I Don't Remember The Last Time...

Eric

On 9/22/2018 at 5:16 PM, tous said:

I can't remember the last time I saw a PEZ dispenser or the candies.

I had a Woody Woodpecker and a Popeye.

They are still made.  My son has a few.

17 hours ago, aksnowman said:

4E6A549E-240C-40A0-A83C-1850A830D504.thumb.jpeg.59eb70f1e5ffa55d3189787107ff6a38.jpegThis is my favorite it dispenses whole packs of the candy

Was gonna say either that's a big dispenser or you have very, very small hands.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Dutchman said:

I don't remember the last time I used a beeper; early to mid 1990's I think.

The same goes for having film developed; the last 35mm camera I purchased was in the early 1990's.

I still develop my own black and whites.  The film isn't as easy to get.  You really have to mail order.

And...i shoot a Rolleiflex...but normally only with a fedora on and scrap paper with the word PRESS written on it.

And there is an amazing ice cream shop in town that still makes malts!  We lost our last drug store counter lunch about six years ago.  They made amazing malts too.

Edited by Historian
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, SC Tiger said:

31fs+MGn1sL._SX425_.jpg

About a year ago.  I used one of these and a hand drill and the other type of hand drill to make four holes.   Finding auger bits isn't as easy as it used to be.

Also entertained my daughter with one and a drill press for about an hour one Saturday.  We made LOTS of holes in wood, plastic, even metal.   She's pretty young and found it a lot of fun.  :)

That was when i explained how cheese makers make Swiss cheese.  About a year later she told me I was pulling her leg.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, SC Tiger said:

31fs+MGn1sL._SX425_.jpg

I use my speed drill often.

Faster then hauling out the battery-powered drill.

I also have a brace and augers I use on occasion.

Yes, old.

I tend to screw screws with screw drivers, wrench nuts and bolts with wrenches.

:fred:

• Like 3

I found rare occasions where braces and old tapered reamers (2" to 3" dia.) greatly speeded up work.  My son finally broke down and bought a Brace also.  I buy old tools from thrift shops or ebay and recondition them for my use.  Hand planes, chisels, molding cutters, many great old tools that will finesse a piece of good wood work.

In wood work I find that the oldest hand tools make the job so much easier than many modern power tools.

The most useful tool I found for woodworking is the "card cabinet scraper". 

440px-Card_scraper.JPGhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Card_scraper

Once you learn how to sharpen them they work wonders.  They are what was used before the recent invention of sand paper.  They actually cut the wood surface and produce shavings, not dust.  No breathing dust and damn near eliminate allergy problems.

They truly cut the wood surface and don't clog the pores and grain up with wood dust.  They are remarkable fast and leave a glass smooth finish in no time at all.

They used to be made from pieces of worn out hand saws.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, janice6 said:

I found rare occasions where braces and old tapered reamers (2" to 3" dia.) greatly speeded up work.  My son finally broke down and bought a Brace also.  I buy old tools from thrift shops or ebay and recondition them for my use.  Hand planes, chisels, molding cutters, many great old tools that will finesse a piece of good wood work.

In wood work I find that the oldest hand tools make the job so much easier than many modern power tools.

The most useful tool I found for woodworking is the "card cabinet scraper". 

440px-Card_scraper.JPGhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Card_scraper

Once you learn how to sharpen them they work wonders.  They are what was used before the recent invention of sand paper.  They actually cut the wood surface and produce shavings, not dust.  No breathing dust and damn near eliminate allergy problems.

They truly cut the wood surface and don't clog the pores and grain up with wood dust.  They are remarkable fast and leave a glass smooth finish in no time at all.

They used to be made from pieces of worn out hand saws.

I saw an old carpenter's shop at the Foxfire Museum near Clayton, GA.  

The dude had a wall of wood planes.  All kinds widths, profiles, you name it.  And all sorts of other stuff. 

I honestly wondered if the stuff we have now is any better or not.

• Like 1

Power tools just allow you to turn good stock into junk much faster.

When I teach younf'un's metal working, they don't go near a Dremel tool until they have worked with files, stones and garnet paper.

The same with wood working.  Learn to go slowly and carefully first, fast comes later.

How any young'uns would recognize file chalk or a file card?

Yes, old.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, SC Tiger said:

I saw an old carpenter's shop at the Foxfire Museum near Clayton, GA.  

The dude had a wall of wood planes.  All kinds widths, profiles, you name it.  And all sorts of other stuff. 

I honestly wondered if the stuff we have now is any better or not.

When I started into Furniture making (I copied Arts and Crafts Stickley work from their catalogue)  One of the first things I did was buy a wood plane.  It was garbage throughout.  It didn't cut well, had no heft, and generally useless.  The cutters aren't even of decent quality steel like the old stuff.

I bought some 100 year old Bailey, et al. wood planes and read up on refurbishing them.  They are as different as night and day to a modern common wood plane.  You can buy good modern wood planes and cutters, but they normally are copies of old tools and cost a fortune.

The only way to get good hand working tools is to re purpose the old ones.  Modern tool utilize motors but lack the finesse and controllability of hand tools.

Better yet, the old tools are available for a song and with 20 minutes work will improve your skills greatly over modern.  Modern tools are fast, with no finesse.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, tous said:

When I teach younf'un's metal working, they don't go near a Dremel tool until they have worked with files, stones and garnet paper.

The same with wood working.  Learn to go slowly and carefully first, fast comes later.

Yes, old.

It is surprising how few people know how to use a file. Same problem with wood planes. Not only that, they don't even know about the variety of them that are available, and the particular use for each one.

Instead of berating people for what they do not know, I should just drop this information for those who are interested in Wool Planes and their uses.

https://www.collectorsweekly.com/hall-of-fame/view/patricks-blood-and-gore

Edited by janice6
Information
  • Like 2

I prefer the old, hand tools because I can feel the work, how is it cutting, are there odd spots in the stock, is this the right tool for the job?

You can't feel the work with a power tool.

I agree with you on planes.  What you can get at Home Depot is just awful.

I have several box planes my uncles owned that they inherited from their fathers and used and three generations haven't worn them out.

The same with files.

I always urge: buy a good tool and it will last a life time.  Buy a cheap tool and you will buy them over again and again for a lifetime.

Edited by tous
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, tous said:

Yes, old.

Measure twice, cut once

You can always cut it shorter, but you can’t cut it longer

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1