Damn no shows

El Spicoli

Just about to head into gym and phone rings.  Security company guy calls and asks what I am doing (always a bad sign).  A unarmed security guard on a construction site is a no show and no call.  Can I go fill in?  Sure.  Security Company is stuck paying double now and they look like morons to the client.

If you don't wanna work, just don't take the job.

Don't know how you Small Business Owners do it.  It is like the work force is made up of prospective buyers on FB marketplace.  No wonder the Chinese and Indians are kicking our ass.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

I continue to post this or similar meme because it continues to be relevant. Honestly, though, I have no ideas about how or if we recover. 

IMG_6229.jpeg

Blind hog syndrome. Tail-Gunner Joe was right that we were lousy with commies, but he had some significant issues. 

OR, more properly,

Tail-Gunner Joe had some significant issues, but he was right that we were lousy with commies.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, El Spicoli said:

Just about to head into gym and phone rings.  Security company guy calls and asks what I am doing (always a bad sign).  A unarmed security guard on a construction site is a no show and no call.  Can I go fill in?  Sure.  Security Company is stuck paying double now and they look like morons to the client.

Don't know how you Small Business Owners do it.  It is like the work force is made up of prospective buyers on FB marketplace.  No wonder the Chinese and Indians are kicking our ass.

Denny's midnight crew does this all the time.  I asked what happened to, no work, no job?  They just shrugged....

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

And some of the ones that do show think that an 8:00 start means try to get clocked in by 8, then have some coffee and shoot the **** with others of limited work ethic before doing what they where hired to do.   :angryfire:

I am so glad that I have a good crew and don't have to deal with that kind of crap anymore.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Today I got a call from a friend. He is a chef not a caterer. He got called last minute to help cater a wedding. He wanted me to help.

The caterer they hired is a no show. They found out right after the ceremony when the refreshments didn’t arrive. There is supposed to be dinner in three hours at a different church with a big dining hall.

Apparently the caterer is in Las Vegas doing pretty good at a Texas Hold-Em tournament and just blew off the gig.

The people responsible for preparing the food did their job but without the actual caterer, no one knew where the food was or who was supposed to transport it, setup or serve. So my friend is trying to find a crew.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 3

28 minutes ago, Valmet said:

Unfortunately that kind of things is becoming more and more common these days 😒

It has not been at all uncommon for far too long of a time. But yes, especially since Covid, it has become worse.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Huaco Kid said:

The original guy will show up very late, and half drunk and expecting to work.

Keep any eye out.

About to be relieved in a bit and he ain't shown up.  I am gonna assume he was terminated.  I did have 3 suspicious vehicles and spoke to the driver and passenger in one of them.  They didn't look like thieves but you never know.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, gwalchmai said:

Blind hog syndrome. Tail-Gunner Joe was right that we were lousy with commies, but he had some significant issues. 

OR, more properly,

Tail-Gunner Joe had some significant issues, but he was right that we were lousy with commies.

Did he really have all those issues or was the swamp doing the same thing back then to him their doing to Trump.  We only know what the press put out so it's a good question.  We are only today realizing these dirty tricks go way back.   

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Batesmotel said:

Today I got a call from a friend. He is a chef not a caterer. He got called last minute to help cater a wedding. He wanted me to help.

The caterer they hired is a no show. They found out right after the ceremony when the refreshments didn’t arrive. There is supposed to be dinner in three hours at a different church with a big dining hall.

Apparently the caterer is in Las Vegas doing pretty good at a Texas Hold-Em tournament and just blew off the gig.

The people responsible for preparing the food did their job but without the actual caterer, no one knew where the food was or who was supposed to transport it, setup or serve. So my friend is trying to find a crew.

My mom called me one afternoon "We need help with dinner for lots of people."

I'm like "What?!?!?"

Company my sister worked for had the catering company back out three hours before a banquet celebrating something for the company. 

Sis and mom started calling around, put on a sit down dinner for 180 people in a few hours.

They mostly needed my truck to move things, but I helped wait tables too.

Some of the people were jerks. 

Company told my mom and sister afterward they would pay for the food, but that was it. Her boss had said "Find somebody, we'll pay double if they can make it happen."

A lot of my sister's friends were waitresses, they had helped because she called, but they still deserved to get paid.

I told sis "Next time get it in writing."

Some people are jerks.

They got paid in the end.

Double.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, ChuteTheMall said:

Concealed means concealed.  There should be no such thing as an unarmed security guard. :Alex:

A friend has been security and a “watchman”. A watchman just sits in a booth armed with only a phone to call the cops. Security should be armed. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I was scheduled to sit with 4 mechanic candidates last week while they took the aptitude test. The tests cost us something like $25 each. 2 of the 4 didn't show. The two that did show were scheduled to come the week before. I have another one Monday that was a no show last week. The HR chick doubts he's going to show from how he sounded on the phone. I've sat with roughly 7 people in the last year and had at least a dozen not show up.

• Sad 4

6 hours ago, El Spicoli said:

I know how you feel. I worked security after retiring from the Navy. I learned real quick not to trust any other coworkers who were not also retired military.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ChuteTheMall said:

Concealed means concealed.  There should be no such thing as an unarmed security guard. :Alex:

I agree with you but tell DPS that.  I only mentioned it because they hired me because I am retired LE and have my Lvl. 4 certification so they hired me at a much higher pay scale.  This gig really was really low on the threat level.  Now back in 89 when I worked for Bloomingdales for a short time in LP.  I always had a pistol on me when I got called out on an alarm.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ChuteTheMall said:

I left my handgun home earlier this week because I had a medical appointment which for all I knew would have me naked except for a backless gown. Didn’t get nearly that undressed but felt naked all day anyway. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, railfancwb said:

I left my handgun home earlier this week because I had a medical appointment which for all I knew would have me naked except for a backless gown. Didn’t get nearly that undressed but felt naked all day anyway. 

I hate to leave a weapon in the car. I goes into MrsDaka's handbag in the dr's office

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1