Picked up some moonshine today

Pisco

i heard that whiskey called  Climax  from that dude who went legal  on the tv show moonshiners  is pretty good  .  i dont drink but i have a sip now and again , mostly when i got sore throat

2 hours ago, Pisco said:

On vacation here in the Smokies. Sevierville, Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg are complete tourist traps now. I’d rather vacation on the NC side next time.

E841E1C6-4B3F-406D-929C-5DA64085E788.thumb.jpeg.631b05f06660fe9489106c8698eec261.jpeg

50 Proof.  In Appalachia I believe that would be used as a breakfast drink, like Orange juice. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ASH said:

i heard that whiskey called  Climax  from that dude who went legal  on the tv show moonshiners  is pretty good  .  i dont drink but i have a sip now and again , mostly when i got sore throat

I had moonshine from the hills of West VA and it rejected my body.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

46 minutes ago, G19 DB said:

Is it delicious?  :cheers:

I bet it is.  In the old days it wasn't uncommon to have moonshine with flavours and Apple pie was common. So was peach.

Some people like it clear. Personally I like some second from the top after you smack the jar on the Palm of your hand. That will creates bubbles that will indicate to a trained eye the proof along with a slight blue color.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Historian said:

That will creates bubbles that will indicate to a trained eye the proof along with a slight blue color.

LOL.  Have you ever seen the Moonshiners "experts"  proof in this way?  They are guessing and lucky to get within 50 points of the actual.  Lots of things can affect bubble formation and size.

On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 1:46 PM, Maser said:

50 proof?!  That's not moonshine, that's big kid apple cider. 

I went to a party once that had punch made from pure grain alcohol from a scientific laboratory. I don't know how much alcohol was in the punch but it was a lot more than 50 proof and yet you could hardly even taste it. Everyone who was there that night ended up passing out on the floor in every room in the house, and in the morning I had to drive to the store with a horrible hangover and buy bottles of aspirin and soda pop for everyone to wash it down with.

It was worth driving there just to be able to open the bottle of aspirin and choke down 4 or 5 of them while waiting in line to pay.

Edited by Borg warner
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Peng said:

LOL.  Have you ever seen the Moonshiners "experts"  proof in this way?  They are guessing and lucky to get within 50 points of the actual.  Lots of things can affect bubble formation and size.

Yeah.  I've seen guys who claim they could do it.  Including my own grand father.  Never said it was perfectly accurate.   But they know more than I do.

• Like 1

seen some cherry berry in store  

there is this old dude who still moonshines  on cape fear river , but you got to know his brother first .  there is a old house he brother lives in  , i had heard that some big cat fish was down that way , so i  stopped one day he has  gate on fenced in cow pasture ,  old dudes also needs to know your family name , anyway you get him to open gate  , said when i get to the bottom near the cliffs   park go down path and see my brother , call out his name or might get shot lol . 

he had a old camper with all this camo ,  i told him i was just here to cat fish down alittle and would it be ok , said yep but be out before dark.  he gave me a wooden nickel to give to his brother if i come back to prove i was ok .    he had a cool set up said been living down there 40 years .  had a small waterfall and some streams before getting to river bank . had bout 5 recliners sitting out there said his old buddies come down and we party last weekend of the months  . lol  he hd plenty of shine but sincerely declined .      caught a 39 pound flathead cat  that day i fished there for 4 or 5 years . been about 10 years since i been back  i need to go see if they are still alive . caught many catfish i wanted to put in my big pond .

Edited by ASH
  • Like 1

I went to a party once that had punch made from pure grain alcohol from a scientific laboratory. I don't know how much alcohol was in the punch but it was a lot more than 50 proof and yet you could hardly even taste it. Everyone who was there that night ended up passing out on the floor in every room in the house, and in the morning I had to drive to the store with a horrible hangover and buy bottles of aspirin and soda pop for everyone to wash it down with.
It was worth driving there just to be able to open the bottle of aspirin and choke down 4 or 5 of them while waiting in line to pay.

Sounds like the infamous Everclear...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I drank a glass of Wray & Nephew rum (overproof) straight,  in Jamaica.  The locals made fun of me for ordering it,  but I sipped and drank the whole thing.

They sell it at the airport, but (surprise! (they don't tell you)),  you can't take it on the plane because it's more like gasoline than a drinking liquid.

HOOCH....

Buy yourself a bottle of Ever clear/Golden Grain 180. 

Get a bag of Jack Danial Oak Smoking chips.

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/jack-daniels-wood-smoking-chips?campid=71700000050238202&adgroupid=58700004915302623&device=c&keyword=92700044625835526&Channel=pla&gclid=Cj0KCQjwkK_qBRD8ARIsAOteukAESXCBLhkIdnskbgiwGDuwt8Q_iAg8CCtm-PNPdeMn0JG90xJFqMcaAmNgEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds#repChildCatid=623218

Dump the bottle into a gallon jug.  Fill the bottle back up with Bottled water, pour that into the gallon Jug.  Put 3-4 handfulls of the "Chips" into the gallon jug.  Add 3 Maraschino Cherries, and a teaspoon of vanilla.  Put in the sun for 7 days........Tell me what ya think.  Ya do need to filter thru a coffee filter when pouring it off.

Needless to say, there are many things you can do to enhance this receipt, and evolve it.  Let me know if any of you ever try this.  I make a gallon of this **** about once every 2 months!  Enjoy!!:rock:

Edited by Swampfox762
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Swampfox762 said:

I make a gallon of this **** about once every 2 months!  Enjoy!!:rock:

My nephew-in-law took an insulated gallon jug,  dumped in a bottle of gin,  two or three of the frozen concentrated lime-juice tubes,  and filled the rest with beer.

I had a small glass and it was actually much much better than I expected.

Then he proceeded to drink the whole thing while out in the blazing sun at the beach.

He had a bad night.

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Swampfox762 said:

HOOCH....

Buy yourself a bottle of Ever clear/Golden Grain 180. 

Get a bag of Jack Danial Oak Smoking chips.

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/jack-daniels-wood-smoking-chips?campid=71700000050238202&adgroupid=58700004915302623&device=c&keyword=92700044625835526&Channel=pla&gclid=Cj0KCQjwkK_qBRD8ARIsAOteukAESXCBLhkIdnskbgiwGDuwt8Q_iAg8CCtm-PNPdeMn0JG90xJFqMcaAmNgEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds#repChildCatid=623218

Dump the bottle into a gallon jug.  Fill the bottle back up with Bottled water, pour that into the gallon Jug.  Put 3-4 handfulls of the "Chips" into the gallon jug.  Add 3 Maraschino Cherries, and a teaspoon of vanilla.  Put in the sun for 7 days........Tell me what ya think.  Ya do need to filter thru a coffee filter when pouring it off.

Needless to say, there are many things you can do to enhance this receipt, and evolve it.  Let me know if any of you ever try this.  I make a gallon of this **** about once every 2 months!  Enjoy!!:rock:

I like the way you think. Some tips- be sure to use a glass jug. Ethanol can leach stuff out of plastic. Also, you can speed up the aging process by alternating between freezer and room temps. As the wood expands and contracts, it soaks up and lets out the alcohol, similar to what happens over years in a rickhouse.

• Like 2