The official solar eclipse thread

TBO

A solar eclipse is when the Sun passes between the Earth and the Moon.

I have had more than one otherwise intelligent adult tell me that .

These are the same people that believe that if the Earth stops spinning, we'll all float away into outer space.

They used to teach basic science in public schools.

• Haha 4
  • Sad 2

6 hours ago, Ramjet38 said:

I will be on I-44 between Tulsa, and Springfield, Mo. during the eclipse.  If I leave early enough I could be in Springfield although it won't be epicenter it should have good coverage.

West Plains is as close to the Lake as it gets, 2 hours. I'm glad I made the trip to Ashland in 2017 to see that one. Think I'm going have to wait for the next one. Took 6 hours to drive 80 miles home.

• Like 2

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Silentpoet said:

I don't get why people are freaking out over a 30 year old car.

Mistubishi-eclipse-first-generation-university-mitsubishi.jpg

I used to work at a Plymouth-Jeep-Eagle dealership that sold the Eagle version of those, back in the early nineties. I discovered that if you repeatedly turned the lights on & off rapidly, the two headlights would get out of sync and make them open and close independent of each other. It bugged the hell out of my manager when I would do that, but I thought it looked funny.

FWIW, the Eagle version was the Talon. Maybe people are afraid of Talons in the Eclipse. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Eric said:

I used to work at a Plymouth-Jeep-Eagle dealership that sold the Eagle version of those, back in the early nineties. I discovered that if you repeatedly turned the lights on & off rapidly, the two headlights would get out of sync and make them open and close independent of each other. It bugged the hell out of my manager when I would do that, but I thought it looked funny.

FWIW, the Eagle version was the Talon. Maybe people are afraid of Talons in the Eclipse. 

What about the plymouth Laser.

• Like 2

• Administrators
7 minutes ago, Silentpoet said:

What about the plymouth Laser.

We sold those too. The Laser RS was turbocharged, but only FWD and torque-steer was a problem. The Eagle Talon was turbo and AWD. It had 195HP, which doesn't sound like a bunch by today's standards, but it wasn't too shabby back then and it was a small car. They were fun to drive.

But, I suspect you were referring to the Eclipse. In the case of Lasers, I'm not saying that aliens would be involved, but aliens would be involved. 

• Like 5

The forecast for my location is 97% total.

I'm going to march up and down the road, tiki-torch in hand, wearing my racoon hat and some facepaint smeared across my mug.

My family expects something like that; the neighbors don't.

WOOOOOOO!!!
  • Haha 6

• Administrators

In the spring of 1982, there was a celestial event where all the planets lined up on the same side of the sun or something. Whatever it was, it was a really rare event and all the moonbats of the day were convinced that the world would end when it happened.

I was in eighth grade at the time. I remember that the event was supposed to happen at 10:15am. My third period class was science, which started at 9:55am. When the tardy bell rang, to our surprise, the teacher told us to just relax and talk among ourselves. He said that if the world was about to end, he didn't see much point starting an assignment. He gave it until 10:20am and when the world hadn't ended, he called the class to order and we got on with our lesson for the day.

That was the same teacher that told us one day that if everyone in China got up on an 18" high chair and jumped off simultaneously, the impact would destroy the world. :supergrin: He was a fun teacher.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

In may of 1984 there was a partial eclipse visible in Memphis. Mostly no one noticed but there was a park in German Town full of loonies dressed like the Middle Ages and got drunk on some sort of mede to ward off evil or something. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

If you believe David Weber *, the Moon was replaced by Dahak, the gigantic space ship super computer, 50,000 years ago.

If you don't read David Weber, you should.

:biggrin:

* see Mutineers' Moon

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My wife watches crime shows. There is a lot of crossover with conspiracy theory shows. The Flat Earthers are going nuts tonight with all sorts of theories about how the eclipse proves a flat earth.

And yes, your taxes paid to educate them and are probably paying to keep them clothed and fed.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, tous said:

If you believe David Weber *, the Moon was replaced by Dahak, the gigantic space ship super computer, 50,000 years ago.

If you don't read David Weber, you should.

:biggrin:

* see Mutineers' Moon

Xenu says that's all balderdash...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

18 hours ago, El Spicoli said:

Am I the only one....that stopped singing along every time they play a Springsteen song?

Am I the only one that never liked Springsteen?  Once had a girlfriend who confided in me she idolized BS.  I immediately dumped her.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Eric said:

And here is Springsteen's version. It is a VERY different song. MMEB kicked his ass on this one.

That shite sounds like he just came home from a Grateful Dead concert and tried to write…something… while still stoned.  I’m amazed MM salvaged a decent song out it.  Seriously amazed.

• Like 1

• Administrators
7 minutes ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

That shite sounds like he just came home from a Grateful Dead concert and tried to write…something… while still stoned.  I’m amazed MM salvaged a decent song out it.  Seriously amazed.

Yeah, it is pretty bad. 

I was going to drive to my parents’ place in Cleveland for the eclipse, but I have a head full of snot and I feel like crap.  Also, they are going to have cloud cover move in an hour before the eclipse and it won’t move out til an hour afterward, so I’m staying home where it will be sunny and I won’t share my germs with the old folks.  I think we’re getting 96% anyway.  

• Like 1