Random Posting

Eric

10 hours ago, janice6 said:

"Iso-HEET is a form of HEET that removes water and cleans fuel injectors. This is sometimes referred to as “isopropyl” because of its main ingredient."

Remember, this was 40 or more years ago!  I believe back then HEET was a blend of Alcohol and Ether.  I don't know how much of either.  Today's Heet is not the same at all.

It was probably acetone that was the secondary ingredient. The thing about alchol is that it does not mix with petrolium products. You have to have the acetone to carry the alcohol molecules and then it will mix with your fuel.  But I don't recall ever seeing anyone use HEET in diesel fuel even back in the 80s. I dont doubt that some did. I just never saw it. Power Service was crap, but it was what most truckers used as far as comercial additives go.

Today I use Stanodyne fuel additives. Not to prevent gelling, that is not a much of a problem in Central Texas. I use it mainly to make up for all the things that the EPA has done to screw up diesel fuel.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, jmohme said:

It was probably acetone that was the secondary ingredient. The thing about alchol is that it does not mix with petrolium products. You have to have the acetone to carry the alcohol molecules and then it will mix with your fuel.  But I don't recall ever seeing anyone use HEET in diesel fuel even back in the 80s. I dont doubt that some did. I just never saw it. Power Service was crap, but it was what most truckers used as far as comercial additives go.

Today I use Stanodyne fuel additives. Not to prevent gelling, that is not a much of a problem in Central Texas. I use it mainly to make up for all the things that the EPA has done to screw up diesel fuel.

https://www.jatonkam35s.com/DeuceTechnicalManuals/Diesel_fuel_additive_test.pdf

I pretty much just stay local, so I also rarely use any anti-gel additives, as it doesn't get much below freezing here anyway.  I do keep a bottle on hand though.

I use the Opti-lube XL (not in the study above as it wasn't out yet) in my diesels because, like you said, the EPA keeps making fuel quality worse.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Cougar_ml said:

https://www.jatonkam35s.com/DeuceTechnicalManuals/Diesel_fuel_additive_test.pdf

I pretty much just stay local, so I also rarely use any anti-gel additives, as it doesn't get much below freezing here anyway.  I do keep a bottle on hand though.

I use the Opti-lube XL (not in the study above as it wasn't out yet) in my diesels because, like you said, the EPA keeps making fuel quality worse.

Interesting. I had not heard of any of the top 4, but then I have been out of the industry since 2011.

Where do you get the Opti Lube XL. I might give it a try.  The Stanodyne gave me a noticeble feel of improved performance an a measurable increase in fuel economy. Almost 2mpg.  The main reason I use it though is to add lubricity to the so called "clean" fuel we are forced to use.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jmohme said:

Interesting. I had not heard of any of the top 4, but then I have been out of the industry since 2011.

Where do you get the Opti Lube XL. I might give it a try.  The Stanodyne gave me a noticeble feel of improved performance an a measurable increase in fuel economy. Almost 2mpg.  The main reason I use it though is to add lubricity to the so called "clean" fuel we are forced to use.

That study was actually from 2007.

the Optilube products are available on amazon.  I buy it by the gallon with a pump, though can be bought a few dollars cheaper without the pump (pump is 1oz per stroke)

https://www.amazon.com/Opti-Lube-Xtreme-Lubricant-Diesel-Additive/dp/B00MAU9PV8/ref=sr_1_2?dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.4qgjofaEabZysWHcNTcpPteU37LS0bguUz3ovzsyHVzJVKAtJwSHXSojC5-PodW5P9NJflDGLYqbG2hgqlmgBQpO1PsdM4D3HgFx9fRpdebaTIeSVIsmXVOvCUWdGgGUWAreUKAVW25oDaeRlj_XrQ.Y-fD3X6t05nPTkBzkiHRHVMw2LiSlY56tAXMhGzGp4c&dib_tag=se&keywords=optilube+xl&qid=1711469429&sr=8-2

I use it to refill dosing bottles I keep in each vehicle.  It was cheaper to buy a 12 pack of the bottles than to buy a couple of individual ones, and I gave half the bottles away to friends with similar trucks to mine.  Individual bottles are about $10-12 each; a 12 pack is $41.  

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y2FDYZW/ref=twister_B0716G5LWK?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Cougar_ml said:

That study was actually from 2007.

the Optilube products are available on amazon.  I buy it by the gallon with a pump, though can be bought a few dollars cheaper without the pump (pump is 1oz per stroke)

https://www.amazon.com/Opti-Lube-Xtreme-Lubricant-Diesel-Additive/dp/B00MAU9PV8/ref=sr_1_2?dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.4qgjofaEabZysWHcNTcpPteU37LS0bguUz3ovzsyHVzJVKAtJwSHXSojC5-PodW5P9NJflDGLYqbG2hgqlmgBQpO1PsdM4D3HgFx9fRpdebaTIeSVIsmXVOvCUWdGgGUWAreUKAVW25oDaeRlj_XrQ.Y-fD3X6t05nPTkBzkiHRHVMw2LiSlY56tAXMhGzGp4c&dib_tag=se&keywords=optilube+xl&qid=1711469429&sr=8-2

I use it to refill dosing bottles I keep in each vehicle.  It was cheaper to buy a 12 pack of the bottles than to buy a couple of individual ones, and I gave half the bottles away to friends with similar trucks to mine.  Individual bottles are about $10-12 each; a 12 pack is $41.  

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y2FDYZW/ref=twister_B0716G5LWK?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I should have know that Amazon would have it.  

Thank You. I will give it a try.

• Like 1

I first learned about the company while working at a small engine shop back in 2001.  They sold a 100-1 two stroke mix, and bottles of small engine oil where they would double the manufacturer's warranty if you used their oil.  I never saw or heard of any issues or claims with any of their products while working at that shop.  

They are also here in Washington where I live, so that helps a little as well.

• Like 1

Stinking Nanny State.

I don’t have an Amazon account. I use my wife’s if I really need to use it. I forgot that she can see anything I search for. Now I get to explain why I was searching for Suture Kits. 

• Haha 3