CCW Badges

Eric

On 7/31/2021 at 12:02 AM, crockett said:

I don't care what businesses post, I don't look for it, I don't see it.

Post offices, court houses, schools, a few other government institutions - I don’t carry. The penalties for carrying and getting caught seem excessive related to the marginal safety carrying might provide.

Otherwise… it isn’t a gun free zone if I’m there.

There is a shopping center in the area with an interesting design. Has a center strolling area such as a purely enclosed mall, while most if not all shops also have parking lot entrances. The Bass Pro has signs at its doors into the strolling area reminding customers that the rest of the shopping center is supposedly gun free. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, railfancwb said:

Post offices, court houses, schools, a few other government institutions - I don’t carry. The penalties for carrying and getting caught seem excessive related to the marginal safety carrying might provide.

Otherwise… it isn’t a gun free zone if I’m there.

There is a shopping center in the area with an interesting design. Has a center strolling area such as a purely enclosed mall, while most if not all shops also have parking lot entrances. The Bass Pro has signs at its doors into the strolling area reminding customers that the rest of the shopping center is supposedly gun free. 

This reminds me. 

We had a reserve deputy that ran security at a local mall that was posted gun free. He told us that when we were off duty he would not let us carry inside "his building". This violated state law, a posted business did not apply to sworn LEO. Kid had a god complex.

He sent his goons to talk to me one time when I was in the mall and off duty with my wife. They wanted to know if I was carrying. I refused to answer and refused to stop to talk to them, they didn't know what to do with that.

One of my friends was an investor in the mall. Quick phone call after I left and that kid was begging to keep his job. I wasn't trying to get him fired, just wanted him to wise up and follow the law. Couple months later and the mall wasn't posted anymore. 

• Like 4

On 7/30/2021 at 7:28 PM, Eric said:

I was at a Chipotles restaurant eating dinner earlier and a guy walked in wearing khaki pants, a tucked in polo shirt and a black nylon duty belt, complete with a compact Glock, handcuff case, spare mags in a case and a flashlight. I assumed he was some sort of LEO. After he ordered, he stood near me, facing my direction. Near enough that I could see a badge clipped to his belt. I looked closely and saw that it was a ******* CCW badge. I am all for people exercising their rights, God knows, but it is hard to take someone seriously, when the nimrod is standing there with a loaded-out duty belt and a CCW badge clipped to it. In my opinion, that is someone I am going to watch very closely.

As I was finishing up, an actual LEO (One in a cop car, wearing a uniform) walked in and ordered. As I was leaving, I saw him watching the CCW ranger pretty hard.

If circumstances got even slightly out of hand, I could see it being the basis of a criminal impersonation charge of some sort.

• Like 1

I don't mind people open carrying because I figure the bad guys will be busy shooting at them first, instead of me... having said that, I do kind of figure anyone open carrying doesn't do much thinking about tactics... they claim they save a half second on the draw over concealed, but they've lost more time than that by making themselves the primary target...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

I don't mind people open carrying because I figure the bad guys will be busy shooting at them first, instead of me... having said that, I do kind of figure anyone open carrying doesn't do much thinking about tactics... they claim they save a half second on the draw over concealed, but they've lost more time than that by making themselves the primary target...

How many times did we see cases where an open carry gun owner got shot out of the blue by a bad guy?

I don't recall hearing about that or seeing it in the news, ever.

I think bad guys are cowards and avoid law enforcement or any obvious resistance.

An armed populace is a polite populace. If nobody knows that the populace is armed, by concealing it, this concept goes right out of the window.

I think the left has told us so many times over the years that guns are bad, that many of our own started agreeing on this aspect by hiding them.

If 60% of all civilians would be armed and carrying openly, we would get quickly accustomed to the new norm. People would think twice if they would start a road rage fight. And criminals wouldn't be around much longer.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Spats McGee said:

If circumstances got even slightly out of hand, I could see it being the basis of a criminal impersonation charge of some sort.

Seen it happen.   People buy these badges for whatever reason.   

The truth is it's not going to help you.  In fact, it may be confused for a police badge by a criminal.

The point of CCW is to be the error in the victim selection process.

Blend...look like everyone else...act like everyone else.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

Exactly Mrs. C, exactly.  I just don't see NO Reason, EVER to advertise you are carrying a gun.  We ain't got that **** in floriduh.  Keep your gun in your pants...or where ever..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crockett said:

How many times did we see cases where an open carry gun owner got shot out of the blue by a bad guy?

I don't recall hearing about that or seeing it in the news, ever.

I think bad guys are cowards and avoid law enforcement or any obvious resistance.

An armed populace is a polite populace. If nobody knows that the populace is armed, by concealing it, this concept goes right out of the window.

I think the left has told us so many times over the years that guns are bad, that many of our own started agreeing on this aspect by hiding them.

If 60% of all civilians would be armed and carrying openly, we would get quickly accustomed to the new norm. People would think twice if they would start a road rage fight. And criminals wouldn't be around much longer.

I prefer the assumption that everyone is armed, just concealing it... that should make for the same polite society...  Not that I really have any hope that most humans currently under the influence of the present culture are actually capable of making the choice to be polite... but it is a nice daydream, yes?  And it's not the actual bad guys I worry about so much (the ones using what brains they have to commit whatever their intended crime is for their own  benefit  - I'm not their preferred target, statistically) - I'm more concerned with the nutcases, the ones who have no rational reason for their actions, but are still functioning well enough to choose targets logically.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Swampfox762 said:

Exactly Mrs. C, exactly.  I just don't see NO Reason, EVER to advertise you are carrying a gun.  We ain't got that **** in floriduh.  Keep your gun in your pants...or where ever..

Thunderware....because when they draw the yellow chalk outline around your body...you want them to document your hand was down your pants.

• Haha 5

17 minutes ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

I prefer the assumption that everyone is armed, just concealing it... that should make for the same polite society...  Not that I really have any hope that most humans currently under the influence of the present culture are actually capable of making the choice to be polite... but it is a nice daydream, yes?  And it's not the actual bad guys I worry about so much (the ones using what brains they have to commit whatever their intended crime is for their own  benefit  - I'm not their preferred target, statistically) - I'm more concerned with the nutcases, the ones who have no rational reason for their actions, but are still functioning well enough to choose targets logically.  

WE... really need a Mrs. C thread.  I've told ya that before.  If people read my stupid ramblings in the Swampfox thread...I'd sure like to see your "ramblings" in the Mrs. C thread.  I'd create one for ya...but, that wouldn't be you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/31/2021 at 12:02 AM, crockett said:

I don't care what businesses post, I don't look for it, I don't see it.

And when I do, they get the disrespect they demand. I'm not a boycotter really, except for Ford's. Going woke has it's limits. It's like having a dog.  You love them, but sometimes you gotta rub their nose in ****. Meh. 

• Like 2

Damn I’m sad to hear so many of you are against open carry. Wearing a ccw badge is stupid and carrying cuffs is goofy. Trying to be a wannabe cop is just dumb. We have open carry here and many do it and I’m glad they are exercising their right to do so. I carry owb and most of the time my shirt covers my gun. If it does show I don’t care. I use a level two retention holster not some Velcro crap. This whole oh the bad guy sees your gun he’s coming for you first is bullshit in my opinion. 

• Like 2

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, Hook said:

Damn I’m sad to hear so many of you are against open carry. Wearing a ccw badge is stupid and carrying cuffs is goofy. Trying to be a wannabe cop is just dumb. We have open carry here and many do it and I’m glad they are exercising their right to do so. I carry owb and most of the time my shirt covers my gun. If it does show I don’t care. I use a level two retention holster not some Velcro crap. This whole oh the bad guy sees your gun he’s coming for you first is bullshit in my opinion. 

I’m not against open carry, although I think it is a bad move tactically, in many situations. Personally, I waste very little effort worrying about how other people carry. It is my choice and my ass, so I’ll do what I think is best. Most of the time, that means carrying concealed, for me. Your mileage may vary. 

I’ve gone to the range on a motorcycle a few times with an AR in a nylon soft case slung across my back. With the mag pouch compartments and general shape of the bag, it is pretty obvious what it is. That used to get me quite a few honks and friendly waves.  I wasn’t crazy about the attention, but on those days, I really wanted to ride. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Hook said:

I'm not against it - I think everyone has the right to determine how they will carry.  I just prefer concealed for the reasons I gave.  I wouldn't tell anyone they MUST carry concealed or not carry at all, because I'm not an authoritarian.  I just have personal preferences that I apply to me.  (And in the interest of full disclosure, on hot days while on the farm , I open carry - and then I conceal it when I leave my property and have to go "peopling."  (Somehow "adulting" and "peopling" have turned into words...I blame my kids for this).

• Like 4

There's an old expression.

The new cop wants everyone to know..he's a cop.

The old cop doesn't want anyone to know he's a cop.

I fall into the old spectrum.  

I don't advertise because i may not like what i get in return. 

I want you to think I'm just another Ned Flanders.

Okilly Dokilly: Ned Flanders-Band bekommt Auftritt bei den ...

• Like 5

22 hours ago, Eric said:

I’m not against open carry, although I think it is a bad move tactically, in many situations. Personally, I waste very little effort worrying about how other people carry. It is my choice and my ass, so I’ll do what I think is best. Most of the time, that means carrying concealed, for me. Your mileage may vary. 

I’ve gone to the range on a motorcycle a few times with an AR in a nylon soft case slung across my back. With the mag pouch compartments and general shape of the bag, it is pretty obvious what it is. That used to get me quite a few honks and friendly waves.  I wasn’t crazy about the attention, but on those days, I really wanted to ride. 

16 hours ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

I'm not against it - I think everyone has the right to determine how they will carry.  I just prefer concealed for the reasons I gave.  I wouldn't tell anyone they MUST carry concealed or not carry at all, because I'm not an authoritarian.  I just have personal preferences that I apply to me.  (And in the interest of full disclosure, on hot days while on the farm , I open carry - and then I conceal it when I leave my property and have to go "peopling."  (Somehow "adulting" and "peopling" have turned into words...I blame my kids for this).

I get what you both are saying I truly do. I respect both your guys and gals opinion  if I may call you a gal Mrs. C no disrespect meant. I just get a little sad or irritated when people get so down on open carry. I still believe that the bad guy is going to look at an open carrier and have seconds thoughts of engaging that individual or even following through with their ill intentions. Am I wrong hell maybe so it sure wouldn’t be the first time.