Amazon

DAKA

So convenient, BUT what is REALLY happening?

This morning I noticed the dish brush I use (OXO Good grips) was getting rather ratty looking...probably 3/4 months old, (replaceable head)

I ordered a new one (2 pack) from Amazon...same price I remember paying at (whatever retail place) Tax added and delivered "free"

So this $7 order will get here day after tomorrow....... 

How does Amazon do that ?

What happens when all the "stores" can't afford to stay open?

• Like 1

Not everybody gets all things from Amazon.

I know a lot of people that refuse to buy anything from them, but not sure there are enough of them to make a difference and keep retailers alive.

For myself, I do buy quite a bit from them, but mostly odd things that I cant find locally. Local is my first choice, but I might check amazon for their price. Most times it is inline with what I can get it for here, but when it is not I ask the retailer if they price match. Even if they can only come down a little, I will usually buy from them rather than the big A.

• Like 2

There are many who "Buying Local" is not an option, ie have to travel a distance think country living or living in inner cities where there are no Grocery stores or big "Box Stores" and only public transportation to use. For those it is convenient and, in many cases, less expensive. I do shop locally whenever I can but have many shopping opportunities in my area.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, VinD said:

There are many who "Buying Local" is not an option, ie have to travel a distance think country living or living in inner cities where there are no Grocery stores or big "Box Stores" and only public transportation to use. For those it is convenient and, in many cases, less expensive. I do shop locally whenever I can but have many shopping opportunities in my area.

Country living? That definitely applies to me. I buy a lot of photographic gear and will almost always drive an hour to Precision Camera in that **** hole city of Austin. I hate the drive, but want to support a retailer that supports its products  when needed.

The last time I drove to Precision the owner came over, introduced himself and shook my hand.  I don't even want to shake the hand of Mr Amazon

Amazon only for little things that I can get delivered to whatever venue I am working at when they are needed. That and oddball stuff that I cant find other places. 

My wife on the other hand sometimes gets multiple Amazon delivers a day. It is bad enough that I have considered buying a cardboard baler. Maybe I should look for one on Amazon. O.o

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

As many of you know, I recently bought a PC from an outfit called Geekom. They have an "Amazon store" (WTFTI). When the PC arrived the return address was "Geekom Amazon Store, Bessemer, AL". I guess they fulfill region orders from that warehouse. Maybe. Or it's just another way they're destroying America. :( 

• Like 2

Yesterday my father's lift recliner stopped working.  A quick look at it and it's either wires or remote that failed.

Ordered a new remote assembly and amazon had it to us that afternoon.  This is the first time we've ever gotten anything same day from them.

we're 20 miles from a big city.  The remote was only $15, and had to order another item to bring it up to the $25 minimum.  Delivered by someone in a smaller car.

I prefer not to order from them most of the time, and it wasn't through my account (I don't pay for Prime)

• Like 1

You're paying for that "free" delivery with your yearly membership. They make their markup.

You aren't strolling through the store and buying random items, just a special buy. Amazon has bee around long enough to not make much difference in brick retail. Sadly the brick retail is losing out to mega discount stores more than mail order.

Amazon is mostly for what I can't find here, which ain.t a lot, but staples and such are available. I'm lucky if the BIG A even ships in 7-10 days, so much for the Prime Membership.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Rellik said:

Us old ppl are not relevant to Amazon. The young ppl think it's cool, and I own stock. 😀

Thats funny because most of the people I know of that hate and won't use Amazon are younger people. Many are friends of my daughter and consider Bezos to be the devil and won't use a company he is associated with.

I just don't like what amazon is doing to the mom and pop stores.

• Like 1

Wal-Marts have done way more harm to small businesses than Amazon ever will.  Why you ask?  Because Amazon has partnered with small local businesses that sell their goods through Amazon. 

As far as Prime memberships go, 16 bucks a month is not just for free expedited shipping, it's also for some really good free movies available on Prime.  The membership pays for itself every month.  

• Like 1

Mom and Pop stores were doomed when the railroads arrived and brought Monkey-Wards mail-order catalogs to people who used to shop at the butcher shop, the bakery, and the green grocer but now visit the supermarket. Mail-order brides got replaced by lonely hearts clubs before online matchmakers.

A visit to the town market became a visit to the suburban shopping center which was torn down to build a shopping mall, but now is being torn down again for big box retailers.

Blaming just Amazon or Wal-mart for these changes is very short sighted. I never even heard of either of them much before Y2K and Al Gore's Internet.

Now excuse me, I have to go find a cobbler to resole these Chinese shoes.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, ChuteTheMall said:

Mom and Pop stores were doomed when the railroads arrived and brought Monkey-Wards mail-order catalogs to people who used to shop at the butcher shop, the bakery, and the green grocer but now visit the supermarket. Mail-order brides got replaced by lonely hearts clubs before online matchmakers.

A visit to the town market became a visit to the suburban shopping center which was torn down to build a shopping mall, but now is being torn down again for big box retailers.

Blaming just Amazon or Wal-mart for these changes is very short sighted. I never even heard of either of them much before Y2K and Al Gore's Internet.

Now excuse me, I have to go find a cobbler to resole these Chinese shoes.

Same thing about Office Max and Staples...no more Stationery stores..

• Like 1

Amazon Prime has spoiled me with fast shipping.  Usually I receive my goods within a day or two, and same day on the very rare occasion. Orders from other vendors sometimes take a week before they're even shipped.

With that said, I try to shop locally first.  But supply chain issues are making that more and more difficult.  Makes one wonder if the suppliers prioritize places like Amazon, which adds to the difficulties for smaller businesses.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Maser said:

Wal-Marts have done way more harm to small businesses than Amazon ever will.  Why you ask?  Because Amazon has partnered with small local businesses that sell their goods through Amazon. 

As far as Prime memberships go, 16 bucks a month is not just for free expedited shipping, it's also for some really good free movies available on Prime.  The membership pays for itself every month.  

Walmart is doing the same.  Go to their web site and look for something and you will find lots of other businesses listed as sources.

• Like 2

On 3/28/2023 at 9:28 AM, jmohme said:

Not everybody gets all things from Amazon.

I know a lot of people that refuse to buy anything from them, but not sure there are enough of them to make a difference and keep retailers alive.

For myself, I do buy quite a bit from them, but mostly odd things that I cant find locally. Local is my first choice, but I might check amazon for their price. Most times it is inline with what I can get it for here, but when it is not I ask the retailer if they price match. Even if they can only come down a little, I will usually buy from them rather than the big A.

When I ask around and the response is “We don’t stick that but we can order it for you” then I decide to order it myself. 

• Like 1

We went thru this with Montgomery Ward, then Sears, then Kmart, then Walmart, now Amazon, something else that does things better or more cheaply or with better customer service will eventually come along and compete with them, too.  At least as long as we have a measurably free market.  Amazon saves me gas and time for things I can’t get locally.  Bezos is the devil, but the local bookstore is too flamingly leftist for me to want to support them and ebooks on kindle are cheaper and money is tight.  And so am I, I guess.

• Like 6

My brother-in-law (3rd gen union. His dad owned a union shop. If it didn't have the 'bug' on it, dad made mom return it to the store.) says he has never been in a walmart. I believe him. I'd be sure he never amazon'ed either.

All "daily use" things, I buy locally (probably walmart). I buy a bunch of stuff from amazon, because shopping around, for days, for some stupid thing, is a waste of time.
  • Like 2

Amazon is not a deal anymore. EVERYTHING is more expensive. It's still a convenience, though.

Have you noticed that amazon "search" is totally worthless now? I don't know how much they pay to be at the top of the searches. I can search for suitcase wheel bearings, and get pages of beauty supplies and lingerie.
  • Like 3