Supermarket shopping

DAKA

MrsDaka and I share the cooking... I usually find a recipe to try and I do the shopping...mostly....

This time she was out and said she'd do the shopping,  I texted "the list"...one item was OREOS, ...........she called....Do you know that there are 10 KINDS OF OREOS !!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

46 minutes ago, DAKA said:

MrsDaka and I share the cooking... I usually find a recipe to try and I do the shopping...mostly....

This time she was out and said she'd do the shopping,  I texted "the list"...one item was OREOS, ...........she called....Do you know that there are 10 KINDS OF OREOS !!

More shelf space Oreos takes the less there is for competing snacks. 

• Like 4

My wife prefers that I stay out of the kitchen, and for very good reason. My phylosiphy on cooking is "If you cant nuke it, #@!* it!"

I do however do most of the shopping, She makes the list and I do the leg work. This is the primary reason that I have a smart stupid phone.  There is almost always something on the list that I have no idea what it is, so when I think I have located it, I text her a picture before bringing home the wrong stuff. :-)

And just what is wrong with the original Oreos?

• Haha 3

I’ve worked with Russians who came here with help from the State Department and the Tolstoy Foundation. There were high interest people we wanted out of the Soviet Union.

I have literally seen them brought to tears in a grocery store. Home Depot was a real mind bender.

IMG_5170.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Batesmotel said:

I’ve worked with Russians who came here with help from the State Department and the Tolstoy Foundation. There were high interest people we wanted out of the Soviet Union.

I have literally seen them brought to tears in a grocery store. Home Depot was a real mind bender.

IMG_5170.jpeg

I have heard that from other people.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

The mint oreos are the best oreos.  And I've heard of people from eastern europe who didn't believe our grocery stores were real; they thought it was a setup and they would ask to be taken to other stores in other places to see if they were all the same.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Batesmotel said:

IMG_5170.jpeg

I think it was Nikita Khrushchev once was taken to a grocery store and said it was staged 'cause no store would have all that stuff. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Dukenukem said:

The mint oreos are the best oreos.  And I've heard of people from eastern europe who didn't believe our grocery stores were real; they thought it was a setup and they would ask to be taken to other stores in other places to see if they were all the same.

Larry Miller was a big car dealer and owner of the Utah Jazz. He had a lot of business dealings in the east. He helped one family come to Salt Lake City for cancer treatments at the Huntsman Cancer Institute. The family came with their Soviet handler.

After getting the family settled in he took a few members and the handler to a local grocery store. They all thought it was staged just for them.

Larry said he would take them to another store but the handler wasn’t convinced it wouldn’t be another staged store. Do he told them to just give him directions to anywhere and he would drive to any store they found.

They drive about 15 miles west then 10 miles south to a grocery store in a small town. It was stocked just like the one in the city. Even the handler was floored.

Taking them to a gun store was an interesting experience as well. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Batesmotel said:

IMG_5170.jpeg

Paging Nestor to the white courtesy phone. :whistling:

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

My daughter worked in Alaska's bush. Some of the children (even middle-school aged) had never been off of the 2mi X 5mi island. They had a couple "stores". (which mostly looked like the insides of dumpsters)

Competing high school sports involved plane rides to other villages.

My daughter liked watching the kids reaction to walmart in Anchorage.....

totally overwhelmed with awe and speechless. It, seriously, scared many. Some wouldn't even go in the store: too much overload.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, Huaco Kid said:

My daughter worked in Alaska's bush. Some of the children (even middle-school aged) had never been off of the 2mi X 5mi island. They had a couple "stores". (which mostly looked like the insides of dumpsters)

Competing high school sports involved plane rides to other villages.

My daughter liked watching the kids reaction to walmart in Anchorage.....

totally overwhelmed with awe and speechless. It, seriously, scared many. Some wouldn't even go in the store: too much overload.

Back when I was in school, my mother was coach for, and both sister participated in a competition called Envirothon.  They went to nationals one year.

I think it was in Pennsylvania that year (or a nearby state to that.)  One of the presentations involved talking about corn.  It included things like corn silk.

The team from Alaska had to ask the presenter what corn silk was.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

My wife and I both go shopping together. I drive the car, push the cart, unload the cart and load the stuff into the car. I'm the chauffeur/armed guard and help unload the car when we get home.  Too many unsavory characters in and around the shopping centers.  tom. :cowboy2:

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

23 hours ago, Batesmotel said:

IMG_5170.jpeg

If “the powers that be” succeed the United States will achieve Obama’s goal of becoming more like the rest of the world. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

10 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

If “the powers that be” succeed the United States will achieve Obama’s goal of becoming more like the rest of the world. 

It’s somehow unfair for us to succeed where others fail again and again. If they would do it our way maybe things would be different for them. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Batesmotel said:

It’s somehow unfair for us to succeed where others fail again and again. If they would do it our way maybe things would be different for them. 

Air Traffic Control and commercial airplane cockpits need to look like the(se) United States. So say DEI (aka DIE) fans. In that spirit, and with the Super Bowl freshly behind us, I suggest that professional sports teams should also look like the(se) United States. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/13/2024 at 6:59 PM, railfancwb said:

The Audacity of a Republic.  They prefer Venezuela where the govt. Controls everything and you shop at stores with barren shelves.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1