Random Posting

Eric

The ups and downs of being a teacher

I had had a really tough day with one of my students that was just challenging, we'll say. And afterwards, you know, we had a heart to heart, and he said, "You know, miss, you are my favorite teacher." And before I could stop myself, I said, "Dear God, what is it like for the teachers that you don't like?"

I had one student tell another student to consume a satchel of Richards, which is impolite. But it also did lead to me recommending them for AP Language the next year because, I mean, you've got to encourage that kind of control of the English language.

On Fridays, before students left for the weekend, I would tell them not to make a life, take a life, and not get arrested. And one day, one of my students looked at me and said, "You know what, miss? We love you, but you can't be infringing on our rights like that."

I once accidentally wore two different shoes to work. And after one of my students informed me that today's not the day I get to give life advice, another student informed me that if I was part of a gang, I would be called "Andy Two Shoes."

I had a student pull out a loaf of bread, a jar of jelly, and a jar of peanut butter, and start making himself peanut butter and jelly sandwiches at 8:00 in the morning while I was teaching. And I said, "What are you doing?" And he said, "I'm making breakfast. Did you want some?" "Yes, please."

One of the girls in my class asked me where the male strip club was. And I said, "Even if I did know, would you want to know that I know?"

I was giving my students a little bit of context before we started reading 'Animal Farm'. So I put up a picture of Joseph Stalin and one of my students yelled, "Smash." And I explained that maybe we should not 'smash' evil dictators and she said, "It's okay, I'll still take that mustache ride."

One day I was walking between classes and I saw a group of boys huddled together, all had something between their fingers. And somebody had a lighter in the center. And I'm like, 'In the broadest of daylights, really?' So I went up and I said, "Hey, you guys," and they turned around, and every single one of them was holding a dry spaghetti noodle between their fingers.

I was asking some seniors if they remembered Romeo and Juliet, and one of the kids said, "Yeah, isn't that who died on the Titanic?" Yes.

When we finished reading Lord Of The Flies, I served my students some pulled pork that I had made myself, and I was really excited to share it with them. And after they had eaten it, one of my students came up and said, "Wow, miss, I'm really impressed." And I was like, "Why?" And he said, "You just seem the type that wouldn't pepper your eggs because it gets too spicy. But this is good."

I was trying to get them to give me examples of words that weren't swear words, but not really phrases or words that we would use in a classroom environment. One of my students said, "Well, blue waffle." And I said, "What's that?" They said "Google it." And I did.

My students were reading choice books, that means they get to choose what they read at the beginning of class. One of my students finished her reading time and said, "Man, this book is leaving me swampy," and I said, "What book are you reading?" She said, "Verity". I did not ask what swampy meant.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

St. Louis has a bunch of modern paddle wheelers that cruise up and down the river front.

They used to have a race once a year between stand-ins for the Natchez and Robert E Lee celebrating the famous steamboat race of 1870.

Not sure if they still do it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One of the American Queen cruise line till they fell into bankruptcy.   American Queen Voyages has been unable to rebound from the effects of the pandemic. 

Although the American Queen's stern paddlewheel is indeed powered by a steam engine, her secondary propulsion, in case of an emergency and for maneuverability around tight areas where the paddle wheel can not navigate, comes from a set of diesel-electric propellers known as Z-drives on either side of the sternwheel.

image.jpeg.9caae58f5e8be7865586ddf724781d1b.jpeg

• Like 4