Pic of the Day

Eric

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 11/6/2023 at 3:18 PM, Eric said:

311578512_176924121550633_9025104738219992606_n.jpg

I was 6 years old when we moved into a turn of the century mansion with all its furnishings. We had an oval coffee table in the living room that was about 5 feet long and 18 inches deep.  The oval glass top was set into a cherry wood border. Under the glass top the wood interior was carved into a fairyland with characters from Aesop's fables, fairies, and assorted characters about 3 to 5 inchers high set into a fairyland background.  It was a thing of beauty.  When I got out of the Navy I found that my older sister had asked my father for it and she took it to Seattle.  I never saw it again.

• Like 3

• Administrators
9 minutes ago, LostinTexas said:

Panama Canal? I didn't think the Iowa would fit, and it nearly doesn't.

Wow. I looked it up. The locks on the Panama Canal are 110 feet wide and the USS Iowa is 108 feet wide. One foot of clearance on either side. Damn. The locks are 113 feet longer than the Iowa.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Eric said:

Wow. I looked it up. The locks on the Panama Canal are 110 feet wide and the USS Iowa is 108 feet wide. One foot of clearance on either side. Damn. The locks are 113 feet longer than the Iowa.

That is pretty close for comfort. I'll bet not many shipping lines will allow that close a tolerance. 

You do what you have to do.

Suck it in old girl, we gotta get skinny for this one.

• Like 3

• Administrators

Look at the boarding stairs needed just to reach the bottom of the Tu-114's own boarding stairs. This was why they had a problem getting Khrushchev out of his aircraft, when he first visited the US. We didn't have a tall enough set of boarding stairs.

They used to say that the Tu-114 was faster than a jet and twice as loud.

401170500_813884777413127_3896471660926720233_n.jpg

• Like 6