Pic of the Day

Eric

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators
7 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

When daughter and I were in New Orleans a few years ago we rode steam powered stern wheeler Natchez. Allowed to go into the engine room and watch the action. 

IMG_6132.jpeg

IMG_6131.jpeg

I bet that was a fun time. I’ve seen that boat, but from a distance. 

• Like 3

• Administrators
16 minutes ago, Batesmotel said:

I would love to see the boiler on her. I’ve been around steam locomotives. What got me the first time was the amount of heat they generated. 

The worst maritime accident in US history was caused by a boiler explosion on a paddlewheel Riverboat. If I get to tour the boiler area, I would just as soon it be when the boiler was cold. :greensupergrin:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Eric said:

The worst maritime accident in US history was caused by a boiler explosion on a paddlewheel Riverboat. If I get to tour the boiler area, I would just as soon it be when the boiler was cold. :greensupergrin:

The Sultana? IIRC that might have been a bomb. 

• Like 2

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, Batesmotel said:

The Sultana? IIRC that might have been a bomb. 

I believe it was just a poorly maintained boiler, on a ridiculously overloaded boat that led to the disaster. No way we will ever know for sure, I guess. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Eric said:

I believe it was just a poorly maintained boiler, on a ridiculously overloaded boat that led to the disaster. No way we will ever know for sure, I guess. 

Thats my understanding. Way overloaded returning troops home. To go through what they did and to die so close to home is heartbreaking. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

• Administrators
32 minutes ago, janice6 said:

Necessity is a mother!

That's what happens when you have soldiers with idle hands and spare parts lying around. Dangerous combination.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, janice6 said:

Brilliant!

And illegal.

I doubt that even the fascist Biden-troopers would prosecute someone for defacing one or two pennies like that , but I wouldn't put it past them.

I must confess, I have placed more than a few pennies and dimes on railroad tracks to get the squished result.

I shall await the FBI HRT raid that is surely coming.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, tous said:

And illegal.

I doubt that even the fascist Biden-troopers would prosecute someone for defacing one or two pennies like that , but I wouldn't put it past them.

I must confess, I have placed more than a few pennies and dimes on railroad tracks to get the squished result.

I shall await the FBI HRT raid that is surely coming.

"......

Not automatically.

US law specifically allows the destruction or mutilation of pennies under specific circumstances:

The prohibition [of altering 1 cent coins] shall not apply to the treatment of these coins for educational, amusement, novelty, jewelry, and similar purposes as long as the volumes treated and the nature of the treatment makes it clear that such treatment is not intended as a means by which to profit solely from the value of the metal content of the coins.

The prohibition…against the exportation, melting, or treatment of 5-cent and one-cent coins of the United States shall not apply to coins exported, melted, or treated incidental to the recycling of other materials so long as -

(1) Such 5-cent and one-cent coins were not added to the other materials for their metallurgical value;

(2) The volumes of the 5-cent coins and one-cent coins, relative to the volumes of the other materials recycled, makes it clear that the presence of such coins is merely incidental; and

(3) The separation of the 5-cent and one-cent coins from the other materials would be impracticable or cost prohibitive.

It is illegal to alter currency in a fraudulent manner, and it is illegal to melt down coins in quantity to sell their metal......", https://www.quora.com/Is-it-illegal-to-destroy-a-penny

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, janice6 said:

It is illegal to alter currency in a fraudulent manner, and it is illegal to melt down coins in quantity to sell their metal......

A tremendous volume of silver coins were melted in a relatively short time. So rapidly in fact that little or no effort was made to save out coins with significant numismatic value. This seemingly rare book on the subject was copyright 1983. 

IMG_6735.jpeg

• Like 3