I Don't Remember The Last Time...

Eric

11 hours ago, Rabbi said:

When I was a kid, this was a really big deal.  There was even a ritual.  You waved and he waved back.  

I do not remember the last time I saw a caboose on an in service train. 

ATSF_DK_Caboose.jpg

The last time I rode a train was in 1987.  It was actually an Army Guard Car. Me and two of my MPs were volunteered by our 1SG to do security on an equipment train retuning from NTC desert training in California to Ft Benning GA. We were told it was an actual Guard Car from WW2 era and that only three remained on active duty. The three MPs that rode it on the way out had MRE as the training hadn’t started. We were at NTC for 45 days. When it was time for us to return, the word went out to all mess sgts that any leftover food should be sent for the train crew. We were on the train for a week and we had enough food for a month. The car had a kitchen and we ate really good. We had a few crazy adventures along the way on what should have been a non-adventure. Plus added a week to our NTC. :patriot:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, janice6 said:

When I first started working at the company I retired from, the most amazing machine in the lab was a Marchant Figure Matic mechanical calculator.  It was amazing because it could perform square roots (If you had the time).  We spent many hours over a time using it.

I don't remember the last time I used a Mechanical Calculator

When I started working in the mid 70s, we had these Fridens...  Add, Subtract, Multiply and Divide, and they could do square roots - but took a long time.  At night we would set them up to take the square of something that doesn't resolve....   Then go for coffee.  They would still be working (noisily) after a half an hour or so...

Sometimes they would 'stick up' and not function well.  The fix was to lift it about an inch and drop it on the desk.  That usually fixed it.

friden.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Citra47 said:

We have to keep a wired phone all the time because our electric company sucks and the electricity goes out if someone sneezes driving by the property. We are on an old trunk line and the electric company has promised to put in new line for the last 28 years. Hasn't happened yet.

I used to keep one handy to diagnose phone issues.  The house phone had a habit of going out.  

3 hours ago, Hannie Caulder said:

I can't remember the last time I had ice cream.:icon_sad:

Tous keeps telling us Rabbi is bringing ice cream on Fridays.

• Like 1

• Administrators
58 minutes ago, Mike Papa said:

The last time I rode a train was in 1987.  It was actually an Army Guard Car. Me and two of my MPs were volunteered by our 1SG to do security on an equipment train retuning from NTC desert training in California to Ft Benning GA. We were told it was an actual Guard Car from WW2 era and that only three remained on active duty. The three MPs that rode it on the way out had MRE as the training hadn’t started. We were at NTC for 45 days. When it was time for us to return, the word went out to all mess sgts that any leftover food should be sent for the train crew. We were on the train for a week and we had enough food for a month. The car had a kitchen and we ate really good. We had a few crazy adventures along the way on what should have been a non-adventure. Plus added a week to our NTC. :patriot:

My company was at NTC in December of 1987. We were attached to the OpFor Reg. That was an interesting 3 weeks.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Eric said:

My company was at NTC in December of 1987. We were attached to the OpFor Reg. That was an interesting 3 weeks.

I know I was at NTC on 870807 because that was the day I had my SSG stripes pinned on. When I found out I was getting promoted, I asked to have them pinned on in the desert in the middle of nowhere. I was with HHC, 197th Infantry Brigade (M)(S). We had an MP Platoon for Headquarters Security. The Dollar Ninety Seven. :patriot:

• Like 2

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, Mike Papa said:

I know I was at NTC on 870807 because that was the day I had my SSG stripes pinned on. When I found out I was getting promoted, I asked to have them pinned on in the desert in the middle of nowhere. I was with HHC, 197th Infantry Brigade (M)(S). We had an MP Platoon for Headquarters Security. The Dollar Ninety Seven. :patriot:

I was in Delta Company, 3rd US Infantry Regiment, The Old Guard. Only my company went. We were too small a unit to do anything with, but attach to the OpFor. The Old Guard was a Light Infantry Battalion, but a good deal of our time was spent doing military funerals, other ceremonies, C&C functions and training, etc. there was never a time that the entire battalion, or even two companies could have been freed up for three weeks of training like that. Delta company is the one that got the nod.