Pic of the Day

Eric

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

58 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

And don’t you sometimes wish it still was. 

After living there I understood that There's often a "Texas way" that works well there. There are notable exceptions, like politicians, among others.

Auto insurance, registration, inspection stickers and so on? Born in MASS, I was used to the required twice a year inspection sticker and other ways residents are badly treated by the state. In TX you don't feel like every LEO you pass is up your butt. Have a crash and burn session, however, and you'd be amazed how fast TX DPS can write tickets for everything you let slide, now costing you more than a new Porsche!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DAKA said:

Drive with care and buy SINCLAIR !!

I remember that they sold inflatable, green dinosaurs at the gas stations.

My parents wouldn't buy us one.  :sigh:

Mom did dang near complete an entire 8-piece dining set, one dish at a time at gas stations.

The tumblers were free, I think.  I may still have a gas-station glass hiding in my cupboard.

It isn't as if they wear out.

If I recall, I think some of them sold encyclopedias as well.  One volume per fill up.

And Green or Plaid stamps.

:biggrin:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, tous said:

Mom did dang near complete an entire 8-piece dining set, one dish at a time at gas stations.

The tumblers were free, I think.  I may still have a gas-station glass hiding in my cupboard.

If I recall, I think some of them sold encyclopedias as well.  One volume per fill up.

All the varied premiums much more exciting than “reward points”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/1/2023 at 7:19 PM, tous said:

I burned so much gas in my commuting that my wife seriously asked me to stop bringing home glassware from Phillips 66.

Oddly enough, I found that the glasses "sagged" over the years. I know laboratory glassware did this but I never thought about the rough finish golden glasses from gas stations...............

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Administrators
15 minutes ago, janice6 said:

I burned so much gas in my commuting that my wife seriously asked me to stop bringing home glassware from Phillips 66.

Oddly enough, I found that the glasses "sagged" over the years. I know laboratory glassware did this but I never thought about the rough finish golden glasses from gas stations...............

Have you ever seen really old panes of glass? They tend to get thicker at the bottom and thinner at the top. Eventually the upper part of the pane will thin so much that a hole will open. Glass flows, but it flows really slowly.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Eric said:

Have you ever seen really old panes of glass? They tend to get thicker at the bottom and thinner at the top. Eventually the upper part of the pane will thin so much that a hole will open. Glass flows, but it flows really slowly.

Yes.  I agree.  I have repaired some stained glass windows with glass that was over 50 years old. It was warped out of plane also.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pizzaaguy said:

My dad would pull up to the pump and ask for, "Two dollars worth", for the '55 Chevy.

For the Coleman stove and lantern,we had to go to Amoco to get "white gas"...no lead.

That would be me, I'm that old

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Administrators

During a depth charge test in 1957, the resulting 300-foot-high water plume was struck by lightning. Naval Ordnance scientists said that there was no sound method of computing the extremely remote mathematical probability of such an occurrence.

398672889_874438247678100_1246000537178075152_n.jpg

• Like 4