Things That Usta...

Eric

I swear to god my dad took the spring for the screen door and soaked it in water for week to get it good and rusty then beat the hell out of it with a hammer. That damn thing made more noise. It made more noise than two skeletons screwing on a tin roof. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ChuteTheMall said:

Our refrigerator was called an icebox, the stereo was called a Victrola, and the sofa was called a Davenport.  Old people had their own language.

Icebox really was an ice box, at least for people without electricity. Mother’s parents had one until granddaddy died and grandmother moved from the farm to a nearby town. An iceman had a route on those rural roads, and signs were placed in a window showing how much ice was needed that day. 

3498603E-C2D2-4A9C-8650-6516F63BBDEB.jpeg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Swampfox762 said:

Damn!!!  Were all you people livin in my house??? 

I never saw any of ya, but I was gettin the same ass chewins as ya'll were!!!

Think there was “FenceNet” - parents talking across the fence or at church or wherever they met structuring the world of parenting. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Batesmotel said:

Getting caught on your knees in pants. You will get holes in the knees. I was working at the gas station at 5 years old. I could have pants covered in grease, oil, gas, paint, welding slag etc. But a hole in the knees was a mortal sin. 

And now the fashionistas pay extra for jeans with holes in the knees and elsewhere. 

• Sad 2

• Administrators
6 minutes ago, Batesmotel said:

Getting caught on your knees in pants. You will get holes in the knees. I was working at the gas station at 5 years old. I could have pants covered in grease, oil, gas, paint, welding slag etc. But a hole in the knees was a mortal sin. 

I miss cut-off jean shorts. Why isn't that still a thing?

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, Batesmotel said:

Went out with guys with perms. 

I don't think that I owned a store-bought pair of shorts, except swim trunks & gym shorts, until I joined the Army. Every summer, the worn out school jeans got the chop and I wore them all summer.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Eric said:

My mom's Kobayashi Maru when she was yelling at us was to ask, "Who do you think you are!?" She expected an answer and there was NO right answer. An ass-kicking always followed.

I can attest that "a stupid sonofabitch" is NOT the correct answer.

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, railfancwb said:

And now the fashionistas pay extra for jeans with holes in the knees and elsewhere. 

I saw a girl at the airport and her jeans, from the crotch down, were just the seams.  A seam going down the inside and outside of the legs. with the seam going around her ankles.

They were probably very expensive.

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Batesmotel said:

My friend once said, "Damn.  Another hole in the seat of my pants.  That's how you know I was born to be a boss,  because I always wear the ass out first."

And I said, "Wait.  What?  I always wear the knees out first...."

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Eric said:

Sitting too close to the TV was another ass chewing. In retrospect, those old TVs might actually have been dangerous to sit close to. 

Nope, that was yet another lie that parents told kids.  The worst thing that can happen sitting too close to the TV is your eyes will get tired.  Not ruined, just tired. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Eric said:

Sitting too close to the TV was another ass chewing. In retrospect, those old TVs might actually have been dangerous to sit close to. 

Nope, that was yet another lie that parents told kids.  The worst thing that can happen sitting too close to the TV is your eyes will get tired.  Not ruined, just tired. 

11 hours ago, Eric said:

On 1/31/2022 at 8:23 PM, Hook said:

I swear to god my dad took the spring for the screen door and soaked it in water for week to get it good and rusty then beat the hell out of it with a hammer. That damn thing made more noise. It made more noise than two skeletons screwing on a tin roof. 

Made it tough to sneak in when you got home late. :crylikeender:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Huaco Kid said:

I saw a girl at the airport and her jeans, from the crotch down, were just the seams.  A seam going down the inside and outside of the legs. with the seam going around her ankles.

They were probably very expensive.

As was she most likely.  :ack2:

12 hours ago, Walt Longmire said:

"Rough-housing" in the house.

Indeed sir, “if you have that much energy you can sweep the carport, basement, pull weeds, mow the yard (push mower), go help the neighbor”. We ran out of energy before they ran out of “suggestions”.  

• Haha 1

• Administrators

It wasn't really fair, but if you were carrying in a bag of groceries and the paper bag bottom gave out and dumped everything, it was automatically your fault and your ass. I used to hate paper grocery bags. Still do.

• Haha 2

On 1/31/2022 at 3:34 PM, Eric said:

You know, a lot of folks never locked their doors back then, but there has never been a sneak-thief or ninja stealthy enough to get past an old screendoor without everyone in the house knowing about it. Any of you ever try to sneak out of the house past a screendoor, after bedtime?

Many times. With impunity. They had ninja mats. I'm not sure who or what was more inneffective. Pretty hard to give a **** at this point.