped to it.

Cash goes in a money clip in the other pocket to keep my back pockets balanced.  And, on the off chance I get held up, I can toss the cash and not have to cancel all my cards and get new licenses.

wallet.thumb.jpg.774739533766b5d45a1693b2d817ff4a.jpg

Edited by Maccabeus

23 hours ago, Brad said:

I've been upgrading my everyday carry stuff for my Christmas present(s) this year and am thinking about getting one of those newfangled wallets like at: https://www.ridgewallet.com

I have something similar,  beware the tiny screws tend to fall out for some people so a tiny dab of loctite blue might be worth it.  You won't find replacement screws at the local hardware.  I like it and it quite compact.  I was looking for a replacement for my old clip when I found this one.  The clip can be used to secure to your pocket or for cash.  Check Amazon for  a large variety  of styles and prices.  https://www.amazon.com/s?k=swza+money+clip&crid=1VC50C3Y30I74&sprefix=swza+money+clip%2Cfashion%2C543&ref=nb_sb_ss_fb_1_15

image.png.54ed1b2610d97b9ed9b07599737b8a61.png

Edited by pipedreams
  • Like 2

On 12/13/2020 at 11:38 AM, Brad said:

It looks like being inflexible rigid metal construction with fairly sharp edges  it would be uncomfortable to carry especially sitting down. And I don't understand how it's supposed to work. And the money clip isn't going to work very well with wrinkled bills.  I'm perfectly happy with the same kind of leather wallet I've always carried but it's hard to find one with enough card holders. I only have a couple of credit cards but I have a library card, a AAA card, a store discount card, a CCW, a VA ID card, and more.

Edited by Borg warner
  • Like 2

My wife got me a Ridge wallet last year for Christmas with the money clip. I thought I wouldn't like it,but surprisingly I really have grown to love it. Small, compact and holds what I need. Not uncomfortable in the pocket and takes up little space.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Borg warner said:

It looks like being inflexible rigid metal construction with fairly sharp edges  it would be uncomfortable to carry especially sitting down. And I don't understand how it's supposed to work. And the money clip isn't going to work very well with wrinkled bills.  I'm perfectly happy with the same kind of leather wallet I've always carried but it's hard to find one with enough card holders. I only have a couple of credit cards but I have a library card, a AAA card, a store discount card, a CCW, a VA ID card, and more.

I think the thing is many men don't carry a wallet in their hip pocket like everyone used to.  That is why there are so many different type of wallets now.  When I carry my wallet it is usually in a jacket pocket or sometime a front trouser pocket.  I stopped carrying all the business cards and other junk I used to carry and keep that stuff in separate old wallet I rarely look into.  Many people also store lots of important information in the memo section of their phone or photo copies of various ID's such as passports in the phone.

• Like 2

• Administrators
4 hours ago, pipedreams said:

I think the thing is many men don't carry a wallet in their hip pocket like everyone used to.  That is why there are so many different type of wallets now.  When I carry my wallet it is usually in a jacket pocket or sometime a front trouser pocket.  I stopped carrying all the business cards and other junk I used to carry and keep that stuff in separate old wallet I rarely look into.  Many people also store lots of important information in the memo section of their phone or photo copies of various ID's such as passports in the phone.

My front pockets are already spoken for. I have my keys and change in my strong-side front pocket and a dual magazine pocket carrier in the other, with a knife clipped to that pocket.

• Like 2

im an old soul  i still carry my dads leather wallet , he passed in 95  , so i have no idea how old it is .  but if im like at flea markets or outdoor   venues  it goes in front pocket , from pockets have ccc and a good folder in other .id bet money my wallet is over 40 years old and still like new , just smooth now

• Like 2

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, ASH said:

im an old soul  i still carry my dads leather wallet , he passed in 95  , so i have no idea how old it is .  but if im like at flea markets or outdoor   venues  it goes in front pocket , from pockets have ccc and a good folder in other .id bet money my wallet is over 40 years old and still like new , just smooth now

Mine still looked like new until I sent it through the washer last week. It didn’t much like that.

• Like 1

I was gonna buy one of these until i seen the price. I got a minimalist leather wallet of amazon for like ten bucks. Carries four cards my license and my shooting range id and thats all i need. Cash goes in the other front pocket.  

• Like 1

I actually carry a little girl's (it's black with red trim) nylon trifold that I got at a party store years ago.  I spend so much time traveling in airports and in crowds,  that I only carry it in my front pants pocket.

It barely holds a bunch of 20s in the main pocket;  and folded bills in the velcro trifold part. One credit card and my DL stick out of the top,  which is convenient.

If I ever see anything like it again,  I'll buy them all.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Hook said:

I was gonna buy one of these until i seen the price. I got a minimalist leather wallet of amazon for like ten bucks. Carries four cards my license and my shooting range id and thats all i need. Cash goes in the other front pocket.  

No reason to pay those prices, look around all sorts for $20. or less.

• Like 3