Pic of the Day

Eric

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Eric said:

What did you think of the movie Excalibur?

That’s one I really didn’t like. I don’t really know why. I think it was something about the visuals. They were good but something just wasn’t right. The Lady in the Lake catching the sword bugged me somehow. And the story was plucked bit by bit from a lot of the stories. 

• Like 1

• Administrators
10 minutes ago, Batesmotel said:

That’s one I really didn’t like. I don’t really know why. I think it was something about the visuals. They were good but something just wasn’t right. The Lady in the Lake catching the sword bugged me somehow. And the story was plucked bit by bit from a lot of the stories. 

I love that movie. it wasn’t without its warts, but I enjoyed it.

Not really Arthurian I guess, but have you ever heard of a sci-fi novel called The High Crusade? It is probably my favorite sci-fi novel.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_High_Crusade

• Like 2

It is interesting and perhaps a good example of the difference between how men and women perceive things.

Based on only informal interviews over the years :

Men perceive the Arthurian legend as one of betrayal of a friend, almost a brother, as Guinevere runs off with Lancelot

Women perceive the Arthurian legend as one of unrequited true love satisfied as Guinevere runs off with Lancelot, her soul mate.

Women tend to forget, or ignore, that that relationship ultimately destroyed Arthur's kingdom, forced Lancelot to kill some of his fellow knights (they were guarding Guinevere's death by burning at the stake -- adultery was not taken lightly, especially by queens.)  Lancelot ended up a hermit, Guinevere a nun.

Nobody lived happily ever after.

:599c64bfb50b0_wavey1:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, tous said:

It is interesting and perhaps a good example of the difference between how men and women perceive things.

Men perceive the Arthurian legend as one of betrayal of a friend, almost a brother, as Guinevere runs off with Lancelot

Women perceive the Arthurian legend as one of unrequited true love satisfied as Guinevere runs off with Lancelot, her soul mate.

Women tend to forget, or ignore, that that relationship ultimately destroyed Arthur's kingdom, forced Lancelot to kill some of his fellow knights (they were guarding Guinevere's death by burning at the stake -- adultery was not taken lightly, especially by queens.)  Lancelot ended up a hermit, Guinevere a nun.

People also gloss over Captain Picard’s presence at that critical point in history. He clearly altered the timeline and did untold damage to the space-time continuum by his support of Arthur. 

• Haha 3

• Administrators

And while we are on the subject, are we really supposed to believe that with all the technological advancements mankind made by Captain Picard’s era, we still haven’t conquered Male Pattern Baldness? The man has an artificial heart, for God’s sake!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, Eric said:

And while we are on the subject, are we really supposed to believe that with all the technological advancements mankind made by Captain Picard’s era, we still haven’t conquered Male Pattern Baldness? The man has an artificial heart, for God’s sake!

Suspension of TNG Disbelief begins and ends with the Holodeck. Once they invented perfected that, no one would ever leave the building.

• Like 4

• Administrators
4 hours ago, Batesmotel said:

I have not. Thanks 

It isn't a literary masterpiece. It is just a light, fun romp. My father read it to my brothers and sister when I was seven or so and I've probably reread it myself thirty times, over the years. It's like a visit with an old friend.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Eric said:

So who wants it conquered? All the shaved male heads I see make me wonder. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

So who wants it conquered? All the shaved male heads I see make me wonder. 

I imagine most of those head shavers are making the best of a bad lot.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Eric said:

It isn't a literary masterpiece. It is just a light, fun romp. My father read it to my brothers and sister when I was seven or so and I've probably reread it myself thirty times, over the years. It's like a visit with an old friend.

Any more, a lot of my reading is like visiting old friends.

The literary equivalent of comfort food. 

• Like 7

On 10/8/2023 at 12:38 AM, tous said:

Ugh.  I viewed that triangle as a tragedy, and Guinevere was a spoiled, slutty, emotion-driven, utterly disloyal tw@.   She should have burned at the stake, tied back to back with Lancelot.  I just wanted more about Merlin, because he's the coolest character in the whole thing.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1