Newfangled Wallet

Brad

22 hours ago, LostinTexas said:

Since you are looking for this sort of thing, check this company out. SBA, veteran friendly, First Responder friendly and seem like just good folks. Their product still checks the boxes for things I want and you can spend as little or as much as you like. Get on the email list, they have special pricing several times a year.

I would opt for the money clip instead of the strap type bill holder, if I were buying. Tryvax

Happy Shopping

They have some pretty interesting options. :)

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Maccabeus said:

That option in the OP looks sturdy, but  even with only 2 bills and 3 cards (as shown) it would still be WAY too thick for my preferences.  At least the many layers of leather in a traditional wallet are flexible.  That one not only has thick side panels, but doesn't look comfortable to me.

Over the years, I went more and more minimalist.  Trifold to bifold to bifold with as few pockets as possible to reduce layers of leather.  For the past decade or so, I've been pleased with a simple business card case.  

One pocket on each side provides plenty of room for several credit cards, licenses, insurance cards, business cards, bandaids for the kids, etc.  Even with all that content, when closed, it's the same thickness as a Streamlight Microstream, which I keep clipped to it.

Cash goes in a money clip in the other pocket to keep my back pockets balanced.  And, on the off chance I get held up, I can toss the cash and not have to cancel all my cards and get new licenses.

wallet.thumb.jpg.774739533766b5d45a1693b2d817ff4a.jpg

A business card holder is an interesting idea; I have one of those that I could try.

I hadn't thought about the tactical utility of having the cash separate. That's a very good point.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Fnfalman said:

I’ve been thinking about an RFID proof wallet so that the thieves can’t steal info from your credit cards. 

I've just got a couple of those little RFD "envelopes" to put the credit cards in.  My wallet looks almost like History's.  Hardly ever carry cash nowdays anyway.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Borg warner said:

It looks like being inflexible rigid metal construction with fairly sharp edges  it would be uncomfortable to carry especially sitting down. And I don't understand how it's supposed to work. And the money clip isn't going to work very well with wrinkled bills.  I'm perfectly happy with the same kind of leather wallet I've always carried but it's hard to find one with enough card holders. I only have a couple of credit cards but I have a library card, a AAA card, a store discount card, a CCW, a VA ID card, and more.

13 hours ago, pipedreams said:

I think the thing is many men don't carry a wallet in their hip pocket like everyone used to.  That is why there are so many different type of wallets now.  When I carry my wallet it is usually in a jacket pocket or sometime a front trouser pocket.  I stopped carrying all the business cards and other junk I used to carry and keep that stuff in separate old wallet I rarely look into.  Many people also store lots of important information in the memo section of their phone or photo copies of various ID's such as passports in the phone.

Right -- no way I'd try to sit on one of those. I was thinking cargo pocket.

Ever since covid hit, my uniform seven days a week is cargo shorts.

Right pocket has a folding knife and key organizer clipped to it. IF I need my other keychain with key fobs, it goes loosely in this pocket also; they don't rattle or jingle, so I don't mind them being loose.

Left cargo pocket has a thin flashlight clipped to it. One of these small wallets might fit in my left cargo pocket and clear the bottom of the flashlight. That, plus I don't like sitting on my wallet, is the motivation for the question at hand.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Historian said:

I carry a Saddleback medium leather wallet and have for about five years.  Has a life-time warranty.

Saddleback Wallet (Men's Pre-owned Tobacco Leather Pigskin RFID Shield  Bifold Wallet) | Saddleback wallet, Wallet men, Wallet

Over time mine has aged darker....i like it a lot it's fairly slim and they say RFID proof.

That's a good looking wallet.

2 hours ago, Brad said:

A business card holder is an interesting idea; I have one of those that I could try.

I hadn't thought about the tactical utility of having the cash separate. That's a very good point.

Sounds like you've got the perfect opportunity for a test run.  No shopping needed.  

Because I prefer thin & minimalist, traditional wallets are an automatic no-go for me.  A basic bifold has the outer layer, the inner layer of the bill compartment and then at least one more layer for cards, sometimes multiple layers if each pocket is a full piece of leather.  Fold that in half and you have 6-10 layers of leather.  That's already the thickness of 10 credit cards while it's still empty.  

A tip for convenient access in a business card case:  Because everything is stacked up together in one of two pockets, put your most used items at the top & bottom of each stack.  On one side, I have my driver's license on the top and my most used personal credit card on the bottom.  The other side has a business credit card on top and any soon to be used gift card on the bottom.  This prevents needing to pull out the whole stack of cards and fanning or sorting them to find the one you want.

IMG_20201215_105402729_BURST000_COVER.thumb.jpg.574dec4704b04585fc66d177b732bff0.jpg

Edited by Maccabeus
  • Like 1

As far as RFID goes, no modern major credit card is susceptible. Over a decade ago, the possibility existed, but even then, not all the necessary information such as the name, the address, the three digit security code [CVC, CSC, etc.], zip code, etc.

RFID theft is effectively non-existent.

26 minutes ago, blueiron said:

As far as RFID goes, no modern major credit card is susceptible. Over a decade ago, the possibility existed, but even then, not all the necessary information such as the name, the address, the three digit security code [CVC, CSC, etc.], zip code, etc.

RFID theft is effectively non-existent.

Funny you say that. Registers read it and every bit of the information the store needs to bill you comes up. Never had to put anything other than, sometimes, the three digit security code. 3 digits of numbers between 0 and 9 is about as secure as a screen door with one hinge these days.

Edited by LostinTexas

On 12/14/2020 at 10:40 AM, Maccabeus said:

Cash goes in a money clip in the other pocket to keep my back pockets balanced.  And, on the off chance I get held up, I can toss the cash and not have to cancel all my cards and get new licenses.

What's wrong with you?! Just toss some lead!

• Haha 1

On a more serious note, I hate walking around with all pockets being loaded with heavy crap. Bought this Tumi wallet 12 years ago and its still holding up. Driver license, carry license, personal credit card, business credit card, debit card, health insurance card and range membership. I stopped carrying cash a long time ago, its just nasty. I have some bills flying around in my cars for tolls and that's it.

image.png.91f000687cbaade898bcb1484e58dc0d.png

Edited by crockett
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, crockett said:

What's wrong with you?! Just toss some lead!

Distraction. Use the gift God gave you between your ears, it is the best tool you have. Of course, Sam Colt did a fine service as well.

We carry about the same number of cards. I do keep a little cash on hand though. Probably have the same bills in my pocket as I did a month or so ago, but it does have some endearing qualities.

Edited by LostinTexas
  • Like 1

For anyone interested, Trayvax is running a promotion on this wallet, probably last years or an end production model. They also tossed in a second (different) wallet for free, or did for me.

I don't know how long this will last and have no affiliation, but two of their wallets for ~$26 to my door is a great deal. Great enough I actually opened mine and ordered.

Edited by LostinTexas
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, LostinTexas said:

Funny you say that. Registers read it and every bit of the information the store needs to bill you comes up. Never had to put anything other than, sometimes, the three digit security code. 3 digits of numbers between 0 and 9 is about as secure as a screen door with one hinge these days.

You don't have chipped cards? 

On 12/13/2020 at 1:50 PM, Eric said:

I was just kidding. I don’t carry much in mine either. I do like that my wallet has a removable folder for my Driver’s License and Concealed Carry card. I can grab just it with maybe a CC or a few bills tucked into it, if I don’t want to carry the whole wallet. 

I have so much crap that I carry two wallets.  One has money the other all cards.  The other hand has the gun.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, blueiron said:

You don't have chipped cards? 

Yep. Tell us about all the information you have to input to make a purchase at a retail outlet. Run the card and everything they need to bill the card is there.

They might ask for a Zip code or a PIN, but that is to protect the retailer, not you.

Edited by LostinTexas