Newfangled Wallet

Brad

RFID sleeves don't help if you get caught by "shimmer"

This isn't something brand new, been around for a while, but be aware.

Shimmers are different. They take the form of a very thin card with an embedded microchip and flash storage which is slotted inside the card reader. You cannot tell the shimmer is inserted, and it doesn't stop cards from being used in the machine as normal.

"Business owners and banks can combat shimmers by carrying out daily checks on all their card reading devices. As for consumers, there's no easy way to tell a shimmer is inserted into a reader. However, you can opt to use tap-to-pay if it's available, and this removes the need to insert your card into the reader. The same is true of opting to use a service such as Apple Pay."

https://www.pcmag.com/news/latest-threat-to-credit-card-security-is-undetectable

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pipedreams said:

RFID sleeves don't help if you get caught by "shimmer"

This isn't something brand new, been around for a while, but be aware.

Shimmers are different. They take the form of a very thin card with an embedded microchip and flash storage which is slotted inside the card reader. You cannot tell the shimmer is inserted, and it doesn't stop cards from being used in the machine as normal.

"Business owners and banks can combat shimmers by carrying out daily checks on all their card reading devices. As for consumers, there's no easy way to tell a shimmer is inserted into a reader. However, you can opt to use tap-to-pay if it's available, and this removes the need to insert your card into the reader. The same is true of opting to use a service such as Apple Pay."

https://www.pcmag.com/news/latest-threat-to-credit-card-security-is-undetectable

Do shimmers work when the card is swiped instead of inserted?

6 hours ago, Brad said:

Never hear them called by that name, but going with yes.

Almost every gas pump, ATM, and self serve anything has security tape these days, that says to not use the machine if the tape is broken or tampered with. It involves a device being placed inside that reads the card and associated PIN or zip code.

A year or so ago people were getting busted right an left for this in our area. Not only did the card owner file on them , but he establishment was also in the loop. Double the pleasure so to speak. Some got time, all got big judgments. Not sure if any pay off came from them, but they are there.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Brad said:

Yes..................Shimmers are different. They take the form of a very thin card with an embedded microchip and flash storage which is slotted inside the card reader. You cannot tell the shimmer is inserted, and it doesn't stop cards from being used in the machine as normal.

Even if the cards have a chip, the data will still be on the card's magnetic strip to be backwards compatible with systems that can't handle the chip.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Got the notice that our new fangeled wallets are shipped. Well that means a shipping label was created and it is in a mail room. If we are lucky they will hit the post Office on Monday. Shipping from Washington State, so doubt they will be here for Christmas, but really didn't expect it with regular shipping and ordering 11th hour during Christmas season.

When they get here, I'll give you an opinion. That and $2.50 will get you a coffee at most convenience stores.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, arnold ziffle said:

it’s the smallest maxpedition pocket organizer. ids behind the military and cards and cash on the other side. 

F32A26A6-D122-4634-A8FA-4DB253DD39D1.jpeg

Nice, I have something like that in my grab bag in the truck.  Maybe one size larger, has a clear plastic ID/map pocket in the center.

Edited by pipedreams
  • Like 3

New fangled wallet came in today. Not sure how I feel about it, but the contends fell in like a fat kid on a see saw. Cards in, money clip built in, or what ever you feel like using it for. Fits much nicer in the pocket than I imagined.

Quality piece, American made, and the pricing was really good. The second unit that was gifted is a bit of a confusion, but after watching the video supplied by a QR code, it made since. Not sure how I feel about that one, but the price was hard to argue with.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, LostinTexas said:

New fangled wallet came in today. Not sure how I feel about it, but the contends fell in like a fat kid on a see saw. Cards in, money clip built in, or what ever you feel like using it for. Fits much nicer in the pocket than I imagined.

Quality piece, American made, and the pricing was really good. The second unit that was gifted is a bit of a confusion, but after watching the video supplied by a QR code, it made since. Not sure how I feel about that one, but the price was hard to argue with.

I assume you got the following one from your previous post. Is it easy to get cash in and out of the thing?

Are the two faces held together only by the cord? If so, then is it easy to control how tightly the cord holds the faces together?

image.png.59c5a176389da00aaa3d3976d49aef8b.png

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Brad said:

I assume you got the following one from your previous post. Is it easy to get cash in and out of the thing?

Are the two faces held together only by the cord? If so, then is it easy to control how tightly the cord holds the faces together?

image.png.59c5a176389da00aaa3d3976d49aef8b.png

Yes to all. Money/pocket clip is built into the back face, maybe pic #4?, plenty beefy and easy to use. I folded my bill into 1/3 size for the maiden voyage, and it seems to be just right. The faces are tied together with the cord. No more annoying than trying to adjust laces on a pair of shoes the first time, and once done it's done. There is a metal cover for the cord on the bottom where the cards slide in to protect it from the retaining tab. The cord once hooked surrounds the card stack. Seems top shelf for retention, and time will tell how durable.

According to Trayvax, this is the one that started it all, and is their best seller. I see why. There is a hole to clip items, or a retaining cord on the edge, a pry bar. not sure about that, but what ever, and the ever present bottle opener incorporated into the money clip. I don't recall opening a press cap bottle in 30-40 years, but everything seems to come with one.

• Thanks 1

On 12/23/2020 at 11:04 AM, LostinTexas said:

Yes to all. Money/pocket clip is built into the back face, maybe pic #4?, plenty beefy and easy to use. I folded my bill into 1/3 size for the maiden voyage, and it seems to be just right. The faces are tied together with the cord. No more annoying than trying to adjust laces on a pair of shoes the first time, and once done it's done. There is a metal cover for the cord on the bottom where the cards slide in to protect it from the retaining tab. The cord once hooked surrounds the card stack. Seems top shelf for retention, and time will tell how durable.

According to Trayvax, this is the one that started it all, and is their best seller. I see why. There is a hole to clip items, or a retaining cord on the edge, a pry bar. not sure about that, but what ever, and the ever present bottle opener incorporated into the money clip. I don't recall opening a press cap bottle in 30-40 years, but everything seems to come with one.

Based upon this recommendation, I bought one of these.  I like it a lot, and have retired my old tri-fold nylon rigger's wallet.  It is a great design.  It fits in the "cell phone" pocket of the 5.11 pants I wear almost universally, and that smart phones don't fit into.  I customized the paracord lanyard.

The only downside is that my organizational challenge coin now has no home.  Guess I'll have to think on that.

trayvax.jpeg

Edited by Gunboat1
  • Like 3

52 minutes ago, Gunboat1 said:

Based upon this recommendation, I bought one of these.  I like it a lot, and have retired my old tri-fold nylon rigger's wallet.  It is a great design.  It fits in the "cell phone" pocket of the 5.11 pants I wear almost universally, and that smart phones don't fit into.  I customized the paracord lanyard.

The only downside is that my organizational challenge coin now has no home.  Guess I'll have to think on that.

How big a PITA was it getting standard size cord through the holes? Looks like a good job, and glad you like the wallet.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Gunboat1 said:

trayvax.jpeg

While that wouldn't fit my needs, that's still a really cool setup you have there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/14/2020 at 1:27 PM, Fnfalman said:

I’ve been thinking about an RFID proof wallet so that the thieves can’t steal info from your credit cards. 

FYI and you probably know this - while it IS possible to steal your CC info with an RFID scanner, you will most likely know the thief is doing it because they would have to be right behind you and holding the scanner up against your ass.

• Haha 2