I Don't Remember The Last Time...

Eric

On 9/21/2018 at 6:24 PM, minervadoe said:

I don't remember the last time I changed a typewriter ribbon. :anim_rofl2::snoopy::Wow::smokin::dunno:

I did, yesterday.  On a vintage 1943 type writer.  Remington.   

I also added ink to my fountain pens today.  And responded to a Morse code transmission with a vintage 1940s j37 Morse Code key.    And changed a tire last night at a wedding while wearing a Stetson Fedora...

Mrs. Historian says I live in the past.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 9/19/2018 at 3:07 PM, tous said:

Or the last time I re-filled or put a new flint in a Zippo lighter.

Sometime this year.  I have about five of then. Mostly brass.  How anyone can live without one is a mystery to me.

It's like strappin on your Colt 1911 before leaving the house, or checking your pants for that Case Trapper in Red Bone, some things are universal.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, minervadoe said:

Boiling water in a kettle is something I still do from time to time, but having a microwave oven revolutionized snack time around here. 

Anybody remember those burlap sacks filled with water that people used to hang off the front of a radiator that Detroit installed in a car that needed a much larger radiator?

955288c4f68ec5ddd5611ada09f2153d.jpg

I have one hanging in my basement for old times sake. tom. :fred:

• Like 2

12 hours ago, tous said:

Yo-yos.

When was the last time you saw or played with a yo-yo?

Duncan used to have big displays of their wares in stores.

I could do most of the tricks when I was a lad.

Doug, I have a brand new red Duncan Imperial yo-yo in my dresser drawer along with a few Pez dispensers and some Hot Wheel cars. tom. ;)

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, deputy tom said:

I have one hanging in my basement for old times sake. tom. :fred:

Nothing like a stinky old canvas bag full of hot water to bring back those memories.  They say the sense of smell is especially pervasive in reviving old memories.  Which is why I make a point of not camping in musty old canvas tents. 

Hmmm, it would appear I have a 'thing' for that old canvas smell. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, deputy tom said:

Doug, I have a brand new red Duncan Imperial yo-yo in my dresser drawer along with a few Pez dispensers and some Hot Wheel cars. tom. ;)

I don't wish to sound like a curmudgeon, but when tom and I were lads, fun could be had with a five cent balsa glider, a one dollar PEZ dispenser or a two dollar Duncan yo-yo.

Pickup baseball, basketball or football was free, as was wandering though the woods or riding your bike.

Now, fun for kids costs thousands and I don't know if it's all that much fun for them.

I'm glad I grew up when I did.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, tous said:

I don't wish to sound like a curmudgeon, but when tom and I were lads, fun could be had with a five cent balsa glider, a one dollar PEZ dispenser or a two dollar Duncan yo-yo.

Pickup baseball, basketball or football was free, as was wandering though the woods or riding your bike.

Now, fun for kids costs thousands and I don't know if it's all that much fun for them.

You bet. tom. :cowboy2:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, tous said:

A carton (500 rounds) of .22 ammo could be had for the mighty sum of $3.00

• Like 2